GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 25 May 2020, 00:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Amy's sells kale at x dollar per pound for the first 20 pounds and .8x

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
Amy's sells kale at x dollar per pound for the first 20 pounds and .8x  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2020, 06:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

62% (02:12) correct 38% (03:16) wrong based on 52 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Amy's sells kale at x dollar per pound for the first 20 pounds and 0.8x for every subsequent pound. Lucia's price is x per pound for the first 14 pounds and 0.9x for subsequent pounds. What is the minimum number of pounds over 15 for which Amy's becomes an equal or better deal?

A. 24
B. 25
C. 26
D. 27
E. 28

Are You Up For the Challenge: 700 Level Questions

Re: Amy's sells kale at x dollar per pound for the first 20 pounds and .8x  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2020, 07:01
For the six pounds between the 14th and 20th pound, you save 0.1x dollars by buying from Lucia. But after the 20th pound, you save 0.1x dollars by buying from Amy. So for the prices to be equal buying from either person, you'd need to buy six pounds beyond the first 20, and the answer is 26 pounds.

The wording of the question is confusing though -- when it asks for "the minimum number of pounds over 15", I think you could legitimately interpret the question to be asking how many pounds we would need to add to a 15 pound purchase to arrive at equal prices (in which case the answer would be 11). That's not the intended meaning though.

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
Director
Director
D
Amy's sells kale at x dollar per pound for the first 20 pounds and .8x  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2020, 08:42
Amy’s price — 20x+ 0.8x*a
Lucy’s price — 14x + 0.9x*b
—> 20x+ 0.8x*a ≥ 14x+ 0.9x*b

Let’s find the minimum number of (20 + a ) :

20x + 0.8x*a = 14x + 0.9x*b
6x = x( 0.9b —0.8a)
—> \(a = \frac{(9b —60)}{8} \)— must be integer

If \(b= 12\) , then \( a = \frac{(108–60)}{8 }= 6 \)
—> \(20 + a = 26\)

The answer is C

Posted from my mobile device
GMATWhiz Representative
G
Re: Amy's sells kale at x dollar per pound for the first 20 pounds and .8x  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2020, 10:47
Bunuel wrote:
Amy's sells kale at x dollar per pound for the first 20 pounds and 0.8x for every subsequent pound. Lucia's price is x per pound for the first 14 pounds and 0.9x for subsequent pounds. What is the minimum number of pounds over 15 for which Amy's becomes an equal or better deal?

A. 24
B. 25
C. 26
D. 27
E. 28

Solution

• Let us assume that the number of pounds over 15 is n.
      o So, the total number of pounds \(= 15+ n\)
    • So, the total price at which Amy's sells (15 +n) pounds of kale \(= 20*x + (15+n-20) *0.8*x …. Eq.(i)\)
    • Now, the total price at which Lucia's sells (15 +n) pounds of kale \(= 14 *x + (15+n -14) *0.9*x …………. Eq. (ii)\)
    • From Eq.(i) and Eq.(ii) we can say that deal offered by Amy’s to become a equal or better than Lucia’s:
      o \(20x + (15+n-20) * 0.8x ≤ 14 x + (15+n -14) *0.9x\)
      o Or, \(20x + (n-5) *0.8x ≤ 14x + (1+n) *0.9x\)
      o Or, \(6x + 0.8nx – 4x ≤ 0.9nx+ 0.9x\)
      o Or, \(1.1x ≤ 0.1nx\)
      o Or, \(11 ≤ n \)
So, for minimum 11 pounds over 15, Amy’s will be a better deal.
Hence total number of pounds = 15 +11 = 26
Thus, the correct answer is Option C.

GMAT Prep truly Personalized using Technology

Prepare from an application driven course that serves real-time improvement modules along with a well-defined adaptive study plan. Start a free trial to experience it yourself and get access to 25 videos and 300 GMAT styled questions.

Helpful Links

Score Improvement Strategy: How to score Q50+ on GMAT | 5 steps to Improve your Verbal score
Study Plan Articles: 3 mistakes to avoid while preparing | How to create a study plan? | The Right Order of Learning | Importance of Error Log
Helpful Quant Strategies: Filling Spaces Method | Avoid Double Counting in P&C | The Art of Not Assuming anything in DS | Number Line Method
Key Verbal Techniques: Plan-Goal Framework in CR | Quantifiers the tiny Game-changers | Countable vs Uncountable Nouns | Tackling Confusing Words in Main Point
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2020, 00:04
The question is confusing on two counts:
The first, as explained by IanStewart, is that it can be logically interpreted to mean the solver has to find the minimum number of pounds that a buyer has to buy IN EXCESS OF 15 POUNDS so that he gets an equal or better deal from Amy than from Lucia.
The second is the condition in the stem which states that "Amy's becomes an equal OR better deal". According to this, the correct answer could be either C (26 lbs) (the buyer spends the same amount of money whether he buys from Amy or Lucia) or D (27 lbs) ( where he spends less money when he buys from Amy).

Corrigendum: Sorry, my second point is incorrect - I overlooked the "minimum number of pounds" stipulation. First point stands though.
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2020, 08:04
Bunuel wrote:

A. 24
B. 25
C. 26
D. 27
E. 28

We can create the inequality:

20x + 0.8x(T - 20) ≤ 14x + 0.9x(T - 14)

20 + 0.8(T - 20) ≤ 14 + 0.9(T - 14)

6 + 0.8T - 16 ≤ 0.9T - 12.6

2.6 ≤ 0.1T

26 ≤ T

Answer: C

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
202 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Amy's sells kale at x dollar per pound for the first 20 pounds and .8x   [#permalink] 21 Feb 2020, 08:04

Amy's sells kale at x dollar per pound for the first 20 pounds and .8x

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics