It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 13:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Another "I'm old and how do I GMAT?" question.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: Another "I'm old and how do I GMAT?" question. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 14:38
atr0038 wrote:
Wow, you and I are in a very similar situation. I just recently started studying for the GMAT with Magoosh, and then I ordered the MGMAT books, along with OG18. I took the MGMAT CAT a few weeks ago to see my starting point and scored a 590. I’m not sure how accurate this is, because I took the actual GMAT 5 years ago without a single minute of studying (All I needed was a 500 to get into my accounting program) and I scored a 650. For the real GMAT exam, I scored a 42 on the verbal, but on the MGMAT CAT, I scored a 32. When I went to analyze my MGMAT CAT Verbal score, I was at the 99th percentile half way through the exam. The second half of the questions were all 700-800 level, and I got about half of them right. Still not sure how I only scored a 32 if I was only seeing 700-800 level questions.

I started studying for quant with Magoosh lessons, and also have about a third left. Honestly, I don’t feel like watching the videos is the best use of my time for quant. I already understand most of the concepts, my problem is applying multiple concepts to a problem. I feel like my GMAT quant ability is improving a ton by actually working through the OG problems. I created an error log with Google Sheets, and I’ve been working through medium quant problem solving questions. I use the free software included with OG18 to set up practice quizzes. If I get a question wrong, I Google the question, and the first thing that always pops up is the solution for the question in the GMAT Club Forum. It’s been super helpful for me, and I highly recommend doing that when trying to improve your quant score. Also, don’t get discouraged if you’re missing a lot of questions, just learn from your mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Yes, that sounds like the exact same position!

I like that approach quite a bit with the OG18. Luckily I have that too, so I think that will be a nice supplemental resource to have.

Magoosh Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount Codes
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3511 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 14:44
jsheppa wrote:
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi jsheppa,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your 2 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 580 +/- a few points). Since both of these CATs were MGMAT CATs, it would help to know how well you perform on one of the Official GMAC CATs (since those Official CATs are the most realistic ones available).

Since you already appear to be working through a Course, there's the question of whether that Course best meshes with your personality or not (and how well that Course is helping YOU to improve). There's some logic to completing the Course that you're in (since you admit that there is Test content that you are not well-versed in yet), but if your current study routine is not helping you to feel confident about your studies, then a change might be warranted.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

I actually just signed up for a month of EMPOWERgmat this afternoon! I begin your course this evening :)

I am going to work through the 3 month plan, supplementing that with some MGMAT/Magoosh resources for fundamentals I might need some extra work with. I will make sure to use one of my GMAC CATs the next time for that one.

I think this will be a positive change. My enthusiasm is still high and I got into really good study habits, so I'm ready for pure learning immediately.

Hi jsheppa,

I think that you have the right overall attitude to approach this process and score higher. Right now, it might be tempting to think about a lot of different aspects of the Exam (such as pacing and specific subjects in Quant and Verbal), but the key is to start developing specific Tactical skills that you'll end up using over-and-over on Test Day. You'll come to find that most GMAT questions are fairly straight-forward, but you have to stay calm, take the necessary notes and look for the built-in patterns that WILL be there in every question that you face.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2017, 20:26
Today was a complete disaster. I took a GMAC CAT and scored a 530, a 60 point drop from my most recent MGMAT CAT. Going into this, I probably psyched myself up a little bit because this was after ~3-4 weeks of using EMPOWERgmat and I was very eager to see my improvement from last time.

When I began this CAT, I began with verbal. I felt OK, throughout it, but was surprised to learn how poorly I did, especially on CR. I thought my RC would be OK because I did review this quite a bit through the first section of EMPOWER, and that did turn out to be my best. My CR/SC was pretty miserable, which I'm not terribly surprised by since I haven't done any review on that yet. The scary part was that I basically disregarded everything I learned in practice and just kind of went on gut. Little did I know that would be a taste of things to come.

For quant, I pretty much ignored everything I learned, especially my 2 biggest tools (TEST IT and TEST THE ANSWERS.) Although I acknowledge that now, it terrifies me that in the face of a test with a timer and no prompt on a syllabus telling me to use one of those, I completely disregard all tricks that were taught to me. It honestly felt as if I went into this test without having just sunk 100 hours into studying.

I also do not like these GMAC CATs. I understand that they are from the writers of the GMAT, but it is unfortunate that there are no detailed solutions, statistics of my right/wrongs, or really any indication of the level of questions I'm getting right/wrong. I wish there were something like MGMAT CAT results.

So at this point, I straight up want to quit. I just dumped 2-3 months of my life studying intensely and tricking myself into thinking I was retaining these strategies and instead I am regressing and doing worse than I did when I came in knowing nothing. REALLY depressing.

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2017, 21:11
Hi jsheppa,

To start, the scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. I think I mentioned this before, but GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your 3 CAT score results are still 'in the range' of one another (560 +/- a few points). This is meant to say that 'your way' of approaching these CATs will continue to earn you a Score in the 500s UNTIL you make the necessary changes to how you 'see' (and respond to) this Exam.

Your recent comment about 'ignoring everything that you learned" is similar to one that you made back on October 1st ("I don't feel like I was able to recall anything I learned while studying - and honestly I can't tell if what I reviewed just didn't show up, or if I just froze and wasn't able to see what questions were really asking").

Now that this has happened twice - after focusing on two different sets of study materials - some analysis is necessary. "Review" is an important part of the Study process, as it helps you to recall past lessons/Tactics/tips/etc. Before taking this CAT, did you complete the Pre-CAT Warm-Up? Those Warm-Up Modules are there to help you get in the right Tactical mindset before you begin your CAT. From what you describe, you might need to do some additional strategic review before starting your CATs.

A full review of this CAT is in order and you should re-attempt all of the questions that you got wrong (using the Tactics that you've learned) - even if it's just to help you better define the questions that you think are too hard. I bet that there are plenty of questions that you could/should have gotten correct. Going forward, one of your 'goals' should be to review your prior CATs repeatedly so that you can 'ingrain' the Tactics and patterns that helped you to answer questions on each CAT. Those patterns WILL repeat on future CATs (and on Test Day), so you need to be able to draw on that knowledge if you want to perform up to your capacity.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 09:17
As always, thank you for the detailed response, Rich.

I did do the warm-up, but I did it the night before. I did surprisingly poorly, was a bit frustrated, and then called it a night. The next day my morning got derailed and I took the test ~15 hours after the warm-up, so I think I lost the purpose of the warm-up. Next time, I'll do it right before the test.

I added my mistakes to the log within EMPOWER last night and got my first impressions of what went wrong. I caught a few stupid math mistakes. I wish there were answer explanations of these rather than just the right answer. I guess I got used to you telling me via videos a possible strategy for a given problem. After work today I'm going to go through it again and attempt the problems again when there's no pressure.

I think more than anything I just need to learn to get into the right mindset. I don't know how I'm going to do that. I practice at a way higher level than my test performance would suggest. I've never taken a standardized test that I cared about before, so this is totally new to me.

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 14:41
Hi jsheppa,

The primary benefit of each Pre-CAT Warm-Up is that it will help you get in the right 'strategic mindset' right before you begin your CAT. Thus, working through that Module the night before you took this CAT wasn't as useful as if you had completed the Module the morning you took your CAT.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Re: Another "I'm old and how do I GMAT?" question.   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2017, 14:41

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Another "I'm old and how do I GMAT?" question.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap