GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Sep 2019, 06:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ants, in order to protect their queen and colony

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Ants, in order to protect their queen and colony  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2016, 05:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (01:17) correct 28% (01:25) wrong based on 148 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Ants, in order to protect their queen and colony, uses the sense of smell to decide whether a visitor to their nest is an intruder.

a, Ants, in order to protect their queen and colony, uses the sense of smell to decide whether a visitor to their nest is an intruder
b, To decide whether a visitor to their nest is an intruder or not, and in order to protect their queen and colony, ants use the sense of smell
c, Ants use the sense of smell to decide whether a visitor to their nest is an intruder, and thereby protect their colony and queen
d, Ants, to protect their colony and queen by deciding whether a visitor to their nest is an intruder, uses the sense of smell
e, To protect their colony and queen by deciding if a visitor to their nest is an intruder, ants use the sense of smell

+1 kudos, if you like the post :wink:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Ants, in order to protect their queen and colony  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2016, 06:55
Answer is C.

A. SVA error. The noun 'Ants' need plural verb 'use'.
B. Modifier and Meaning error. Ants use their sense of smell to detect intruders in the process protect the queen and colony. Answer choice suggest to protect the queen and colony ants use sense of smell.
C. Correct. Corrects both the SVA and meaning error.
D. SVA error same as A.
E. Usage of 'if' is not appropriate.

Let me know if I have overlooked anything.
Board of Directors
D
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2016, 08:19
prasadyanz wrote:
Ants, in order to protect their queen and colony, uses the sense of smell to decide whether a visitor to their nest is an intruder.

a, Ants, in order to protect their queen and colony, uses the sense of smell to decide whether a visitor to their nest is an intruder
b, To decide whether a visitor to their nest is an intruder or not, and in order to protect their queen and colony, ants use the sense of smell
c, Ants use the sense of smell to decide whether a visitor to their nest is an intruder, and thereby protect their colony and queen
d, Ants, to protect their colony and queen by deciding whether a visitor to their nest is an intruder, uses the sense of smell
e, To protect their colony and queen by deciding if a visitor to their nest is an intruder, ants use the sense of smell

IMHO (C) for the highlighted errors above...

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2019, 11:34
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Ants, in order to protect their queen and colony   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2019, 11:34

Ants, in order to protect their queen and colony

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics