Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:03 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1720 [95]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [23]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1129 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4614 [3]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
Re: Although the manager agreed to a more flexible work schedule, he said [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Maulikgmat wrote:
99. Although the manager agreed to a more flexible work schedule, he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is assigned to do.
(A) he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is
(B) he said it had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor knows what everyone is
(C) he said that they would have to post the assignments on the bulletin board so that management and labor knew what everyone was
(D) he said that the schedule would have to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone was
(E) saying that the schedule had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone had been
Here although part in past(agreed) ....he said(past) then it must be management (knew)---Plz clarify the use of tenses in the options
I need clarification between A, C and D....

you need a independent clause after the comma (or after the dependent clause in our case) so E doesn't make sense.
in E, 'saying that' here saying is 'verb' but who is saying it? so subject is missing.

'B' is wrong because this option needs a 'that clause' 'he said it' is wrong. and 'had to be' and 'is' ..doesnt make sense.

C ..'they' refers to what?
D is wrong for past tense use.
correct answer should start with 'he said that it' ...So A is fine.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Although the manager agreed to a more flexible work schedule, he said [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
99. Although the manager agreed to a more flexible work schedule, he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is assigned to do.
(A) he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is
(B) he said it had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor knows what everyone is
(C) he said that they would have to post the assignments on the bulletin board so that management and labor knew what everyone was
(D) he said that the schedule would have to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone was
(E) saying that the schedule had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone had been

the schedule is yet ot be poted so everyone " is " yet to know their assigned tasks ...
so straight away eliminate C,D,E ...

"Management and labor" should go with "know" as it is a plural usage .... so eliminate B as well.

A is right.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 799 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Maulikgmat wrote:
Here although part in past(agreed) ....he said(past) then it must be management (knew)---Plz clarify the use of tenses in the options
I need clarification between A, C and D....

Choice C contains “they” which incorrectly refers to work schedule. Hence Choice C is out.

Regarding A and D. “would have” is used in conditional statements Ex: If I had X, I would have Y.

If manager is putting conditions to agree for a more flexible schedule "would have" could have been a better choice. however in this case the manager has already agreed for a more flexible schedule. So a simple future tense would suffice
So D is out
Hence the correct sentence is A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Product management/entrepreneurship
Schools:UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
GMAT 2: 700  Q48  V38
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: SE - 1
WE 2: Engineer - 3
Send PM
(A) he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is <CORRECT>
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
 Q44  V37 GMAT 2: 680  Q49  V34
GPA: 2.5
Send PM
tommy how this sentence is conditional .... there is no IF ???? or must is making it conditional??
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey Jatt,

Yes, you're right. I meant future AND conditional issues can make the tenses go weird (hence the three different tenses in a single clause we get in answer choice A). This is just future tense here, not a conditional.

-t
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
@tommy
Isnt there an ambiguity in the option A
he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is

What must be posted,
1. The news that the manager has agreed to the schedule.
2. or the schedule itself.

Whereas this ambiguity is cleared in the option D.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 341 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
 Q49  V42
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Send PM
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey Jatt,

Yes, you're right. I meant future AND conditional issues can make the tenses go weird (hence the three different tenses in a single clause we get in answer choice A). This is just future tense here, not a conditional.

-t

Hi Tommy,
In your first reply u mentioned that
(B) Also, we would need "would know" after the past perfect.

Since this is not a conditional sentence , why do u need a "would"?
I thought would is only meant for a conditional.

E) saying that the schedule had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone had been
PROBLEM: No reason to use past perfects here.

But the last past perfect everyone had been allotted conveys that that people had been delegated their duties before the schedule was put up.

Tommy please let us know what a correct statement would look like as all the options appear to have problems.
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey Bala/Munda,

First Bala's question. "News" isn't in the sentence. The only things that can be antecedents are actual spoken nouns in the sentence, not ideas that are understood. So no, there is no ambiguity in A.

Munda, issue #1. We need "would" in B because they already used "would" in the sentence, so we have to stay that way, to maintain the meaning. This is really just logic (try to say the sentence without it).

Issue #2. You're right. You could defend the past perfect here. The bigger problem is that answer choice E doesn't create a full sentence (we start in a dependent clause, which we then modify).

I'm not going to write a correct sentence, if you don't mind. There are an infinite number of ways to write it correctly. A is one of them, it's just not pretty. I'd prefer it as a couple separate sentences, to deal with all the tense changing. : )

-t
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Although the manager agreed to a more flexible work schedule, he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is assigned to do.

Inconsistency between two timeframe : had to be posted on the bulletin board vs "know what everyone is"

(C) he said that they would have to post the assignments on the bulletin board so that management and labor knew what everyone was : what "they" here refers to??
(D) he said that the schedule would have to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone was : I though "was" is wrong here. But I am not sure.
(E) saying that the schedule had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone had been : E is not a sentence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Send PM
C is the one with the clearest flaw. The pronoun ‘they’ has no antecedent, so this one is incorrect. In D, ‘was’ is incorrect as it is a conditional phrase. E also has tense issues, as it is using the past perfect. B has an SV problem, ‘labor and management’ are plural so it should be ‘knew’ not ‘know’.

A seems to be the correct choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 173
Send PM
Although the manager agreed to a more flexible work schedule, he said [#permalink]

(B) he said it had to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor knows what everyone is --meaning chaneged

(C) he said that theywould have to post the assignments on the bulletin board so that management and labor knew what everyone was

(D) he said that the schedule would have to be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor would know what everyone was ---Wordy + must changed to would

ssandeepan wrote:
Although the manager agreed to a more flexible work schedule, he said that it must be posted on the bulletin board so that both management and labor will know what everyone is assigned to do.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 407
Send PM
Does gmat test you such weird constructions? Tenses are bizarre in option A ....

egmat

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [1]
Given Kudos: 94
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V46 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Tons of great discussion on this one, but nobody seems to have broken it down in a totally convincing way. So here I am!

ANSWER: This is a tough verb tense question. In the second clause we have a past tense verb and a future tense verb. This is not the most beautiful way to formulate this issue. Consider a smaller sentence: "Though I liked 'Inception', I told my friends that it must be seen so that everyone will discuss it with me." See how wrong that is? I "liked" it in the past, so why would I then go into the future for when people discuss it with me? Also, then we need YET ANOTHER tense, the present "is". That's three tenses in ONE CLAUSE. Ick! However, none of it is technically wrong. Still, is this an official question? I do not approve.

PROBLEM: Though the "had" is actually okay here, it goes wrong soon after. First, we would want "know" to match with the plural subject "management and labor". Also, we would need "would know" after the past perfect.

PROBLEM: There is no antecedent for the pronoun "they". Again, we would want "would know" instead of "knew".

PROBLEM: We can't justify the "was" at the end, because this is a conditional phrase, which is in the future. However, I still hate A.

Hope that helps, all! Remember the MOST IMPORTANT RULE for verb tense remains that you shouldn't change the tense if you don't have to. It's just these future/conditional situations that can get hairy.

-t

Would you agree that changing “must be” with “has to be” makes A more palatable?

According to some internet research, we “use ‘have to’ when somebody else other than the speaker has made the decision.”

The next step would be recognizing that the use of “to be” requires using “will”.

Lmk what you think!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Tons of great discussion on this one, but nobody seems to have broken it down in a totally convincing way. So here I am!

ANSWER: This is a tough verb tense question. In the second clause we have a past tense verb and a future tense verb. This is not the most beautiful way to formulate this issue. Consider a smaller sentence: "Though I liked 'Inception', I told my friends that it must be seen so that everyone will discuss it with me." See how wrong that is? I "liked" it in the past, so why would I then go into the future for when people discuss it with me? Also, then we need YET ANOTHER tense, the present "is". That's three tenses in ONE CLAUSE. Ick! However, none of it is technically wrong. Still, is this an official question? I do not approve.

PROBLEM: Though the "had" is actually okay here, it goes wrong soon after. First, we would want "know" to match with the plural subject "management and labor". Also, we would need "would know" after the past perfect.

PROBLEM: There is no antecedent for the pronoun "they". Again, we would want "would know" instead of "knew".

PROBLEM: We can't justify the "was" at the end, because this is a conditional phrase, which is in the future. However, I still hate A.

Hope that helps, all! Remember the MOST IMPORTANT RULE for verb tense remains that you shouldn't change the tense if you don't have to. It's just these future/conditional situations that can get hairy.

-t

COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU MEAN BY "you should never change the tense if you don't have to" ??? thanks, it could be a good rule to know,..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
ssandeepan wrote:

C, D, and E all use the wrong verb tense for the context, "A schedule was posted" so in the future we "will know what everyone is assigned to do"

B is still an incorrect verb tense and focuses on the immediate tense

A is correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 223
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
I got stuck between A and D. can you please explain more why D is incorrect.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts