Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [6]
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.61
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: Although Vs. Even Though [#permalink]
Although can be used with fragments, whereas you can't use 'even though' with fragments(only with clauses).

Eg :
You, although promised to take me out, you were busy preparing for GMAT.

Here you can't use 'even though'. Otherwise, generally they are interchangeable.

'even though' is used when you want to put some extra stress on some clause.

Generally, GMAT won't test you on this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 711 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Schools: IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi All,

Is it a thumb rule that "Although" and "Even Though" must be followed by a noun ?

Cheers!!!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
The distinction is not significant in the context of the exam. I would not worry about this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 630 Q53 V50
GRE 1: Q160 V161
Send PM
Although and even though are both conjunctions that are used to introduce a clause that contrasts with the main clause. However, there are some subtle differences in their usage.

Although is generally used to introduce a clause that is less important or less surprising than the main clause. For example, you might say "Although I was tired, I went to the party." In this sentence, the fact that the speaker was tired is less important than the fact that they went to the party.

Even though is generally used to introduce a clause that is more important or more surprising than the main clause. For example, you might say "Even though I was tired, I went to the party." In this sentence, the fact that the speaker was tired is more important than the fact that they went to the party.

In GMAT SC, although and even though are often used to introduce a contrast between two ideas. For example, you might see a sentence like this:

Although the company's profits were down, the CEO gave himself a raise.

In this sentence, the fact that the company's profits were down is contrasted with the fact that the CEO gave himself a raise. The GMAT might ask you to choose between although and even though in this sentence. In this case, even though would be the better choice because it is more emphatic and conveys the contrast more strongly.

However, there are some cases where although and even though can be used interchangeably. For example, you might see a sentence like this:

Although/Even though the movie was long, I enjoyed it.

In this sentence, the fact that the movie was long is not particularly important or surprising. Therefore, either although or even though could be used.

Ultimately, the best way to choose between although and even though is to consider the context and meaning of the sentence. If the clause that is being introduced is less important or less surprising than the main clause, then although is the better choice. If the clause that is being introduced is more important or more surprising than the main clause, then even though is the better choice.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts