Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:10 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree that it is good to have a place to jot down ideas for essays as you think about them over the coming months. This is especially true with the personal anecdote type of essay question. My one word of caution is to avoid getting too carried away with this exercise- a bit like generals who focus too much on winning the last war some candidates have a hard time letting go of essay concepts that they crafted based on the prompts from prior years.

Hjort
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Concentration: Startegy
Schools:Harvard, NYU Stern
 Q47  V27
Send PM
[#permalink]
hi,
i wanted to ask that as you attended Harvard, does elite b-schools give more stress on the quant score of GMAT while evaluating an applicant's GMAT score, or is it the overall score?

regards

VanessaR wrote:
Essay questions and topics can change from year to year, but in some cases it may be helpful to start writing early. I'll share my own personal strategy - this worked well for me, but may not work for everyone.

When I decided to apply to b-school, I took a look at the current year's essay questions from some of my target schools. I didn't apply that year but kept those questions in mind. I then started to write out possible answers to those questions in a notebook. I wrote in it as I was "inspired" to - it was kind of a b-school essay journal. When I remembered certain things that happened at work or in other areas of life where I had leadership experiences, I wrote in this notebook. Two years later when I was ready to actually apply, I utilized this notebook and reviewed it as I crafted my essays. I had absolutely no writer's block by the time I sat down to do my application. By the time I gave my essays to someone to edit, he did not have one word of advice for me. I had spent so much time thinking about my experiences and recording them, that I had no problems putting my thoughts to paper and picking the best experiences for the essays. It worked for me - I attended Harvard Business School.

It may not be "safe" in the sense that you are thinking to just write out answers to essay questions before the new questions come out (because the essay questions can change, although several are rather standard - just reworded sometimes). However, I think it's a good exercise to reflect and start writing early if you have the time. This exercise is good not just for applying to business school - but simply for personal growth reasons.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
An applicant's entire package is viewed holistically by elite schools. The answer to your question varies on a case by case basis. Some applicants with low quant scores get admitted to elite schools, but are required to take coursework prior to enrollment. They might have to take courses outside of the school or attend a special "boot camp" at the school before orientation. That said, your overall score is very important as are the parts. It helps the admissions committee gauge how well you will likely do in the program. The bottom line - do as well on the GMAT as you can and retake it if necessary. But if you feel like you've done as well as you are going to do, it may be time to focus on other aspects of the application.

Vanessa
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Concentration: Startegy
Schools:Harvard, NYU Stern
 Q47  V27
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks for the reply.i wanted to ask if the quant score is well above the averegeof students applying but verbal is low, leading to a lower GMAT score than the averege.does a high quant score helps to rectify a lower GMAT score?i heard that B-schools are more concerned with the quant score in the GMAT/

VanessaR wrote:
An applicant's entire package is viewed holistically by elite schools. The answer to your question varies on a case by case basis. Some applicants with low quant scores get admitted to elite schools, but are required to take coursework prior to enrollment. They might have to take courses outside of the school or attend a special "boot camp" at the school before orientation. That said, your overall score is very important as are the parts. It helps the admissions committee gauge how well you will likely do in the program. The bottom line - do as well on the GMAT as you can and retake it if necessary. But if you feel like you've done as well as you are going to do, it may be time to focus on other aspects of the application.

Vanessa
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]