Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1663 [1]
Given Kudos: 348
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Re: An electric utility has determined that a new power plant is needed [#permalink]
Quote:

(B) In the area where the utility operates, both energy use and the volume of trash produced have increased substantially over the last several years.
It is a good trap; although it brings out a relevant concern, the key aspect that needs to be addressed is pollution : Incorrect

I was falling for B but then saved myself. Just to add to this reasoning, Notice "In the area where the utility operates". Ideally we care where we will open the plant and not where the utility operates. You see the difference?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: HEC'22 (J)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: An electric utility has determined that a new power plant is needed [#permalink]
Hi experts, please help me here with option B and C. I know that we have to select the best available option, but I am confused to see why C is better than B in this question.

The argument tells us a new power plant is needed, and it could either be a natural gas-fired plant or a waste-to-energy plant. It also mentions that the new power plant would also serve as trash incenerator.

The argument then mentions that waste to energy plant would produce three times as much air pollution as gas-fired but waste to energy is still supported by environmentalist.

My query with option B and C is below

(B) In the area where the utility operates, both energy use and the volume of trash produced have increased substantially over the last several years.

We do not know which plant would be able to meet this increased energy requirement so this can't strengthen/weaken our argument. The secon portion of option B says that
volume of trash has increase substantially, now if waste-to-energy plants would use this trash to produce energy then this option provides weak support that waste-to-energy might be useful than gas fired as they would reducde amount of trash, but again this is based on a big assumption.

(C) The waste-to-energy plant would replace an existing trash incinerator that produces much more air pollution than the waste-to-energy plant would.

This option does not tells us anything about gas fired plants, it only tells us that overall pollution will reduce if built waste to energy because it will replace the incinerator which produces more pollution, but given as part of the original plan, the plant is to function both as power plan and incenarator, it could be the case that if we go ahead with power plant we will have even more reduced level of pollution, as it might also render this ininerator(that produce more pollution than waste to energy) useless.

Appreciate your time and response.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
RohitSaluja wrote:
Hi experts, please help me here with option B and C. I know that we have to select the best available option, but I am confused to see why C is better than B in this question.

The argument tells us a new power plant is needed, and it could either be a natural gas-fired plant or a waste-to-energy plant. It also mentions that the new power plant would also serve as trash incenerator.

The argument then mentions that waste to energy plant would produce three times as much air pollution as gas-fired but waste to energy is still supported by environmentalist.

My query with option B and C is below

We do not know which plant would be able to meet this increased energy requirement so this can't strengthen/weaken our argument. The secon portion of option B says that
volume of trash has increase substantially, now if waste-to-energy plants would use this trash to produce energy then this option provides weak support that waste-to-energy might be useful than gas fired as they would reducde amount of trash, but again this is based on a big assumption.

(C) The waste-to-energy plant would replace an existing trash incinerator that produces much more air pollution than the waste-to-energy plant would.

This option does not tells us anything about gas fired plants, it only tells us that overall pollution will reduce if built waste to energy because it will replace the incinerator which produces more pollution, but given as part of the original plan, the plant is to function both as power plan and incenarator, it could be the case that if we go ahead with power plant we will have even more reduced level of pollution, as it might also render this ininerator(that produce more pollution than waste to energy) useless.

Appreciate your time and response.

Quote:
An electric utility has determined that a new power plant is needed and has decided to build either a natural gas-fired plant or a waste-to-energy plant that would serve as both a trash incinerator and a power plant. Surprisingly, although the waste-to-energy plant would produce roughly three times as much air pollution as the gas-fired plant, environmentalists have come out in unanimous support of this option.

Which one of the following, if true, most helps to justify the environmentalists' position?

(A) Modem gas-fired power plants produce significantly less pollution than gas-fired power plants that were built several decades ago.

(D) Most of the environmentalists believe that air pollution is the area's most serious environmental problem.

(E) The vast majority of the air pollution in the area where the utility operates is produced by trucks and automobiles.

Frankly, i chose B over C.
Now, when i analysed why B is incorrect I found following(may be i am giving an excuse that it is).
Two things that matter in the passage are:
1. Incinerating trash
2. Generate power

B. Does only 1st job
C. Does both jobs

The keyword in the passage is 'serve as both'. Thus, C encircles both the requirements. We can't rule out pollution aspect but see the words 'unanimous support'. Also, why we can't get rid of the pollution aspect is that because we are ingrained with pollution problem so much so that any thing revolving around that is forgotten even if pollution is sidelined or taken care of in the argument.

HTH.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts