GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jun 2019, 00:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

An educational curriculum that originally catered to the children of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S
An educational curriculum that originally catered to the children of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Jan 2019, 00:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (01:32) correct 39% (01:43) wrong based on 131 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

An educational curriculum that originally catered to the children of globe-trotting diplomats making inroads in K-12 public schools across the U.S., boosting test results.

A) An educational curriculum that originally catered to the children of globe-trotting diplomats making inroads in K-12 public schools across the U.S., boosting

B) An educational curriculum originally catered to the children of globe-trotting diplomats makes inroads in K-12 public schools across the U.S. to boost

C) An educational curriculum originally catering to the children of globe-trotting diplomats and making inroads in K-12 public schools across the U.S. to boost

D) An educational curriculum that originally catered to the children of globe-trotting diplomats is making inroads in K-12 public schools across the U.S., boosting

E) Originally catering to the children of globe-trotting diplomats, public schools across US are using the educational curriculum to boost

Found a similar sentence in WSJ: An educational curriculum that originally catered to the children of globe-trotting diplomats is making rapid inroads in K-12 public schools across the U.S., boosting test results and academic readiness even at inner-city schools.

Source: e-gmat

Originally posted by pineapple123456 on 13 Jan 2019, 10:43.
Last edited by generis on 14 Jan 2019, 00:57, edited 3 times in total.
Added source as reported by OP
Senior SC Moderator
V
Re: An educational curriculum that originally catered to the children of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 14:20
pineapple123456 wrote:
An educational curriculum that originally catered to the children of globe-trotting diplomats making inroads in K-12 public schools across the U.S., boosting test results.

A) An educational curriculum that originally catered to the children of globe-trotting diplomats making inroads in K-12 public schools across the U.S. boosting

B) An educational curriculum originally catered to the children of globe-trotting diplomats makes inroads in K-12 public schools across the U.S. to boost

C) An educational curriculum originally catering to the children of globe-trotting diplomats and making inroads in K-12 public schools across the U.S. to boost

D) An educational curriculum that originally catered to the children of globe-trotting diplomats is making inroads in K-12 public schools across the U.S., boosting

E) Originally catering to the children of globe-trotting diplomats, public schools across US are using the educational curriculum to boost

Source: WSJ

pineapple123456 (great username), as far as I know, the WSJ does not publish GMAT questions.
I researched a bit to confirm. I see no such question anywhere in the WSJ.
We need to know the source of material in part because we need to abide by copyright issues.
In other words, from what source did this question come?

Major concepts tested
• complete sentences vs. fragments (verbs)
• meaning
• modifiers

Strip this sentence. Dump the excess, create variable names, and use brackets with question marks around questionable parts of the sentence

An educational curriculum that originally catered to Cs of Ds [making??] inroads in schools across the U.S., [boosting??] test results.

The most likely logical meaning of this sentence is:
An educational curriculum originally designed for students outside the United States is making inroads [is spreading] across the U.S.; as a result of having made inroads [of having spread], the curriculum is boosting test scores.

Split #1: Complete sentences vs. fragments

Find the subject. Find the working verb.
Participles [verbING and verbED] are not working verbs.

Option A states: An educational curriculum that . . . catered to Cs of Ds . . . makING inroads, boostING test results
-- The subject, educational curriculum, has no verb
-- the verb "catered" in the THAT clause does not act as the working verb for the subject because the that-clause is an essential modifier
of the subject and the modifying clause MUST contain its own verb
-- Try writing just the first part
An educational curriculum that catered to Cs of Ds.
That sentence is a fragment.
Does the rest of the sentence cure the error? We need a working verb
An EC that catered to Cs of Ds . . . making . . . boosting
No. Option A is incomplete (is a fragment).

Option C states: An educational curriculum originally catering to Cs of Ds and making inroads in schools to boost test scores
The subject, curriculum, has no working verb.
Rather, we have
verbING and verbING + infinitive. None of those is a verb with a tense.
Shorten it further.
An EC catering to Cs of Ds . . . making . . . to boost [scores]
Option C is a fragment.

Eliminate options A and C

Split #2: Meaning: Choose the most sensible

Option B states: An EC originally catered to Cs of Ds makes inroads . . . to boost test scores.
Be very careful about rejecting infinitives.
In this case it is correct to eliminate based on "infinitive of purpose."

Infinitives can (1) suggest intent or purpose and
(2) describe a result (not consciously intended, especially by inanimate objects)
Example of infinitive use #2, absolutely correct: Gale force winds and unseasonable rainstorms combined to create a massive hurricane.

And now that I have qualified rejection of infinitives,
reject B because the spreading did not occur IN ORDER TO boost test results.
Boosting of test scores was the result of the spreading of the curriculum.

Split #3 - modifiers

Option E states: Originally catering to Cs of Ds, public schools . . . are using the curriculum to boost test scores.
Public schools did not cater originally to Cs of Ds.
Modifier error.
Originally catering should modify curriculum.
A participial modifier (a verbING) that precedes the main subject MUST refer to the subject of the next phrase or clause.

D) An educational curriculum that originally catered to Cs of Ds is making inroads in schools across the U.S., boosting test scores.
That's correct.
The subject, curriculum, has a verb, is making. The participial modifier (the comma + verbING) boosting correctly modifies the previous clause.
Participial modifiers often are used to express the result of a previous clause.

Answer D is correct.

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -- Mary Oliver
IIMA, IIMC School Moderator
V
WE: Engineering (Other)
CAT Tests
Re: An educational curriculum that originally catered to the children of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 22:33
generis aragonn VeritasKarishma AjiteshArun

Quote:

Quote:

Can I eliminate (B) on below grounds:
I need conjunction AND to connect two main verbs in a sentence.
E.g. I jog and play in evening. correct
I jog play in evening. incorrect

I can not have two main verbs catered and makes without AND in (B)

Feeling stressed, you are not alone!!
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 23:46
adkikani wrote:
I can not have two main verbs catered and makes without AND in (B)
I think that's a valid reason to remove B :thumbup:
G

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2019, 04:36

A) An educational curriculum that originally catered to the children of globe-trotting diplomats making inroads in K-12 public schools across the U.S., boosting --> no main verb

B) An educational curriculum originally catered to the children of globe-trotting diplomats makes inroads in K-12 public schools across the U.S. to boost --> "boosting" is the results of " the curriculum making inroad", not the purpose, so "to boost" is wrong

C) An educational curriculum originally catering to the children of globe-trotting diplomats and making inroads in K-12 public schools across the U.S. to boost --> no main verb

D) An educational curriculum that originally catered to the children of globe-trotting diplomats is making inroads in K-12 public schools across the U.S., boosting --> correct

E) Originally catering to the children of globe-trotting diplomats, public schools across US are using the educational curriculum to boost --> "catering" should modify the "educational curriculum", not "public schools"
GMAT Club Bot
Re: An educational curriculum that originally catered to the children of   [#permalink] 19 Mar 2019, 04:36

An educational curriculum that originally catered to the children of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics