It is currently 16 Jan 2018, 19:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

An experiment was done in which human subjects recognize a pattern wit

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior SC Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1462 [0], given: 447

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: An experiment was done in which human subjects recognize a pattern wit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2017, 00:16
@GMATNINJA & @GMATNINJATWO, Could you help to explain why answer choice (A) is incorrect? This is tough to visualize.

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1462 [0], given: 447

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 57

CAT Tests
Re: An experiment was done in which human subjects recognize a pattern wit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 18:23
ziyuen, we are asked to select the hypothesis that best accounts for the findings of the experiment. What were the findings?... that "the lowest expenditure of energy in neurons in the brain was found in those subjects who performed most successfully in the experiments". Thus, we need a hypothesis that helps explain why the expenditure of energy in neurons in the brain would be lower among subjects who performed the most successfully in the experiments than among subjects who were not as successful. Choice A implies that the neurons of any subject would expend less energy when the subject is trying to recognize patterns than when the subject is doing other kinds of reasoning, but this does not help explain the difference in energy expenditure between the most successful subjects and less successful subjects. Choice C, on the other hand, does explain the difference... people who are better at abstract pattern recognition would most likely be more successful in experiments that involve recognizing patterns within a matrix of abstract designs; thus, those who were more successful in the experiments would most likely have more energy-efficient neural connections, explaining the lower expenditure of energy in their neurons.

I hope that helps!

www.gmatninja.com

VP
VP
P

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 170

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 06:25
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
ziyuen, we are asked to select the hypothesis that best accounts for the findings of the experiment. What were the findings?... that "the lowest expenditure of energy in neurons in the brain was found in those subjects who performed most successfully in the experiments". Thus, we need a hypothesis that helps explain why the expenditure of energy in neurons in the brain would be lower among subjects who performed the most successfully in the experiments than among subjects who were not as successful. Choice A implies that the neurons of any subject would expend less energy when the subject is trying to recognize patterns than when the subject is doing other kinds of reasoning, but this does not help explain the difference in energy expenditure between the most successful subjects and less successful subjects. Choice C, on the other hand, does explain the difference... people who are better at abstract pattern recognition would most likely be more successful in experiments that involve recognizing patterns within a matrix of abstract designs; thus, those who were more successful in the experiments would most likely have more energy-efficient neural connections, explaining the lower expenditure of energy in their neurons.

I hope that helps!

Dear GMATNinjaTwo

Can you help identify the type of this question? it is written as resolve the paradox but I do not think so.

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 170

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 14:36
Mo2men, the passage states that, "the results of the experiment were surprising." The question then asks us to identify a hypothesis that best accounts for those surprising results. The fact that the results are described as "surprising" suggests that we have a discrepancy... ie without any other information, one might reasonably guess that the subjects who performed most successfully in the experiments used the most neural energy (just like you might expect the most successful employees at a company to be those who work the hardest); however, surprisingly, the findings show that the opposite is true. Because of this apparent discrepancy, I think it is fair to categorize this as a "Resolve Paradox" question.

www.gmatninja.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 72

GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 05:20
Clearly C

Negating C , breaks the argument.

Give Kudos for correct answer and/or if you like the solution.

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 72

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 310

WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
An experiment was done in which human subjects recognize a pattern wit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 21:45
GMATNinja egmat VeritasPrepKarishma GMATNinjaTwo

Interesting discussions on question types and argument structure:

As per me: The structure is: FACT, CONCLUSION, EVIDENCE to support why author
is finding results as surprising.

Clearly this in NOT a RESOLVE PARADOX Q since no contrasting statements / hypothesis are present.

As per OG explanations too I need an answer stem that ACCOUNTS for the conclusion ie to strengthen it. Is my understanding correct?

Press kudos if you liked this post

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 310

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S

CAT Tests
An experiment was done in which human subjects recognize a pattern wit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 07:24
adkikani wrote:

Clearly this in NOT a RESOLVE PARADOX Q since no contrasting statements / hypothesis are present.

As per OG explanations too I need an answer stem that ACCOUNTS for the conclusion ie to strengthen it. Is my understanding correct?

This is a bit like a strengthen question. Although, in this case, we don't really have a "conclusion"; instead, we just have some "surprising" experiment findings to explain. As long as you understand the findings and why they are surprising, you are in a position to identify a hypothesis that accounts for those findings. Correctly labeling the question type shouldn't make much of a difference. As we see here, the question type is not always clear-cut.

Check out the Ultimate CR Guide for Beginners for a discussion of an approach that does not rely on question type.

Good luck!

www.gmatninja.com

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 18454 [0], given: 237

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 18:33
adkikani wrote:

Yes, you do need to strengthen here, though not any conclusion but the findings. As GMATNinjaTwo said above, it doesn't matter which bucket you put the question in as long as you know what exactly is required of you.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18454 [0], given: 237

Re: An experiment was done in which human subjects recognize a pattern wit   [#permalink] 05 Jan 2018, 18:33

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

An experiment was done in which human subjects recognize a pattern wit

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap