GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 13 Jul 2020, 21:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Analyzing the physics of dance can add fundamentally to a dancer's ski

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
VP
VP
User avatar
V
Joined: 28 Jul 2016
Posts: 1037
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge
Analyzing the physics of dance can add fundamentally to a dancer's ski  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 May 2020, 21:29
3
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 136 sessions

85% (01:44) correct 15% (02:13) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 133 sessions

15% (01:37) correct 85% (01:08) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 135 sessions

39% (01:24) correct 61% (01:24) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Project RC Butler 2020 - Participate and win GMAT Club Tests.
Passage # 113, Date: 27-May-2020
This post is a part of Project RC Butler 2020. Click here for Details


Analyzing the physics of dance can add fundamentally to a dancer's skill. Although dancer seldom see themselves totally in physical terms— as body mass moving through space under the influence of well-known forces and obeying physical laws— neither can they afford to ignore the physics of movement. For example, no matter how much a dancer wishes to leap off the floor and then start turning, the law of conservation of angular momentum absolutely prevents such a movement. Some movements involving primarily vertical or horizontal motions of the body as a whole, in which rotations can be ignored, can be studied using simple equations of linear motions in three dimensions. However, rotational motions require more complex approaches that involve analyses of the way the body's mass is distributed, the axes of rotation involved indifferent types of movement, and the sources of the forces that produce the rotational movement.


1. The primary purpose of the passage is to

A. initiate a debate over two approaches to analyzing a field of study
B. describe how one field of knowledge can be applied to another field
C. point out the contradictions between two distinct theories
D. define and elaborate on an accepted scientific principle
E. discuss the application of a new theory within a new setting



2. The author mentions all of the following as contributing to an understanding of the physics of dance EXCEPT

A. the law of conservation of angular momentum
B. analyses of the way in which the body's mass is distributed
C. explain why one approach to understanding a problem is better than another
D. analyses of the sources that produce rotational motions
E. factors that limit movements such as leaps and turns



3. The author agrees with each of the following about the physics of dance EXCEPT:

A. Understanding the physics of dance may require a complex approach
B. Simple equations of linear motion are insufficient to understand the physics of dance
C. Dancers should view themselves primarily in physical terms and not ignore the physics of movement
D. The law of conservation of angular momentum restricts dance movements
E. Body mass moving through space is under the influence of well-known forces


_________________

Keep it simple. Keep it blank

Originally posted by globaldesi on 30 Dec 2019, 08:53.
Last edited by SajjadAhmad on 27 May 2020, 21:29, edited 2 times in total.
Formatted
VP
VP
User avatar
V
Joined: 28 Jul 2016
Posts: 1037
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge
Re: Analyzing the physics of dance can add fundamentally to a dancer's ski  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2020, 10:25
Official Solution:
Solution 1:

1. OA: B
The passage talks about dancing and how understanding physics helps understand it better. Option B fits this description.

A: No two approaches discussed
C: No such comparison is made
D: That it is an accepted principle is not supported by the passage
E: application of a “new” approach – no evidence that this is new.

2. OA: E
The passage discusses all the ideas mentioned in options A, B, C and D but does not mention “he technical terms for movements such as leaps and turns” Option E is therefore the correct answer.
3. OA: C

Since this is an except question, we must eliminate all the options that the author is likely to agree with. The one that's left is the right answer.

(A) Line 6 clearly says that 'the law of conservation of angular momentum clearly prevents such a movement'.

(B) The passage says that movements involving just vertical or horizontal motion can be analysed through linear equations, but these equations cannot represent rotational motion adequately.

(C) Nowhere does the author suggest that dancers must view themselves 'primarily' in physical terms.

(D) Analyzing the physics of dance, which involves rotational motion, requires 'complex approaches' – line 10

(E) Line 3 states this explicitly
_________________

Keep it simple. Keep it blank
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Mar 2019
Posts: 8
Re: Analyzing the physics of dance can add fundamentally to a dancer's ski  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2020, 18:00
Can someone help me with the following:

1. In question 2, option E says about leaps and turns. Which is mentioned in the paragraph saying “no matter how much a dancer wishes to leap off the floor and then start turning, the law of conservation of angular momentum prevents such a moment”. I’d that the factor that limits movements such as leaps and turns?

2. In question 3, option B also looks wrong. Why isn’t B an answer then?

Please throw some light on this

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 02 Jan 2020
Posts: 248
Premium Member
Re: Analyzing the physics of dance can add fundamentally to a dancer's ski  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2020, 01:03
SajjadAhmad

Pls provide OE for Q2, 3

In Q3, shouldn't D be the answer because it makes use of a blanket term "restricts dance movements" whereas passage tells us only about certain movements. Also option C says dancers should view themselves in physical terms and not ignore the physics of dance which is mentioned in the passage

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 May 2016
Posts: 17
Re: Analyzing the physics of dance can add fundamentally to a dancer's ski  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2020, 01:49
SajjadAhmad wrote:
+1 Kudos to posts containing answer explanation of all questions



I think the answer to question 2 is C

As author has not in the paragraph which approach is better than the other

He said "certain movements can be understood through linear equation and for rotation movements, complex equations are required".
But it doesn't mean one approach is better than other for one problem.
There are 2 different situations and different solutions are required for them.

And for E the factors are clearly mention, law of conservation

Please explain what am i missing in my approach.
GMAT Club team member
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Club Team Member
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 6281
GPA: 3.62
Re: Analyzing the physics of dance can add fundamentally to a dancer's ski  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2020, 08:37
GDT wrote:
SajjadAhmad

Pls provide OE for Q2, 3

In Q3, shouldn't D be the answer because it makes use of a blanket term "restricts dance movements" whereas passage tells us only about certain movements. Also option C says dancers should view themselves in physical terms and not ignore the physics of dance which is mentioned in the passage

Thanks in advance!


Official Explanation


2. The author mentions all of the following as contributing to an understanding of the physics of dance EXCEPT

Difficulty Level: 750

Explanation

Question type: except question

A – Mentioned in line 7

B – Mentioned in the last but third line

C – Mentioned in the first 4 lines

D – Mentioned in line 9-10

E - The passage discusses all the ideas mentioned in options A, B, C, and D but does not mention “the technical terms for movements such as leaps and turns”. Option E is therefore the correct answer.

Answer: E


3. The author agrees with each of the following about the physics of dance EXCEPT:

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

Since this is an except question, we must eliminate all the options that the author is likely to agree with. The one that‖s left is the right answer.

A - Line 6-7 clearly says that ―the law of conservation of angular momentum clearly prevents such a movement‖.

B - The passage says that movements involving just vertical or horizontal motion can be analysed through linear equations, but these equations cannot represent rotational motion adequately.

C - Nowhere does the author suggest that dancers must view themselves―primarily‖ in physical terms.

D - Analyzing the physics of dance, which involves rotational motion, requires ―complex approaches‖ – this is mentioned in line 10.

E - Line 3 states this explicitly.

Answer: C

_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 02 Jan 2020
Posts: 248
Premium Member
Re: Analyzing the physics of dance can add fundamentally to a dancer's ski  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2020, 00:52
SajjadAhmad wrote:
GDT wrote:
SajjadAhmad

Pls provide OE for Q2, 3

In Q3, shouldn't D be the answer because it makes use of a blanket term "restricts dance movements" whereas passage tells us only about certain movements. Also option C says dancers should view themselves in physical terms and not ignore the physics of dance which is mentioned in the passage

Thanks in advance!


Official Explanation



3. The author agrees with each of the following about the physics of dance EXCEPT:

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

Since this is an except question, we must eliminate all the options that the author is likely to agree with. The one that‖s left is the right answer.

A - Line 6-7 clearly says that ―the law of conservation of angular momentum clearly prevents such a movement‖.

B - The passage says that movements involving just vertical or horizontal motion can be analysed through linear equations, but these equations cannot represent rotational motion adequately.

C - Nowhere does the author suggest that dancers must view themselves―primarily‖ in physical terms.

D - Analyzing the physics of dance, which involves rotational motion, requires ―complex approaches‖ – this is mentioned in line 10.

E - Line 3 states this explicitly.

Answer: C


SajjadAhmad
But option C doesn't mention must
GMAT Club team member
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Club Team Member
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 6281
GPA: 3.62
Re: Analyzing the physics of dance can add fundamentally to a dancer's ski  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2020, 01:31
GDT wrote:
SajjadAhmad wrote:
GDT wrote:
SajjadAhmad

Pls provide OE for Q2, 3

In Q3, shouldn't D be the answer because it makes use of a blanket term "restricts dance movements" whereas passage tells us only about certain movements. Also option C says dancers should view themselves in physical terms and not ignore the physics of dance which is mentioned in the passage

Thanks in advance!


Official Explanation



3. The author agrees with each of the following about the physics of dance EXCEPT:

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

Since this is an except question, we must eliminate all the options that the author is likely to agree with. The one that‖s left is the right answer.

A - Line 6-7 clearly says that ―the law of conservation of angular momentum clearly prevents such a movement‖.

B - The passage says that movements involving just vertical or horizontal motion can be analysed through linear equations, but these equations cannot represent rotational motion adequately.

C - Nowhere does the author suggest that dancers must view themselves―primarily‖ in physical terms.

D - Analyzing the physics of dance, which involves rotational motion, requires ―complex approaches‖ – this is mentioned in line 10.

E - Line 3 states this explicitly.

Answer: C


SajjadAhmad
But option C doesn't mention must


Yes Option C uses should and not the must, and please don't forget it is an EXCEPT question.
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 02 Jan 2020
Posts: 248
Premium Member
Analyzing the physics of dance can add fundamentally to a dancer's ski  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2020, 02:27
SajjadAhmad wrote:
GDT wrote:
Pls provide OE for Q2, 3

In Q3, shouldn't D be the answer because it makes use of a blanket term "restricts dance movements" whereas passage tells us only about certain movements. Also option C says dancers should view themselves in physical terms and not ignore the physics of dance which is mentioned in the passage

Thanks in advance!



Yes Option C uses should and not the must, and please don't forget it is an EXCEPT question.

SajjadAhmad
The passage mentions this- Although dancer seldom see themselves totally in physical terms— as body mass moving through space under the influence of well-known forces and obeying physical laws— neither can they afford to ignore the physics of movement.


And our option says, author says they should not ignore physics of movt. etc - so he is agreeing to this. Isn't it?

And since the ques is agrees to Except so how is this correct?
GMAT Club team member
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Club Team Member
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 6281
GPA: 3.62
Re: Analyzing the physics of dance can add fundamentally to a dancer's ski  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2020, 03:07
1
GDT wrote:
SajjadAhmad wrote:
GDT wrote:
Pls provide OE for Q2, 3

In Q3, shouldn't D be the answer because it makes use of a blanket term "restricts dance movements" whereas passage tells us only about certain movements. Also option C says dancers should view themselves in physical terms and not ignore the physics of dance which is mentioned in the passage

Thanks in advance!



Yes Option C uses should and not the must, and please don't forget it is an EXCEPT question.

SajjadAhmad
The passage mentions this- Although dancer seldom see themselves totally in physical terms— as body mass moving through space under the influence of well-known forces and obeying physical laws— neither can they afford to ignore the physics of movement.


And our option says, author says they should not ignore physics of movt. etc - so he is agreeing to this. Isn't it?

And since the ques is agrees to Except so how is this correct?


This is an example of half true half wrong answer choice, The author starts with something looking good according to the passage than make the option wrong by just putting an extreme word in it. See the option C

Dancers should view themselves primarily in physical terms and not ignore the physics of movement.

The word primarily make it very strong in position and hence make it an extreme scenario according to the text of the passage.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Analyzing the physics of dance can add fundamentally to a dancer's ski   [#permalink] 30 May 2020, 03:07

Analyzing the physics of dance can add fundamentally to a dancer's ski

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne