GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Mar 2019, 00:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

An international team of astronomers working at telescopes

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
I was having trouble with the idiom 'estimated to be' on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Aug 2013, 21:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (01:20) correct 33% (00:00) wrong based on 9 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

I was having trouble with the idiom 'estimated to be' on this one.
Attachments

GmatPrep_SC_Canary Island.JPG
GmatPrep_SC_Canary Island.JPG [ 75.77 KiB | Viewed 3534 times ]

Originally posted by jjhko on 21 Aug 2006, 05:49.
Last edited by fameatop on 29 Aug 2013, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.
OA not Provided
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
B
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2006, 06:00
The answer should be (A). I couldn`t recognize the idiom, so I used the modifier rule here. Jupiter, .....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2006, 06:01
Just by the last part of the sentance, we know that the underlined part must end in "Jupiter"

This leaves only A,C and D.

C - the "is" and "having" is incorrect

Between A and D, A uses the correct plural form "have" to describe the 18 spheres.

Therefore A
VP
VP
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2006, 06:05
Picking A.
A----> Right modifier--Correct SVA, keep it.
B----> Wrong. "the solar system's largest planet" modifies "Jupiter's Mass"
C----> "having detected" is wrong here.
D----> "astronomers,........, and has detected". No "and" required.
E----> Worst of them all. "they have" is totally wrong here.

Trying hard to conquer Quant.

Director
Director
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2006, 10:11
A.

I think idiom "estimate to" is right way than saying estimate at .

Any thought.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2006, 11:22
A for right modifier for Jupitor and correct idiom --- estimated to have (be)
Manager
Manager
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2006, 06:24
The OA is A. I got fixed to looking for 'to be' but 'to have' is the same thing.
Manager
Manager
An international team of astronomers working at telescopes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2006, 16:16
An international team of astronomers working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated to have 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter, the solar system's largest planet.

A. astronomers working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated to have 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter,

B. astronomers working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated to have 5 to 15 times Jupiter's mass,

C. astronomers is working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain, having detected at least 18 huge gas spheres that are estimated at 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter,

D. astronomers, working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain, and has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated at 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter,

E. astronomers, working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres they have estimated to be 5 to 15 ties Jupiter's mass,

I think I can. I think I can. I think I can.

Intern
Intern
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2006, 16:23
I pick A

B - Solar System's Largest planet is not referring to Jupitor's Mass
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2006, 19:32
A. astronomers working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated to have 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter,

B. bad comparison -> comparing mass with planet

C. makes it sound like the astronomers are working because of the detection of hugh gas spheres...

D. awkward sentence

E. same problem as B

A is best.
Manager
Manager
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2006, 19:40
Thanks. I missed the comparison problem in B. OA is A.

I think I can. I think I can. I think I can.

Intern
Intern
An international team of astronomers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2015, 00:42
An international team of astronomers working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated to have 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter, the solar system’s largest planet.

(A) astronomers working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated to have 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter

(B) astronomers working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated to be 5 to 15 times Jupiter’s mass

(C) astronomers is working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain, having detected at least 18 huge gas spheres that are estimated at 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter

(D) astronomers, working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain, and has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated at 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter

(E) astronomers, working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain, has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres they have estimated to be 5 to 15 times Jupiter’s mass

Regards,
Sam GM

Kudos please...

Manager
Manager
Re: An international team of astronomers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2015, 01:46
Was confused between A and E. But when I look at E, it says: 5 to 15 times Jupiter’s mass, the solar system’s largest planet.

So, the meaning coming out is that the "mass" of Jupiter (and not Jupiter itself) is the solar system’s largest planet.

Is my understanding correct?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2015, 02:23
I dont see anything wrong with Option A but E is definitely wrong in at least two aspects. See below.

astronomers, working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain, has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres they have estimated to be 5 to 15 times Jupiter’s mass

1. To who 'They' referring to, the gas sphere or the team of scientists.

2. If we assume they is referring to the team of scientists, then THEY should be it as the word Team is Singular.

3. the last clause...'has detected' has no subject. The team of astrnomers cannot be subject of two verbs at the same time.

(Moderators please correct me if wrong. )

Hope this helps.

gmatgrl wrote:
Was confused between A and E. But when I look at E, it says: 5 to 15 times Jupiter’s mass, the solar system’s largest planet.

So, the meaning coming out is that the "mass" of Jupiter (and not Jupiter itself) is the solar system’s largest planet.

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

Manager
Manager
Schools: ESADE '16, HKU'16, SMU '16
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2015, 20:17
shriramvelamuri wrote:
I dont see anything wrong with Option A but E is definitely wrong in at least two aspects. See below.

astronomers, working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain, has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres they have estimated to be 5 to 15 times Jupiter’s mass

1. To who 'They' referring to, the gas sphere or the team of scientists.

2. If we assume they is referring to the team of scientists, then THEY should be it as the word Team is Singular.

3. the last clause...'has detected' has no subject. The team of astrnomers cannot be subject of two verbs at the same time.

(Moderators please correct me if wrong. )

Hope this helps.

gmatgrl wrote:

Hi shriramvelamuri,

In 'E' , "has detected" definitely has a subject and that is "team". The main problem with E is that its a run on. Two independent clauses(IC) i.e. "An international team has... " and "They have..", are not joined correctly. IC can only be connected by conjunction or semicolon.

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2015, 21:39
gmatgrl wrote:

Hi,

You are correct. One easy way to eliminate E is to see that "the solar system’s largest planet" correctly modifies "Jupiter" and not its mass.

Regards,
Dom.
Queens MBA Thread Master
Concentration: Leadership, General Management

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2015, 21:06
(A) astronomers working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated to have 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter
This looks correct, "working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain" correctly describes a team. Singular verb "Has" is perfect for singular subject " Team". Non underline part correctly describes "Jupiter"
Keep this option aside,

(B) astronomers working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated to be 5 to 15 times Jupiter’s mass
This ends with "Jupiter’s mass", now non underlined part describes "Jupiter’s mass" and this changes meaning - Incorrect

(C) astronomers is working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain, having detected at least 18 huge gas spheres that are estimated at 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter
this is like a run on sentence " having detected at least 18 huge gas spheres" is not the action, whereas as per the actual meaning it should be action of the team
Incorrect

(D) astronomers, working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain, and has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated at 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter

IC [AND] IC is correct, but is the first part "working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain" an IC ? it is not, it does not contain any verb. Famous missing verb error
Incorrect

(E) astronomers, working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain, has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres they have estimated to be 5 to 15 times Jupiter’s mass
This ends with "Jupiter’s mass", now non underlined part describes "Jupiter’s mass" and this changes meaning - Incorrect

Option A,
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2015, 21:50
The non-underlined portion "the solar system’s largest planet" will modify:
1) Jupiter
2) OR Jupiter's mass
Correct choice is 1), so B) and E) are out.

"Team.. has detected" Correct SV pair.

"having detected" seems to express the how of the verb "is working", but that is incorrect construction. The team was working and the team detected some stuff. They are independent events.

After fitting this choice, the sentence becomes:
Part 1: An international team of astronomers [,working at telescopes in the Canary Islands and Spain]
Part 2: ,and has detected at least 18 huge gas spheres estimated at 5 to 15 times the mass of Jupiter [,the solar system’s largest planet.]

Problem with this sentence:
Part 1 has NO verb for the subject "An international team of astronomers"
Part 2 has ",and" implying co-ordinating function of and. However, there is no Subject for the verb "has detected"

Please consider giving Kudos if you like my explanation :)

Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2015, 07:13
estimated to be is the right idiom. Choice A) has estimated to have. Is that right ?

Consider Kudos for my post, if it is helpful.
TIA

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2015, 21:10
Hi Shyind,

Your question was really intriguing. Found a good explanation by Ron Purewal of MGMAT here:

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... t2002.html

Though there is no thumb rule I guess. Your doubts look pretty solid.. :thumbup:

Regards,
Dom.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: An international team of astronomers   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2015, 21:10

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 28 posts ] 

An international team of astronomers working at telescopes

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap