It is currently 18 Jan 2018, 02:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although the organizers of the famous English rock festival Glass Town

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2015
Posts: 888

Kudos [?]: 1990 [2], given: 302

Location: Switzerland
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Although the organizers of the famous English rock festival Glass Town [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2015, 10:02
2
This post received
KUDOS
11
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (01:19) correct 42% (01:10) wrong based on 383 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although the organizers of the famous English rock festival Glass Town Berry have provided appropriate camping arrangements for festival-goers, the number of attendants who chose to sleep in a tent over accommodation in nearby towns have amounted to a mere sum of 30,000, a meager 10% of the total number of tickets sold.

A. the number of attendants who chose to sleep in a tent over accomodation in nearby towns have amounted to a mere sum of 30,000
B. the number of attendants, who chose to sleep in a tent over accommodation in nearby towns, has amounted to merely 30,000
C. the number of attendants who chose to sleep in a tent over accommodation in nearby towns has amounted to a mere sum of 30,000
D. attendants who chose to sleep in a tent over accommodation in nearby towns has amounted to merely 30,000
E. the number of attendants who chose to sleep in a tent over accommodation in nearby towns has amounted to a mere 30,000
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Kudos [?]: 1990 [2], given: 302

Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2015
Posts: 888

Kudos [?]: 1990 [0], given: 302

Location: Switzerland
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Although the organizers of the famous English rock festival Glass Town [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2015, 09:44
Maybe someone wants to explain why B is wrong? I think this is a key-takeaway from this question.

Any volunteers?
_________________

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Kudos [?]: 1990 [0], given: 302

3 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2014
Posts: 138

Kudos [?]: 260 [3], given: 49

GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Re: Although the organizers of the famous English rock festival Glass Town [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2015, 11:23
3
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I can try.

A. the number of attendants who chose to sleep in a tent over accomodation in nearby towns have amounted to a mere sum of 30,000
1) "amounted...sum". Redundant usage.
2) "the number..have" Incorrect SV pair

B. the number of attendants, who chose to sleep in a tent over accommodation in nearby towns, has amounted to merely 30,000
By putting "who chose...towns" within commas, the modifier has been rendered non-essential. Now the sentence means "the number of attendants has amount to merely 30,000". This is incorrect as there is only specific type of "attendants" who has "amounted to merely 30,000", not ALL.

C. the number of attendants who chose to sleep in a tent over accommodation in nearby towns has amounted to a mere sum of 30,000
"amounted...sum". Redundant usage.

D. attendants who chose to sleep in a tent over accommodation in nearby towns has amounted to merely 30,000
1) "merely" as an adverb incorrectly modifies "30,000".
2) "attendants" cannot amount to "30,000", only a "number" can

E. the number of attendants who chose to sleep in a tent over accommodation in nearby towns has amounted to a mere 30,000
CORRECT
_________________

Please consider giving Kudos if you like my explanation :)

Kudos [?]: 260 [3], given: 49

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Jun 2015
Posts: 27

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 1

Although the organizers of the famous English rock festival Glass Town [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2015, 11:38
reto wrote:
Maybe someone wants to explain why B is wrong? I think this is a key-takeaway from this question.

Any volunteers?



Apart from the modifier error, the use the adverb 'merely' for 'the number' is imprecise. We need an adjective here.



Happy Prepping! :-D
Dolly

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 1

Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2015
Posts: 888

Kudos [?]: 1990 [0], given: 302

Location: Switzerland
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Although the organizers of the famous English rock festival Glass Town [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2015, 12:17
Patronus wrote:
I can try.

A. the number of attendants who chose to sleep in a tent over accomodation in nearby towns have amounted to a mere sum of 30,000
1) "amounted...sum". Redundant usage.
2) "the number..have" Incorrect SV pair

B. the number of attendants, who chose to sleep in a tent over accommodation in nearby towns, has amounted to merely 30,000
By putting "who chose...towns" within commas, the modifier has been rendered non-essential. Now the sentence means "the number of attendants has amount to merely 30,000". This is incorrect as there is only specific type of "attendants" who has "amounted to merely 30,000", not ALL.

C. the number of attendants who chose to sleep in a tent over accommodation in nearby towns has amounted to a mere sum of 30,000
"amounted...sum". Redundant usage.

D. attendants who chose to sleep in a tent over accommodation in nearby towns has amounted to merely 30,000
1) "merely" as an adverb incorrectly modifies "30,000".
2) "attendants" cannot amount to "30,000", only a "number" can

E. the number of attendants who chose to sleep in a tent over accommodation in nearby towns has amounted to a mere 30,000
CORRECT


Very good indeed. Here's the official answer from The Economist:
Although this answer choice corrects both original mistakes, it is illogical. By adding the commas on both sides of the relative clause who chose to sleep in a tent over accommodation in nearby towns, this answer choice turns thedefining relative clause into a non-defining relative clause. The original sentence with the defining relative clause focused on the number of attendants who slept in tents, which was only 10% of the total number of attendants. However, in this answer choice the relative clause is non-defining. Thus, this focus is lost and the sentence seems to refer to the number of attendants while noting that attendants slept in tents. Clearly, the number of attendants cannot be only 10% of the (very same) total number of attendants.
_________________

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Kudos [?]: 1990 [0], given: 302

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10262

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Although the organizers of the famous English rock festival Glass Town [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2016, 04:12
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Board of Directors
User avatar
G
Status: QA & VA Forum Moderator
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 3224

Kudos [?]: 1174 [0], given: 327

Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Although the organizers of the famous English rock festival Glass Town [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2016, 09:49
reto wrote:
Although the organizers of the famous English rock festival Glass Town Berry have provided appropriate camping arrangements for festival-goers, the number of attendants who chose to sleep in a tent over accommodation in nearby towns have amounted to a mere sum of 30,000, a meager 10% of the total number of tickets sold.

A. the number of attendants who chose to sleep in a tent over accomodation in nearby towns have amounted to a mere sum of 30,000
B. the number of attendants, who chose to sleep in a tent over accommodation in nearby towns, has amounted to merely 30,000
C. the number of attendants who chose to sleep in a tent over accommodation in nearby towns has amounted to a mere sum of 30,000
D. attendants who chose to sleep in a tent over accommodation in nearby towns has amounted to merely 30,000
E. the number of attendants who chose to sleep in a tent over accommodation in nearby towns has amounted to a mere 30,000


IMHO (E) for the highlighted errors...
_________________

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1174 [0], given: 327

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2015
Posts: 70

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 24

Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
Re: Although the organizers of the famous English rock festival Glass Town [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 09:37
reto wrote:
Although the organizers of the famous English rock festival Glass Town Berry have provided appropriate camping arrangements for festival-goers, the number of attendants who chose to sleep in a tent over accommodation in nearby towns have amounted to a mere sum of 30,000, a meager 10% of the total number of tickets sold.

A. the number of attendants who chose to sleep in a tent over accomodation in nearby towns have amounted to a mere sum of 30,000
B. the number of attendants, who chose to sleep in a tent over accommodation in nearby towns, has amounted to merely 30,000
C. the number of attendants who chose to sleep in a tent over accommodation in nearby towns has amounted to a mere sum of 30,000
D. attendants who chose to sleep in a tent over accommodation in nearby towns has amounted to merely 30,000
E. the number of attendants who chose to sleep in a tent over accommodation in nearby towns has amounted to a mere 30,000


The difference between B & E is the use of merely. I think merely cannot be used to define 30,000 which is a noun.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 24

SVP
SVP
avatar
G
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1860

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 2406

Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Although the organizers of the famous English rock festival Glass Town [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 19:54
A. the number of attendants who chose to sleep in a tent over accomodation in nearby towns have amounted to a mere sum of 30,000 -> amount to & a sum of are redundant
B. the number of attendants, who chose to sleep in a tent over accommodation in nearby towns, has amounted to merely 30,000 -> this phrase lies between commas, but the phrase is important and cannot be redundant.
C. the number of attendants who chose to sleep in a tent over accommodation in nearby towns has amounted to a mere sum of 30,000 -> same to A
D. attendants who chose to sleep in a tent over accommodation in nearby towns has amounted to merely 30,000
E. the number of attendants who chose to sleep in a tent over accommodation in nearby towns has amounted to a mere 30,000 -> mere or merely is not the main issue here -> correct

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 2406

Although the organizers of the famous English rock festival Glass Town   [#permalink] 04 Jan 2018, 19:54
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Although the organizers of the famous English rock festival Glass Town

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.