GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 04:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

Among the world's famous volcanic mountains are Mount Vesuvius in Ital

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Among the world's famous volcanic mountains are Mount Vesuvius in Ital  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2015, 11:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:20) correct 46% (01:17) wrong based on 310 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Among the world's famous volcanic mountains are Mount Vesuvius in Italy, which erupted in 1944, and Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, with its three extinct cones.

A. are Mount Vesuvius in Italy, which erupted in 1944, and Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, with its three extinct cones
B. are Mount Vesuvius, which erupted in 1944 in Italy, as well as Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, with its three extinct cones
C. is the Italian Mount Vesuvius, which erupted in 1944, along with the three extinct cones of Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania
D. are Mount Vesuvius in Italy and Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania; the former erupted in 1944 whereas the latter has three extinct cones.
E. are the erupting Italian Mount Vesuvius of 1994 and the three-coned extinct Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Intern
Intern
Re: Among the world's famous volcanic mountains are Mount Vesuvius in Ital  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2015, 12:00
A is correct. The structure of the sentence is parallel - Mount Vesuvius in Italy and Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania.
B the meaning of the sentence is changed. It seems that mount Vesuvius erupted in Italy.
C the structure is not parallel - mount Vesuvius and three extinct cones.
D the structure is less concise than that in A
E Original sentence states that the action of eruption was in the past, therefore present participle "erupting" is not applicable. Also "mount of 1994" means that it is the mountain of the year 1994, rather than it was the eruption in 1994.
Current Student
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.15
WE: Analyst (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: Among the world's famous volcanic mountains are Mount Vesuvius in Ital  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2015, 13:07
I don't think "A" is the right choice.
I think the right choice is "D"

A. are Mount Vesuvius in Italy, which erupted in 1944, and Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, with its three extinct cones - "...in Italy, which erupted..." makes it confusing to understand what "which" refers to.
B. are Mount Vesuvius, which erupted in 1944 in Italy, as well as Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, with its three extinct cones - "as well as" is wordy.
C. is the Italian Mount Vesuvius, which erupted in 1944, along with the three extinct cones of Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania - this choice is trying to make Vesuvius parallel to three extinct cones, making sentence illogical.
D. are Mount Vesuvius in Italy and Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania; the former erupted in 1944 whereas the latter has three extinct cones. - I think it's the best choice
E. are the erupting Italian Mount Vesuvius of 1994 and the three-coned extinct Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania - "the erupting Italian Mount Vesuvius of 1994" - awkward.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2015, 23:07
A looks correct. 'which' can modify noun + prep phrase.
Waiting for OA
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2015, 01:13
reto wrote:
Among the world's famous volcanic mountains are Mount Vesuvius in Italy, which erupted in 1944, and Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, with its three extinct cones.

A. are Mount Vesuvius in Italy, which erupted in 1944, and Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, with its three extinct cones
B. are Mount Vesuvius, which erupted in 1944 in Italy, as well as Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, with its three extinct cones
C. is the Italian Mount Vesuvius, which erupted in 1944, along with the three extinct cones of Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania
D. are Mount Vesuvius in Italy and Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania; the former erupted in 1944 whereas the latter has three extinct cones.
E. are the erupting Italian Mount Vesuvius of 1994 and the three-coned extinct Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania

A. are Mount Vesuvius in Italy, which erupted in 1944, and Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, with its three extinct cones > which erupted wrongly refers to Italy
B. are Mount Vesuvius, which erupted in 1944 in Italy, as well as Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, with its three extinct cones > The correct idiom is "Among A AND B" not "as well as"
C. is the Italian Mount Vesuvius, which erupted in 1944, along with the three extinct cones of Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania > Subject verb agreement
D. are Mount Vesuvius in Italy and Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania; the former erupted in 1944 whereas the latter has three extinct cones. This Answer is most concise with correct clauses.
E. are the erupting Italian Mount Vesuvius of 1994 and the three-coned extinct Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania > just sounds akward, the Mount Vesuvius of 1994?

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2015, 22:18
How is "which" wrongly referring to Italy? "Which" here correctly refers to the "Mount Vesuvius" since there is no other logical referrent for which. "Which" can refer to the subject in prepositional phrases....

reto wrote:
reto wrote:

A. are Mount Vesuvius in Italy, which erupted in 1944, and Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, with its three extinct cones > which erupted wrongly refers to Italy
B. are Mount Vesuvius, which erupted in 1944 in Italy, as well as Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, with its three extinct cones > The correct idiom is "Among A AND B" not "as well as"
C. is the Italian Mount Vesuvius, which erupted in 1944, along with the three extinct cones of Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania > Subject verb agreement
D. are Mount Vesuvius in Italy and Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania; the former erupted in 1944 whereas the latter has three extinct cones. This Answer is most concise with correct clauses.
E. are the erupting Italian Mount Vesuvius of 1994 and the three-coned extinct Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania > just sounds akward, the Mount Vesuvius of 1994?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2015, 00:46
reto wrote:

i was also inclined towards option D at first. But how do i know for sure that 'former and latter refers to the mountains and not the countries?
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2015, 02:36
IMO D has a short coming in meaning —It unnecessarily tries to introduce a contrast through the word whereas, which is not intended by the original. The eruption in 1944 and the three extinct cones are independent features of the two subjects and not ones contrasting each other. If a contrast was intended, then it should say, Mount V erupted in 1944 whereas Mount K erupted in say in 1965. Vice versa, it could also say Mount V has five extinct cones whereas Mount K has three.

Logically because Italy cannot erupt, we may have to accept 'which' as referring to the Mount V

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2018, 08:53
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Among the world's famous volcanic mountains are Mount Vesuvius in Ital &nbs [#permalink] 25 Jan 2018, 08:53

Among the world's famous volcanic mountains are Mount Vesuvius in Ital

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap