Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [27]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 707 [7]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [1]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Send PM
Re: Amsden has divided Navajo weaving into four distinct styles. He argues [#permalink]
:cool OA: EACDDCBB

Thanks everybody for participating. :thanks

I also got most of the questions right but I was not sure about the answers while answering them. Probably, I had not paraphrased the passage properly.

banerjeea_98 wrote:
Can anyone explain #5 ?

Blue : to refute choice (E)
Green : to establish choice (D)

jpv wrote:
Amsden has divided Navajo weaving into four distinct styles. He argues that three of them can be identified by the type of design used to form horizontal bands: colored strips, zigzags, or diamonds. The fourth, or bordered, style he identifies by a distinct border surrounding centrally placed, dominating figures.
Amsden believes that the diamond style appeared after 1869 when, under Anglo influence and encouragement, the blanket became a rug with larger designs and bolder lines. The bordered style appeared about 1890, and, Amsden argues, it reflects the greatest number of Anglo influences on the newly emerging rug business. The Anglo desire that anything with a graphic designs have a top, bottom, and border is a cultural preference that the Navajo abhorred, as evidenced, he suggests, by the fact that in early bordered specimens (line 18) strips of color unexpectedly break through the enclosing pattern.
Amsden argues that the bordered rug represents a radical break with previous styles. He asserts that the border changed the artistic problem facing weavers: a blank area suggests the use of isolated figures, while traditional, banded Navajo designs were continuous and did not use isolated figures. The old patterns alternated horizontal decorative zones in a regular order.
Amsden’s view raises several questions. First, what is involved in altering artistic styles? Some studies suggest that artisans’ motor habits and thought processes must be revised when a style changes precipitously. In the evolution of Navajo weaving, however, no radical revisions in the way articles are produced need be assumed. After all, all weaving subordinates design to the physical limitations created by the process of weaving, which includes creating an edge or border. The habits required to make decorative borders are, therefore, latent and easily brought to the surface.
Second, is the relationship between the banded and bordered styles as simple as Amsden suggests? He assumes that a break in style is a break in psychology. But if style results from constant quests for invention, such stylistic breaks are inevitable. When a style has exhausted the possibilities inherent in its principles, artists cast about for new, but not necessarily alien, principles. Navajo weaving may have reached this turning point prior to 1890.
Third, is there really a significant stylistic gap? Two other styles lie between the banded styles and the bordered styles. They suggest that disintegration of the bands may have altered visual and motor habits and prepared the way for a border filled with separate units. In the Chief White Antelope blanket, dated prior to 1865, ten years before the first Anglo trading post on the Navajo reservation, whole and partial diamonds interrupt the flowing design and become separate forms. Parts of diamonds arranged vertically at each side may be seen to anticipate the border.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Send PM
Re: Amsden has divided Navajo weaving into four distinct styles. He argues [#permalink]
The stuff in 'green'in jpv's msg is what Amsden believes and not the author. The question is asking for:
5. The author would most probably agree with which one of the following conclusions about the stylistic development of Navajo weaving?

Evidence to support D by the author is provided in the last paragraph of the passage. This is an inference question and the flow of the passage gives clues as well to picking D. E ruled out because of distortion and Q4 already tested this aspect in that isolated figures were not part of the navajo art prior to 1890, so 'always' in E is not something that the author would agree with.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Got all but 6) right

can somebody explain Q 6?

6.The author suggests that Amsden’s claim that borders in Navajo weaving were inspired by Anglo culture could be

(A) conceived as a response to imagined correspondences between Anglo and Navajo art
(B) biased by Amsden’s feelings about Anglo culture
(C) a result of Amsden’s failing to take into account certain aspects of Navajo weaving
(D) based on a limited number of specimens of the styles of Navajo weaving
(E) based on a confusion between the stylistic features of the zigzag and diamond styles

I marked D), i guess its mentioned in the last para, about changes in style way before anglo influence
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Funny thing that for a non-native speaker, who I am, RC passage is a bit of a lottery - I can easily crack 700+ passages with low rates of correctly solved questions, passages which talk about familiar topics, but sometimes find difficult to complete some 600+ passages on unrelated topics like this one. Anyone has the same feeling?
Double read and 2 mistakes ...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 168
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Could anyone explain Q2 please? don't get why the correct answer is A.

How can " strips of color " be resistance to changes of style.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32896 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
kwanatk wrote:
Could anyone explain Q2 please? don't get why the correct answer is A.

How can " strips of color " be resistance to changes of style.

Explanation

2. It can be inferred from the passage that Amsden views the use of “strips of color” (Highlighted) in the early bordered style as

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

The author mentions the strips of color breaking through the enclosed border as evidence of Navajo distaste for the Anglo preference that graphic designs have a top, bottom, and border. (A) paraphrases this sentiment, albeit in abstract language.

(B) Amsden depicts the strips of color as signs of general Navaho abhorrence for borders, not necessarily an “echo” of the diamond style.

(C) Au contraire. For Amsden, the strips of color bursting through the border reflect resistance to Anglo culture.

(D) According to Amsden, the Navajo resisted the bordered style, not the banded style.

(E) The desire for designs with a top, bottom, and border is presented as an Anglo desire.

Answer: A

Hope it helps
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32896 [1]
Send PM
Amsden has divided Navajo weaving into four distinct styles. He argues [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
saurabh9gupta wrote:
Q7 explanation please

Explanation

7. The author most probably mentions the Chief White Antelope blanket in order to

Difficulty Level: 600

Explanation

In the final paragraph, the author makes the point that some stylistic changes that led the way to the border style can't be attributed to Anglo influence, and uses the Chief White Buffalo blanket as an example to illustrate this point.

(A) On the contrary. The Chief White Antelope blanket argues against the influence of Anglo culture on the bordered style.

(C) On the contrary, too. The author says that the vertically arranged diamonds in the Chief White Antelope blanket anticipate the border. Moreover, this blanket has a “flowing design,” not a central design.

(D) The Chief White Antelope blanket questions the idea of Anglo influence.

(E) This blanket seems to illustrate innovation within the diamond style.

Answer: B

Hope it helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Still having doubts in Ques 7, got correct 7 out of 8 correct.
Someone, please explain, not convinced from above solutions
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Loser94 wrote:
Still having doubts in Ques 7, got correct 7 out of 8 correct.
Someone, please explain, not convinced from above solutions

Hi Loser94,

Not sure, what to doubt is, but I'll share my reasoning for Question 7. Let me know if this helps.

For option B consider the lines: " In the Chief White Antelope blanket, dated prior to 1865, ten years before the first Anglo trading post on the Navajo reservation, whole and partial diamonds interrupt the flowing design and become separate forms."

We can infer that author mentions the Chief White Antelope blanket in order to question the the claim that the bordered style arose primarily from Anglo influence. A and D are incorrect as they are clearly opposite of what's mentioned in the above lines. C and E on the other hand are completely irrelevant to what's asked.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Send PM
Hi Sajjad1994,

Can you share official answer for Q5?
I want to see whether there is another explanation for this answer apart from the POE method.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32896 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
GoodDay22 wrote:
Hi Sajjad1994,

Can you share official answer for Q5?
I want to see whether there is another explanation for this answer apart from the POE method.

Explanation

5. The author would most probably agree with which one of the following conclusions about the stylistic development of Navajo weaving?

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

The author accepts Amsden’s classification that Navajo weavings used horizontal bands of abstract designs early on, and later moved on to isolated figures (when the bordered style was adopted); but differs from Amsden in arguing that the change was gradual, not a radical break.

(A) In Paragraph 4, the author suggests that motor habits and thought processes have little application to Navajo weaving.

(B) Neither the author nor Amsden attributes the zigzag style to Anglo influences.

(C) Oppsoite. The figures came later.

(E) Also Oppsoite. Only the border style is said routinely to contain isolated figures.

Answer: D
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts