It is currently 21 Aug 2017, 22:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Am I fit with Fuqua (Duke)?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: CBS '18 (S)
GPA: 3.8
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Am I fit with Fuqua (Duke)? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2015, 08:26
Hey guys,

I am preparing for this year's application season and trying to pick over a couple of schools to apply in the first round. Being an international applicant, I find it quite complicated to figure out with which business school communities I have a cultural fit. For this reason I created a short survey with a few psychometric questions:

http://www.diomtest.com/polls/view/p:93 ... M7oGSKgTRW

If you are an alumnus, current student, or recent admit to Fuqua, I am kindly asking you to spend one minute of your time to reply on this survey. It will really help me to make the right choice.

Thank you,
Daivik

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 18 [2] , given: 10

Schools: Fuqua (I), AGSM '16
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Am I fit with Fuqua (Duke)? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2015, 08:45
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Daivik,

I just got admitted to Fuqua and I can tell you that the community really sweeps you off your feet from the start.
Fuqua emphasizes team work, the "Team Fuqua" culture, and that is what really caught my attention and what made me apply to the school.
I haven't started my first day at school and I already talked to several current students to ask for their help regarding a fellowship that I'm applying to in Investment Banking and they provided me with their time without hesitation. This example resonates the university's ethos and I can only look forward to meeting many more like-minded classmates.

I believe that the curricula among all top-tier business schools are pretty much the same, and they all open basically the same doors: Google, Mckinsey, Apple, Amazon, Goldman Sachs, they are all top recruiting among these schools.

So, that makes the "experiential" part pivotal and a key factor in order to determine if you want to pursue a degree in X or Y school. Or at least that was my conclusion.

I hope this is helpful in some way, in case you want to talk more about my process, you can add me on skype, just PM me.

Bests,
Enael

Kudos [?]: 18 [2] , given: 10

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2015, 17:19
Hi Enael,

Thank you for sharing your insight - very helpful and I agree with your points.

Sure, talking to current students in person is essential. I just wanted to do some pre-screening with a survey before I proceed to more careful research.

Daivik

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2015, 23:46
Thanks everyone who replied to the survey above. By now I've got 5 responses. Here is a brief summary of the results.
Overall the analyzed treatment group was quite consistent:

The only questions that did not unite the group in its opinion were the 1st and to a lesser degree the 4th:

As for myself, the test showed that my personality has quite high similarity with the group:

Thus, this test suggests that Fuqua's community could be a good fit to me.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.45
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2015, 04:06
Liked the poll idea though it's a bit unclear how that would help see how you fit into the school. Curious to know!

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2015, 09:27
abdc99 wrote:
Liked the poll idea though it's a bit unclear how that would help see how you fit into the school. Curious to know!

Well, the assumption here is that, along with hard stats like GMAT and work experience, the admission committee intentionally or unintentionally looks for people of some specific personality type to be admitted.

Through surveying a group of school admits I hope to identify what those personality traits are likely to be, i.e. on what questions of the survey most admits give the same answer. Let's call these questions «consistent».

After that I take the survey myself and check if my answers to «consistent» questions align with the group's answers. As a result, I get an estimate of how well I could fit with the school's community on personal level.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 35

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2015, 14:14
This post received
KUDOS
Daivik wrote:
abdc99 wrote:

Well, the assumption here is that, along with hard stats like GMAT and work experience, the admission committee intentionally or unintentionally looks for people of some specific personality type to be admitted.

Through surveying a group of school admits I hope to identify what those personality traits are likely to be, i.e. on what questions of the survey most admits give the same answer. Let's call these questions «consistent».

After that I take the survey myself and check if my answers to «consistent» questions align with the group's answers. As a result, I get an estimate of how well I could fit with the school's community on personal level.

Not to sound like a douche but you would need to run the survey to people that have tried and failed to get in Fuqua and and have a survey done to none applicants (control group, distribution, etc)... But hey! In the end is about convincing oneself ;-)

Fugazi, fugazi

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 35

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 17

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.65
WE: Analyst (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2015, 07:20
Hi Guys,

I will be applying in the application round one in September 2015. I aim for an Associate profile at an Infrastructure Investment Bank after completing my MBA. I will be highly obliged if you guys could take some time out to help me gain better understanding of the program. Your response to my queries will be highly appreciated.

1. What is the general teaching methodology for courses in Finance Concentration? Is it case study based or quantitative? Does these courses involve the use of any programming language such as C++ or R?

2. Roughly, what proportion of the students with concentration in finance get recruited for financial advisory role at a consulting firm? (this is my back up plan).

Also if there is anything that I should know before I apply, please do share. Thanks a lot for your time.

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 17

Re: Am I fit with Fuqua (Duke)?   [#permalink] 28 Jun 2015, 07:20