GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 07:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Annoyed and unsatisfied with the services provided by banks, a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Annoyed and unsatisfied with the services provided by banks, a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2015, 05:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

62% (02:06) correct 38% (02:00) wrong based on 281 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Annoyed and unsatisfied with the services provided by banks, a consumer single-handedly created a new banking system. The new system gained popularity rapidly, soon controlling a large portion of the market, and consequently leading to the bankruptcy of a few large banks. These cases of bankruptcy resulted in the unemployment of thousands of people. The government intervened, terminating all business related to the new banking system on the basis of the claim that it was the root of the unemployment, and a potential economic crisis. Nevertheless, in the interests of economic health, this forced closure of the new banking system should be revoked since __________.

Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

A) it was the incompetence and high fees charged by the banks that led to the development of the new system in the first place
B) the fact that many banks went bankrupt only shows that people are better off saving their hard-earned money in safes
C) mass unemployment results in a low purchasing power and, in turn, low income for industries, fueling additional unemployment
D) the methods formerly employed by the banks sapped the economy's foundations and left it vulnerable to radical changes in its monetary system
E) developers of new products or services must take into account the social and economic effect of their creations on the greater population

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Current Student
B
Reviews Badge
Re: Annoyed and unsatisfied with the services provided by banks, a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2015, 04:37
I went with D and here are my reasons for the same:

We need some reason as to why the new banking system should be brought back.. Hence we need to pull down the "old banking system" somehow.

Only A and D do justice to that.

However, in A "incompetence and high fees" of banks is made the main culprit. In D, a flaw is found in the way the banks themselves worked that made it vulnerable to radical change in monetary system.

As per the conclusion, we need something to do with the economy..(in the interests of economic health).

Hence D makes more sense.

Regards,
Dom.
Director
Director
G
Re: Annoyed and unsatisfied with the services provided by banks, a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 00:59
Harley1980 wrote:
Annoyed and unsatisfied with the services provided by banks, a consumer single-handedly created a new banking system. The new system gained popularity rapidly, soon controlling a large portion of the market, and consequently leading to the bankruptcy of a few large banks. These cases of bankruptcy resulted in the unemployment of thousands of people. The government intervened, terminating all business related to the new banking system on the basis of the claim that it was the root of the unemployment, and a potential economic crisis. Nevertheless, in the interests of economic health, this forced closure of the new banking system should be revoked since __________.

A) it was the incompetence and high fees charged by the banks that led to the development of the new system in the first place
B) the fact that many banks went bankrupt only shows that people are better off saving their hard-earned money in safes
C) mass unemployment results in a low purchasing power and, in turn, low income for industries, fueling additional unemployment
D) the methods formerly employed by the banks sapped the economy's foundations and left it vulnerable to radical changes in its monetary system
E) developers of new products or services must take into account the social and economic effect of their creations on the greater population

I am not happy with D on this. I think the answer should be C.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 03:44
KS15 wrote:
Harley1980 wrote:

I am not happy with D on this. I think the answer should be C.

Hello KS15
In this argument we have link between "interests of economic health" and "return of the new banking system"
So we should find answer that show to us why new system is good for economic health or why old banking system is bad for economic

C show us why new system is bad so this sentence can not complete this passage:
"For sake of economic health we should return new system because it results in mass unemployment which results in a low purchasing power and, in turn, low income for industries, fueling additional unemployment"
This is illogical phrase becaise if consequencies are so bad why we should return new system?

And D says that old bank system is bad for economy health because it undermine foundations. New system is too bad but only temporary because some people in old banking lost their jobs. The latter drawback is temporary and it is better than continious undermining of economy health by old banking system.

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: ISB '18
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2015, 02:08
I hardly get questions correct when they are posted by Harley and i got it right so surely i wil post .

The reason for D not A is that the arg says in the interest of economic health ; this makes D a suitable choice as former rules caused sapping the eco. Hence D
forms a better answer for me.

KUDOS pls if you like My Post

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2018, 21:14
Why b is not correct? please explain Thanks in Advance!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Annoyed and unsatisfied with the services provided by banks, a &nbs [#permalink] 07 Apr 2018, 21:14

Annoyed and unsatisfied with the services provided by banks, a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap