Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [6]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31931 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [1]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
Re: Annie: Our university libraries have been sadly neglected. Few new [#permalink]
Kudos
Sri786 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Hovkial wrote:
Annie: Our university libraries have been sadly neglected. Few new books have been purchased during the last decade, and most of the older books are damaged. The university's administrators should admit that their library policies have been in error and should remedy this situation in the fastest way possible, which is to charge students a library fee and use the funds for library improvements.

Matilda: The current poor condition of the university libraries is the fault of the library officials, not the students. Students should not have to pay for the mistakes of careless library administrators.

Annie and Matilda disagree about whether

(A) library administrators are to blame for the poor condition of the university libraries

(B) library improvements could be most quickly effected through charging students additional fees

(C) students will ultimately benefit from the library improvements that could be funded by additional student fees

(D) those not responsible for the current condition of the libraries should bear the cost for remedying it

(E) funds for library improvements could be raised without additional fees

Annie talks of administrator’s policy errors in the poor state of the library and suggests that the students be charged a particular fee for upkeep of library.
Matilda too talks of fault of university for the current condition of library. However M does not agree charging students for the fault of university administrators.

Clearly both agree on whose fault it is but disagree on the the students paying for maintenance.

D gives the exact details.

chetan2u

"Clearly both agree on whose fault it is but disagree on the the students paying for maintenance"

As per question stem there is a disagreement on whether the fault is of Univ admin or Lib admin. In other words there is disagreement on whether the fault is of policy makers or policy implementers. Option A seems more correct by this logic. Please explain.

Warm Regards,

Hi Sri786

I think what chetan2u meant was, clearly both agree on whose fault it isn't.

Option A states that library administrators are to blame or not.
Matilda says Yes it is library admins to blame.
But Annie does not say its not library admins. Annie says it is someone completely different - university admins.
So the point of disagreement is not that who is to blame - rather the point of disagreement is who should pay up!

Option D says -
those not responsible for the current condition of the libraries should bear the cost for remedying it

so essentially D says -
Should Students bear the cost?
Annie says - Yes (even though students are not at fault)
Matilda says - No (as students are not at fault)

I hope this clears out any confusion.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Annie: Our university libraries have been sadly neglected. Few new [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts