Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 240 [87]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64898 [16]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
WE 1: Engineering
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Send PM
Re: Any serious policy discussion about acceptable levels of risk in [#permalink]
Kudos
amirdubai1982 wrote:
Any serious policy discussion about acceptable levels of risk in connection with explosions is not well served if the participants fail to use the word “explosion” and use the phrase “energetic disassembly” instead. In fact, the word “explosion” elicits desirable reactions, such as a heightened level of attention, whereas the substitute phrase does not. Therefore, of the two terms, “explosion” is the one that should be used throughout discussions of this sort.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument above depends?

(A) In the kind of discussion at issue, the advantages of desirable reactions to the term “explosion” outweigh the drawbacks, if any, arising from undesirable reactions to that term.
(B) The phrase “energetic disassembly” has not so far been used as a substitute for the word “explosion” in the kind of discussion at issue.
(C) In any serious policy discussion, what is said by the participants is more important than how it is put into words.
(D) The only reason that people would have for using “energetic disassembly” in place of “explosion” is to render impossible any serious policy discussion concerning explosions.
(E) The phrase “energetic disassembly” is not necessarily out of place in describing a controlled rather than an accidental explosion

I am not able to paraphrase the argument pls help????

source : LSAT
If it is nice and challenging enough, don't forget Kadoss :)
OA: A

Paraphrase is: If you have to really discuss risks related to explosions, call explosions 'explosions' and not 'energetic dissembly', because only word explosion creates in audience reactions like serious attention which are required for serious discussion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: Any serious policy discussion about acceptable levels of risk in conne [#permalink]
The key here is to look at what would happen if the opposite of (A) was true - would the argument still stand? The argument itself is that the word explosion gets more of a reaction than "energetic disassembly," and that the increased reaction is a good thing.

If (A) were to be negated, it would read something along the lines of "the advantages of the desirable reactions do NOT outweigh the disadvantages of the undesirable reactions." If this was true, the entire argument for using the word explosion would fall apart. You wouldn't use a word if the undesirable reactions were more intense than the desirable reactions. Because negating that statement seriously harms the argument's conclusion, it must be an assumption that the argument is built on.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 259 [0]
Given Kudos: 302
Send PM
Re: Any serious policy discussion about acceptable levels of risk in conne [#permalink]
amirdubai1982 wrote:
Any serious policy discussion about acceptable levels of risk in connection with explosions is not well served if the participants fail to use the word “explosion” and use the phrase “energetic disassembly” instead. In fact, the word “explosion” elicits desirable reactions, such as a heightened level of attention, whereas the substitute phrase does not. Therefore, of the two terms, “explosion” is the one that should be used throughout discussions of this sort.

(A) In the kind of discussion at issue, the advantages of desirable reactions to the term “explosion” outweigh the drawbacks, if any, arising from undesirable reactions to that term.

(B) The phrase “energetic disassembly” has not so far been used as a substitute for the word “explosion” in the kind of discussion at issue.

(C) In any serious policy discussion, what is said by the participants is more important than how it is put into words.

(D) The only reason that people would have for using “energetic disassembly” in place of “explosion” is to render impossible any serious policy discussion concerning explosions.

(E) The phrase “energetic disassembly” is not necessarily out of place in describing a controlled rather than an accidental explosion.

The conclusion is "of the two terms, “explosion” is the one that should be used throughout discussions of this sort."

Option C and E are out of scope.
Option B is irrelevant.

Between option A and D , lets use negation technique.

Option A when negated ,

In the kind of discussion at issue, the advantages of desirable reactions to the term “explosion” DO NOT outweigh the drawbacks, if any, arising from undesirable reactions to that term.

If the advantages of the term 'explosions' do not outweigh the drawbacks , then the term 'explosion' should not be used. The conclusion i.e "of the two terms, “explosion” is the one that should be used throughout discussions of this sort." can not follow.

Option A is the assumption.

Now lets check option D...

Option D when negated ,
The only reason that people would have for using “energetic disassembly” in place of “explosion” is NOT to render impossible any serious policy discussion concerning explosions.
That means "energetic disassembly " makes any serious policy discussion possible. But that means "energetic disassembly" can lead to undesirable reactions and for that , "explosion" should be used.
The conclusion i.e "of the two terms, “explosion” is the one that should be used throughout discussions of this sort." can follow.

Conclusion follows after negation. Option D is incorrect.

Is my negation technique for eliminating option D the correct approach ? VeritasKarishma GMATNinja
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64898 [2]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sayan640 wrote:
amirdubai1982 wrote:

(E) The phrase “energetic disassembly” is not necessarily out of place in describing a controlled rather than an accidental explosion.

The conclusion is "of the two terms, “explosion” is the one that should be used throughout discussions of this sort."

Option B is irrelevant.

Option A when negated ,

In the kind of discussion at issue, the advantages of desirable reactions to the term “explosion” DO NOT outweigh the drawbacks, if any, arising from undesirable reactions to that term.

If the advantages of the term 'explosions' do not outweigh the drawbacks , then the term 'explosion' should not be used. The conclusion i.e "of the two terms, “explosion” is the one that should be used throughout discussions of this sort." can not follow.

Option D when negated ,
The only reason that people would have for using “energetic disassembly” in place of “explosion” is NOT to render impossible any serious policy discussion concerning explosions.
That means "energetic disassembly " makes any serious policy discussion possible. But that means "energetic disassembly" can lead to undesirable reactions and for that , "explosion" should be used.
The conclusion i.e "of the two terms, “explosion” is the one that should be used throughout discussions of this sort." can follow.

Is my negation technique for eliminating option D the correct approach ? VeritasKarishma GMATNinja

When you negate (D), "the only reason" will be replaced by "not the only reason". Even if they have other reasons to use “energetic disassembly”, still it is possible that "explosions" should be used since advantages of using "explosions" outweighs advantages of using “energetic disassembly”. Hence the conclusion can still hold.

A word on negation - it is not necessary to use negation in every assumption question. I find that negation technique is confusing at times and I advise my students to avoid it. Only if one is really stuck between two options and can't see a way out should one give it a shot.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 442
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Any serious policy discussion about acceptable levels of risk in [#permalink]
Hello VeritasKarishma ma'am and experts,

Is this reasoning correct to reject option B ?

The phrase “energetic disassembly” has not so far been used as a substitute for the word “explosion” in the kind of discussion at issue.

In this option we do not know whether such discussions are filled with high levels of attentions or desirable actions, so we can't have any impact of this option on the argument?

Had this option been
The phrase “energetic disassembly” has not so far been used as a substitute for the word “explosion” in the kind of discussion at issue that involves desirable reactions and high level of attention

Would this option been an assumption. I actually pre-thought on similar lines.

My thought was - Even infrequent usage of ED ( energetic disassembly) in substitute of explosion would not lead to high attentions or desirable reactions ( Because this makes me believe more in throughout use of explosion)

Please suggest if the modified option could qualify for assumption?

Regards,
Rishav
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 259 [0]
Given Kudos: 302
Send PM
Any serious policy discussion about acceptable levels of risk in [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma wrote:
sayan640 wrote:
amirdubai1982 wrote:

Option B is irrelevant.

Option A when negated ,

Option D when negated ,

When you negate (D), "the only reason" will be replaced by "not the only reason". Even if they have other reasons to use “energetic disassembly”, still it is possible that "explosions" should be used since advantages of using "explosions" outweighs advantages of using “energetic disassembly”. Hence the conclusion can still hold.

A word on negation - it is not necessary to use negation in every assumption question. I find that negation technique is confusing at times and I advise my students to avoid it. Only if one is really stuck between two options and can't see a way out should one give it a shot.

Hi Maa'm,

I find the highlighted portion of your reasoning questionable. Can you please explain why you are mentioning the point from option A ( "...advantages of using "explosions" outweighs advantages of using “energetic disassembly”....is from option A ) while negating option D ?

I am providing my reasoning below by negating option D.
Please let me know whether it's correct.

Option D if negated :-

"NOT The only reason that people would have for using “energetic disassembly” in place of “explosion” is to render impossible any serious policy discussion concerning explosions."
There are other reasons too for using the term " “energetic disassembly”". But "the word “explosion” elicits desirable reactions, such as a heightened level of attention, whereas the substitute phrase does not." So "explosion" should still be used even though there are reasons for using the term "energetic disassembly" . So the conclusion i.e " of the two terms, “explosion” is the one that should be used throughout discussions of this sort." can follow.

Conclusion follows after negation. So option D is not correct.

VeritasKarishma GMATNinja ChiranjeevSingh
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64898 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
sayan640 wrote:
Hi Maa'm,

I find the highlighted portion of your reasoning questionable. Can you please explain why you are mentioning the point from option A ( "...advantages of using "explosions" outweighs advantages of using “energetic disassembly”....is from option A ) while negating option D ?

I am providing my reasoning below by negating option D.
Please let me know whether it's correct.

Option D if negated :-

"NOT The only reason that people would have for using “energetic disassembly” in place of “explosion” is to render impossible any serious policy discussion concerning explosions."
There are other reasons too for using the term " “energetic disassembly”". But "the word “explosion” elicits desirable reactions, such as a heightened level of attention, whereas the substitute phrase does not." So "explosion" should still be used even though there are reasons for using the term "energetic disassembly" . So the conclusion i.e " of the two terms, “explosion” is the one that should be used throughout discussions of this sort." can follow.

Conclusion follows after negation. So option D is not correct.

VeritasKarishma GMATNinja ChiranjeevSingh

The explanation for (D) has nothing to do with option (A).

Negating option (D) tells is that there could be multiple reasons for using the term "energetic disassembly" i.e. there can be multiple advantages of using "energetic disassembly". Just because option (A) uses the term 'advantages', it doesn't mean we cannot call 'reasons for using A' 'advantages for using A' - both make the same point irrespective of the term used). It is easier to use the term "advantages" since it helps you understand why (D) is incorrect and (A) is correct. It is no different if you use the term 'reasons'. The logic stays the same.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 558 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
VeritasKarishma

Please could you help me understand the difference between "what is said" and "how it is put into words"

Both the phrases meant one and the same for me
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Hoozan wrote:
VeritasKarishma

Please could you help me understand the difference between "what is said" and "how it is put into words"

Both the phrases meant one and the same for me

I am not expert , but here is my understanding:
what is said by the participants = it can be ungrammatical as we use in oral language . for this context : use any word ( here focus on meaning)
how it is put into words= use proper words/expression : using word "explosion" is important than any substitute , even both words have same meaning ( here focus on words)
Actually this weakens the conclusion:
We need an option that strengthens the claim that words are important. That's why emphasis is on using word " explosion"

I hope it helps:)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stern '25 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.13
Send PM
The Argument never talked about undesirable outcomes, how is the choice [A] is correct?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Hi VeritasKarishma

This question took a hard time for me to solve.
Could you please check if my approach is correct ?

serious policy discussion---> use term explosion --> for desirable reaction
question: term 'explosion' should be used in serious discussion
missing gap: desirable reaction is needed in policy discussion

option should orient around in realtion of reaction with serious discussion

(A) In the kind of discussion at issue, the advantages of desirable reactions to the term “explosion” outweigh the drawbacks, if any, arising from undesirable reactions to that term

in short, using term "explosion" would have advantages over disadvantages if any for serious discussion

Am I right?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64898 [2]
Send PM
Any serious policy discussion about acceptable levels of risk in [#permalink]
Kudos