Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [22]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 273 [5]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 435
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GPA: 3.27
WE:General Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: Among the reasons for the decline of New England agriculture in the la [#permalink]
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 31 Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Among the reasons for the decline of New England agriculture in the last three decades were the high cost of land, the pressure of housing and commercial development, and basing a marketing and distribution system on importing produce from Florida and California.

(A) basing a marketing and distribution system on importing produce from Florida and California

(B) basing a marketing and distribution system on the imported produce of Florida and California

(C) basing a system of marketing and distribution on the import of produce from Florida and California

(D) a marketing and distribution system based on importing produce from Florida and California

(E) a marketing and distribution system importing produce from Florida and California as its base

NOTE: IN YOUR ANSWER, PLEASE STATE THE MEANING OF THE QUESTION IN YOUR OWN WORDS.

The best or excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.

The question states "among the reasons for this were," since it is going to state reasons, three of them it gave earlier and to maintain parallelism, we can eliminate A. B and C. Between D & E, E states that they are importing produce as Florida and California as its base. Seems wordy and nonsensical. So, IMO, option D
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Among the reasons for the decline of New England agriculture in the la [#permalink]
Quote:
Among the reasons for the decline of New England agriculture in the last three decades were the high cost of land, the pressure of housing and commercial development, and basing a marketing and distribution system on importing produce from Florida and California.

The sentence tests parallelism in terms of the reasons for the decline of New England agriculture in the last three decades.
What are these reasons?
  • high cost of land, (nouns cost and land connected by and)
  • the pressure of housing and commercial development, and (nouns pressure and development connected by and)
  • marketing and distribution system importing produce from Florida and California. (noun phrase with noun: sytem and verb-ing importing modifying system

Ypsychotic

Quote:
The question states "among the reasons for this were," since it is going to state reasons, three of them it gave earlier and to maintain parallelism, we can eliminate A. B and C.
:thumbup:

Quote:
Between D & E, E states that they are importing produce as Florida and California as its base. Seems wordy and nonsensical. So, IMO, option D

Who are they in your analysis?

As per my view in D and E, verb-ed based and importing correctly modifies preceding noun system.
The issue with E is: Its is a pronoun with referent to a singular noun. But which noun it refers to: Florida or California?
This ambiguity is unaccepted in GMAT.

generis aragonn VeritasKarishma AjiteshArun let me know your thoughts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Among the reasons for the decline of New England agriculture in the la [#permalink]
Kudos
The question really tests your ability to get the parallelism correct in this question. Since the sentence starts with "Among the reasons", you are certain to have more than 2 reasons.
Now, if you look at the statement, the sentence gives you 3 different reasons. 1) the high cost of land 2) the pressure of housing and commercial development 3) basing a marketing and distribution system. The error lies in the 3rd reason since it is not parallel to the other 2.
The first 2 reasons are in the form of "Noun Phrase", so we should look at options that state the 3rd reason in "Noun Phase" form.

(A) basing a marketing and distribution system on importing produce from Florida and California - Wrong because of parallelism issue

(B) basing a marketing and distribution system on the imported produce of Florida and California - Wrong because of parallelism issue

(C) basing a system of marketing and distribution on the import of produce from Florida and California - Wrong because of parallelism issue

(D) a marketing and distribution system based on importing produce from Florida and California - Perfect. Keep this choice.

(E) a marketing and distribution system importing produce from Florida and California as its base - Wrong because of meaning error. "System"cannot import produce from Florida and California

Hope the explanation is clear.
Thanks !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 560 Q37 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q36 V35
Send PM
My answer is "D".

The sentence has a smooth parallel structure, and is concise.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Kudos
adkikani - I have eliminated E on the basis of meaning, among other issues ofcourse. E is employing that system is importing produce. while we are really looking for a system which is based on this idea. A subtle change in meaning. in addition I can't see "as its base" fit in, as you have mentioned in your choice. However without that part i think D is a better choice than E is.
Quote:
(D) a marketing and distribution system based on importing produce from Florida and California

(E) a marketing and distribution system importing produce from Florida and California as its base
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [4]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Among the reasons for the decline of New England agriculture in the la [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
generis wrote:

(A) basing a marketing and distribution system on importing produce from Florida and California
(B) basing a marketing and distribution system on the imported produce of Florida and California
(C) basing a system of marketing and distribution on the import of produce from Florida and California

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION
My annotations are in blue typeface.

• Choices A, B, and C can be faulted for putting a verb phrase, basing . . .
where a noun phrase is needed to continue the list of parallel elements,
[a list] that begins with the high cost of land, the pressure of housing . . .

• Also, the "imported produce" in B suggests that the system is based on the produce itself
rather than on the practice of importing produce.

• In C, the import of produce is unidiomatic.
"Importing produce" and the "importation of produce" are both acceptable,
and the former is much more likely to show up than the latter.
This detail is very small. Use the other basis (absence of parallelism) to eliminate C.

• D, the best choice, presents a noun phrase (. . . a marking and distribution system)
that completes the list of parallel elements and refers to the act of importing produce.

• E also supplies the noun phrase but states illogically that the system imports produce as its [the system's] base.

COMMENTS

Welcome to GMAT Club , Ypsychotic (great username) and @Topper87 , and a belated welcome, Shah10 :)

I'm glad that you posted, aanjumz92 amd shubham1985

And of course, I always appreciate posts from longer-term members who consistently make these threads really helpful.

There are many good answers! I really like the analysis.

I still have the impression that "meaning in your own words" isn't quite understood.

This part from aanjumz92 is an excellent start:
The question is essentially talking about three reasons that agriculture declined in New England in the last 30 years.

Here is the correct answer, D, inserted into the sentence:
Among the reasons for the decline of New England agriculture in the last three decades were the high cost of land, the pressure of housing and commercial development, and a marketing and distribution system based on importing produce from Florida and California

Rewrite: Three facts help account for the 30-year decline of agriculture in New England:
costly land that farmers couldn't afford, less land available for farming, and
[some vague and abstract] infrastructure/system whose basis includes having imported too much produce from other states,
thus pushing New England produce farmers out of the market.

I know that it's a pain in the neck to rewrite meaning.
I don't always ask for meaning.

The good news is that no matter how fluent we think we are,
if we write down meaning while practicing, we start absorbing
both SC patterns (invaluable) and the subtle traps or tricks that GMAC uses.

HERE is an interesting article
written by a guy who had excellent command of grammar but who botched SC so badly that he got a tutor!
Among other things, he stresses that active reading is (1) imperative and (2) hard to develop.
Guess what having to write down the meaning requires? :cool: :-D

Prateekj05 , aanjumz92 , and shubham1985 have excellent answers. Kudos, :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
generis wrote:

For SC butler Questions Click Here

A, B, and C all break parallelism since the sentence is "were the cost, the pressure, and". We need a noun to start the last reason.

E is using "importing" which is incorrect since the reasons were in the past

D is the most correct
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts