GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jan 2019, 03:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

January 20, 2019

January 20, 2019

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

An artistic presence of the first order, one frequently ranked with Pi

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
An artistic presence of the first order, one frequently ranked with Pi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 05:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (00:37) correct 39% (00:40) wrong based on 97 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

An artistic presence of the first order, one frequently ranked with Picasso, Stravinsky, and James Joyce, Martha Graham was acclaimed as a great dancer long before her innovative masterworks made her the most honored of American choreographers.

(A) Martha Graham was acclaimed as

(B) Martha Graham was acclaimed to be

(C) Martha Graham’s acclaim is as

(D) Martha Graham’s acclaim to be

(E) Martha Graham’s acclaim was in being

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
An artistic presence of the first order, one frequently ranked with Pi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 08:21
Bunuel wrote:
An artistic presence of the first order, one frequently ranked with Picasso, Stravinsky, and James Joyce, Martha Graham was acclaimed as a great dancer long before her innovative masterworks made her the most honored of American choreographers.

The highlighted part of the sentence modifies what follows it " Martha Graham " in this case...

The answer must be (A) for correct idiomatic usage acclaimed as , errors in other options highlighted in RED.

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Manager
Manager
G
Re: An artistic presence of the first order, one frequently ranked with Pi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 10:12
Abhishek009 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

The highlighted part of the sentence modifies what follows it " Martha Graham " in this case...

The answer must be (A) for correct idiomatic usage acclaimed as , errors in other options highlighted in RED.

Hey Abhishek009

Though I too choose A, I'm not able to comprehend the meaning of the modifier. How is the phrase 'An artistic presence of the first order' modifying 'Martha Graham'?
Is the modifier 'In an artistic presence' rather than 'An artistic presence'? It would be very helpful if you could shed some light on the same. Thanks in advance!

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
S
Re: An artistic presence of the first order, one frequently ranked with Pi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 10:35
Bunuel wrote:

An artistic presence of the first order when compared with nouns, underlined portion should start with a Noun, with this reason we can eliminate C, D and E.

Out of A and B,
correct idiom - acclaimed as

Answer A

If you notice any discrepancy in my reasoning, please let me know. Lets improve together.

Quote which i can relate to.
Many of life's failures happen with people who do not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 10:53
Diwakar003 wrote:
Abhishek009 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hey Abhishek009

Though I too choose A, I'm not able to comprehend the meaning of the modifier. How is the phrase 'An artistic presence of the first order' modifying 'Martha Graham'?
Is the modifier 'In an artistic presence' rather than 'An artistic presence'? It would be very helpful if you could shed some light on the same. Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Hi
Please see
Comparison is between artistic presence of Martha ... with. ..artistic presence of Picasso, Stravinsky, and James Joyce

Therefore , sentence starts with stating artistic presence of , artistic presence of Picasso, Stravinsky, and James Joyce, ....Martha (correctly compares the comparison)

Kudos

Posted from my mobile device

"Press +1 KUDOS"

Be very critical of my Post
Ask as many questions of my post possible

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 22:40
Yash312 wrote:

Hi
Please see
Comparison is between artistic presence of Martha ... with. ..artistic presence of Picasso, Stravinsky, and James Joyce

Therefore , sentence starts with stating artistic presence of , artistic presence of Picasso, Stravinsky, and James Joyce, ....Martha (correctly compares the comparison)

Kudos

Hey Yash312

Thanks a lot for your reply. However, I'm still not able to understand the below highlighted part. Below is my understanding.

An artistic presence of the first order, one frequently ranked with Picasso, Stravinsky, and James Joyce, Martha Graham

'An artistic presence of first order' is modifying Martha and the portion marked in red is modifying 'an artistic presence of first order'.

As per my understanding, 'An artistic presence of first order' means 'A presence of individuals with artistic taste/talent' and this is modifying Martha Graham.

An example that's similar to the question, as per my comprehension of the question, is given below.

An attacking lineup, one ranked with Firmino, Sane, and Shaqiri, Salah scored a goal against the opponent.

The above sentence isn't making sense to me so I think I'm missing something. Please correct me where I'm going wrong! Thanks in advance!

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 23:50
Diwakar003 wrote:
Yash312 wrote:

Hi
Please see

Kudos

Hey Yash312

Thanks a lot for your reply. However, I'm still not able to understand the below highlighted part. Below is my understanding.

An artistic presence of the first order, one frequently ranked with Picasso, Stravinsky, and James Joyce, Martha Graham

'An artistic presence of first order' is modifying Martha and the portion marked in red is modifying 'an artistic presence of first order'.

As per my understanding, 'An artistic presence of first order' means 'A presence of individuals with artistic taste/talent' and this is modifying Martha Graham.

An example that's similar to the question, as per my comprehension of the question, is given below.

An attacking lineup, one ranked with Firmino, Sane, and Shaqiri, Salah scored a goal against the opponent.

The above sentence isn't making sense to me so I think I'm missing something. Please correct me where I'm going wrong! Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Hi

Well , it seems your are not able to comprehend the line.

An artistic presence of the first order by Martha Graham, one frequently ranked with Picasso, Stravinsky, and James Joyce,

In the above sentence it is very well clear now that some quality of martha is compared with quality of Picasso, Stravinsky, and James Joyce.

therefore, since the quality of 1 person is compared with the quality of other people...it is reasonable and correct comparison

However, In the correct answer choice the author has just moved the by martha, after the comparison modifier

An attacking lineup by Salah, one ranked with Firmino, Sane, and Shaqiri, scored a goal against the opponent.

Above statement also makes same comparison of quality.

please try to decipher the statement and understand by meaning sense

"Press +1 KUDOS"

Be very critical of my Post
Ask as many questions of my post possible

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 08:50
C,D,E --> modification error. The first part should modify "Martha Graham"
B - Unidiomatic usage "acclaimed to be"

Hence, A is the answer.

Let's share some kudos together.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: An artistic presence of the first order, one frequently ranked with Pi &nbs [#permalink] 15 Jan 2019, 08:50

An artistic presence of the first order, one frequently ranked with Pi

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap