GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 06 Aug 2020, 03:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Among the members of the company lauded for their notable effort were

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Among the members of the company lauded for their notable effort were  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Jul 2020, 04:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (01:13) correct 31% (01:31) wrong based on 157 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Among the members of the company lauded for their notable effort were those from the Midwest division who were either actively involved in improving the customer service experience or developing new approaches to long term customer relationship management.

(A) in improving the customer service experience or developing new approaches to long term customer relationship management.

(B) in improving the customer service experience or to develop new approaches to long term customer relationship management.

(C) in improving the customer service experience or in developing new approaches to long term customer relationship management.

(D) to improve the customer service experience or developing new approaches to long term management of customer relationship.

(E) to improve the customer service experience or to develop new approaches to long term customer relationship management.

Originally posted by monikakumar on 16 Jul 2020, 04:17.
Last edited by Bunuel on 16 Jul 2020, 04:22, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic.
PS Forum Moderator
P
GPA: 4
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Among the members of the company lauded for their notable effort were  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2020, 05:19
Among the members of the company lauded for their notable effort were those from the Midwest division who were either actively involved in improving the customer service experience or developing new approaches to long term customer relationship management.

(A) in improving the customer service experience or (Missing preposition) developing new approaches to long term customer relationship management.

(B) in improving the customer service experience or to develop new approaches to long term customer relationship management.

(C) in improving the customer service experience or in developing new approaches to long term customer relationship management.

(D) to improve the customer service experience or (Missing preposition) developing new approaches to long term management of customer relationship.

(E) to improve the customer service experience or to develop new approaches to long term customer relationship management.

To depicts movement/ action, placing one thing in other. for ex: He moved to USA last year
while In depicts the place one is already situated at. for ex- He lives in USA.

Here the Noun is already doing the verb, so "in" is better word in place of "To", because noun place is not changed.

Hence Answer is C
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Among the members of the company lauded for their notable effort were  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2020, 07:29
yashikaaggarwal wrote:

(A) in improving the customer service experience or (Missing preposition) developing new approaches to long term customer relationship management.

(D) to improve the customer service experience or (Missing preposition) developing new approaches to long term management of customer relationship.

To depicts movement/ action, placing one thing in other. for ex: He moved to USA last year

Here the Noun is already doing the verb, so "in" is better word in place of "To", because noun place is not changed.

Hence Answer is C

Hi yashikaaggarwal,

My doubt here is
"either in X or in Y" should be the structure
so whatever is present before X should be repeated for Y also right

So, in this question,
"either actively involved in improving or in developing" should be written as
"either actively involved in improving or actively involved in developing" right

Please clarify.

Thanks.
PS Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2020, 08:25
monikakumar wrote:
yashikaaggarwal wrote:

Hence Answer is C

Hi yashikaaggarwal,

My doubt here is
"either in X or in Y" should be the structure
so whatever is present before X should be repeated for Y also right

So, in this question,
"either actively involved in improving or in developing" should be written as
"either actively involved in improving or actively involved in developing" right

Please clarify.

Thanks.

Your's statement is grammatically correct, but why should we add more words when we can have unambiguous statement within few words?
Not an SC Expert or something, but i read in Manhattan that GMAT SC prefer less words which state the exact meaning as the longer statement does.
Plus GMAT Never says the answer is the best choice, but the most logical among rest, And C is more logical here.
The main difference among options is the preposition Choice.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2020, 08:36
As per OA The sentence structure is "from the Midwest division who were either actively involved in improving the customer service experience or in developing new ..." . Here 'actively involved' is creating confusion. the sentence structure after 'either' and 'or' should be similar.
if the sentence structure would have been "from the Midwest division who were actively involved either in improving the customer service experience or in developing new ..." then this sentence would have been much clear.

So help me in understanding why B is correct answer. yashikaaggarwal
PS Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2020, 08:39
abhee84 wrote:
As per OA The sentence structure is "from the Midwest division who were either actively involved in improving the customer service experience or in developing new ..." . Here 'actively involved' is creating confusion. the sentence structure after 'either' and 'or' should be similar.
if the sentence structure would have been "from the Midwest division who were actively involved either in improving the customer service experience or in developing new ..." then this sentence would have been much clear.

Well abhee84 B is not the answer. Neither the question says so, nor my explanation. can you elaborate your query?
Thank you
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2020, 09:01
yashikaaggarwal wrote:
abhee84 wrote:

Well abhee84 B is not the answer. Neither the question says so, nor my explanation. can you elaborate your query?
Thank you

My apologies. I wanted to ask, why C is correct answer?
in the " Either ...Or.." sentences, the structures after 'either' and 'or' should be parallel. If we read entire sentence using C option, the sentence will be "Among the members of the company lauded for their notable effort were those from the Midwest division who were either actively involved in improving the customer service experience or in developing new approaches to long term customer relationship management." Here 'actively involved' is coming just after either but not after Or. To make the sentence parallel the 'actively involved' should have come prior to 'either'

"Among the members of the company lauded for their notable effort were those from the Midwest division who were actively involved either in improving the customer service experience or in developing new approaches to long term customer relationship management."

is my understanding correct? yashikaaggarwal
PS Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2020, 09:07
abhee84 wrote:
yashikaaggarwal wrote:
abhee84 wrote:

Thank you

in the " Either ...Or.." sentences, the structures after 'either' and 'or' should be parallel. If we read entire sentence using C option, the sentence will be "Among the members of the company lauded for their notable effort were those from the Midwest division who were either actively involved in improving the customer service experience or in developing new approaches to long term customer relationship management." Here 'actively involved' is coming just after either but not after Or. To make the sentence parallel the 'actively involved' should have come prior to 'either'

"Among the members of the company lauded for their notable effort were those from the Midwest division who were actively involved either in improving the customer service experience or in developing new approaches to long term customer relationship management."

I get your point, but as we know GMAT answer has not to be perfect but should be logical among rest, the main problem i find in the question is of preposition In and to, so by analyzing that we can say either in X or in Y (the correct form) which is only used in option C, and even if we want to negate option C as answer i find no other option logical enough to use in the main passage.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2020, 09:17
yashikaaggarwal wrote:
abhee84 wrote:
yashikaaggarwal wrote:
abhee84 wrote:

Thank you

I get your point, but as we know GMAT answer has not to be perfect but should be logical among rest, the main problem i find in the question is of preposition In and to, so by analyzing that we can say either in X or in Y (the correct form) which is only used in option C, and even if we want to negate option C as answer i find no other option logical enough to use in the main passage.

Got it. Thanks. :)
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
WE: Corporate Finance (Computer Hardware)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2020, 10:34
yashikaaggarwal

Quick question, my understanding is when we say : Either in X or In Y, here "in" is common and therefore a better presentation without distorting the meaning could also be : Either in X or Y by simply substituting "in" for both X and Y.

Based on reasoning above I chose A. Can you explain why can we not substitute "in" for both the phrases?

Appreciate your response.

Regards,
Shubham
PS Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2020, 10:44
ShubhamRastogi wrote:
yashikaaggarwal

Quick question, my understanding is when we say : Either in X or In Y, here "in" is common and therefore a better presentation without distorting the meaning could also be : Either in X or Y by simply substituting "in" for both X and Y.

Based on reasoning above I chose A. Can you explain why can we not substitute "in" for both the phrases?

Appreciate your response.

Regards,
Shubham

We want to show cast what employees are actively participating in, the preposition is necessary if we want to determine the place or position of employees in the verb done in the passage. " in improving the customer service experience or developing new approaches" don't showcase the role of employee in the second work "developing" however, In preposition is rectifying the error.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2020, 07:37
in improving the customer service experience or in developing
Can the common word "In" not be removed?
Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 3.9
Among the members of the company lauded for their notable effort were  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2020, 02:55
singhamit06 wrote:
in improving the customer service experience or in developing
Can the common word "In" not be removed?

In general helping words can either be kept once outside, twice inside or in a list of more than two once outside or always inside.

"was advised of x, y, and z" - correct
"was advised of x and z" - correct
"was advised of x and of z" - correct
"was advised of x, of y, and z" - incorrect

However, in this sentence we have a correlative conjunction "either X or Y" which demands us to repeat the preposition.
Among the members of the company lauded for their notable effort were   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2020, 02:55

Among the members of the company lauded for their notable effort were

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics