GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Apr 2019, 15:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Applications for advertising spots on KMTV, Greentown’s local cable te

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Applications for advertising spots on KMTV, Greentown’s local cable te  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2019, 03:52
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

36% (01:48) correct 64% (02:02) wrong based on 121 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Applications for advertising spots on KMTV, Greentown’s local cable television channel, decreased last year. Meanwhile a neighboring town’s local channel, KOOP, shifted its focus to farming issues and reported an increase in advertising applications for the year. To increase applications for its advertisement spots, KMTV should focus its programming on farming issues as well.

Which of the following wekens the argument above?

A. The general nature of jobs available in Greentown differs slightly from that in the town where KOOP is based.
B. KMTV has seen its advertising revenue fall for three consecutive years.
C. KOOP offers advertising spots at a particularly cheap rate when compared to similar channels’.
D. KMTV has nearly doubled the price of advertising spots from last year to the current one.
E. KMTV and KOOP have been competitors since both started operation in 1992.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
V
Re: Applications for advertising spots on KMTV, Greentown’s local cable te  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 22:17
Thakurdas wrote:
Applications for advertising spots on KMTV, Greentown’s local cable television channel, decreased last year. Meanwhile a neighboring town’s local channel, KOOP, shifted its focus to farming issues and reported an increase in advertising applications for the year. To increase applications for its advertisement spots, KMTV should focus its programming on farming issues as well.

A. The general nature of jobs available in Greentown differs slightly from that in the town where KOOP is based.
C. KOOP offers advertising spots at a particularly cheap rate when compared to similar channels’.
D. KMTV has nearly doubled the price of advertising spots from last year to the current one.

Hi,

The argument says that KMTV should follow the path of KOOP by switching over to the farming issues.
We have to weaken the argument.
How can we do it..
1. Some other reasons for this increase in KOOP and drop in KMTV.
2. Something that tells us that farming issues cannot be applied to KMTV

We can eliminate all except C and D as also seen in above posts.

For all those confused between C and D..
Choice C tells us that the rates at KOOP are quite cheap when compared to others, so rates are also cheap when compared to KMTV
But that must be the case even earlier, but WHY did the increase happen in last two years. . This choice does not hit the reason for the increase specific to last year. If we accept the choice C to be true, then the increase in the advertising applications for KOOP should have been high in years prior to last year.
So, eliminate C because it does not give us reason to believe that the cheaper rates are responsible for increase in LAST year's applications.

Now D talks of the two year in question - last year and present year.
Thus it gives us another reason for the decrease of KMTV's add applications.

D
V
Re: Applications for advertising spots on KMTV, Greentown’s local cable te  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2019, 03:56
Thakurdas wrote:

Could you please name topics according to the rules? Check rule 3 here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-po ... 33935.html Thank you.
B
GPA: 3
Applications for advertising spots on KMTV, Greentown’s local cable te  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2019, 12:38
A is a general statement...just because jobs are different doesnt weaken the conclusion. Also it mentions the word "slighly"

C was a bit tricky but we need to weaken the conclusion about KMTV.

Thus D is the answer...because if they increase the cost it might not work

Posted from my mobile device

The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense."
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 09:20
Hi,

Can someone please explain, why C is incorrect? We have to weaken the argument. As per argument, KOOP has shifted it's focus that resulted in an increase of the number of applications received so KMTC should also do the same. Anything that can prove that it's not the focus change but something else that has increased the number of applications will serve the purpose. C does exactly the same. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 11:18
The question is Weaken the argument that KMTV will get more applications if it focuses on farming

The debate is between C and D

KOOP may be receiving more applications bc people care about farming and ad spots are cheap there. So if KMTV does farming programming but sells ads at 2X the competition it will still not get more applications.

Basically cost of advertising on KMTV is more important to KMTV applications than the effect of the cost of advertising on KOOP on KMTV applications

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 11:44
nguen wrote:
The question is Weaken the argument that KMTV will get more applications if it focuses on farming

KOOP may be receiving more applications bc people care about farming and ad spots are cheap there. So if KMTV does farming programming but sells ads at 2X the competition it will still not get more applications.

Basically cost of advertising on KMTV is more important to KMTV applications than the effect of the cost of advertising on KOOP on KMTV applications

Got it..thanks
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 16:38
VeritasKarishma
mikemcgarry
GMATNinja
Can you please explain why option C is not the answer ?

Manager
Manager
S
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 21:31
nguen wrote:

What if 2x rate is significantly less then other competitor's charge? InoptionC, it is clearlt mentioned KOOP's rate is much lower than other channels' rate.
Please advise.

Regards,
Arup
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.9
WE: Account Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Apr 2019, 05:24
Hi,
Author’s conclusion is to increase applications for advert spots. How does D, KMTV has nearly doubled the price of advertising spots from last year to the current one, weakens it? D rather presents the reason behind the said fall/reduction in advert spots.

Shouldn’t the correct answer choice affect the validity of the author’s conclusion, which is a plan in this case?

I don’t buy it.

Edit: Now that chetan2u has provided a thorough explanation, I understand it better and have also found gap in my reasoning.
I do buy it now.

~If you do what's easy, your life will be hard. If you do what's hard, your life will be easy~

Originally posted by Doer01 on 16 Apr 2019, 21:48.
Last edited by Doer01 on 17 Apr 2019, 05:24, edited 1 time in total.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
D

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2019, 03:34
sayan640 wrote:
VeritasKarishma
mikemcgarry
GMATNinja

Check chetan2u's explanation above. It's right on point.
Let me know if there are any doubts.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2019, 17:22
chetan2u wrote:
Thakurdas wrote:

Hi,

The argument says that KMTV should follow the path of KOOP by switching over to the farming issues.
How can we do it..

Choice C tells us that the rates at KOOP are quite cheap when compared to others, so rates are also cheap when compared to KMTV
But that must be the case even earlier, but WHY did the increase happen in last two years. . This choice does not hit the reason for the increase specific to last year. If we accept the choice C to be true, then the increase in the advertising applications for KOOP should have been high in years prior to last year.
So, eliminate C because it does not give us reason to believe that the cheaper rates are responsible for increase in LAST year's applications.

D

Thanks chetan2u
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2019, 02:50
I don't think D is the answer.

As the decrease was reported last year for KMTV.
Even if according to D: KMTV has nearly doubled the price of advertising spots from last year to the current one.How this explains the decrease for last year.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2019, 07:52
chetan2u wrote:
Thakurdas wrote:

Hi,

How can we do it..

D

In D are we talking about the duration i.e they have increased prices last year and that change is still applicable. If that is the case, then this sentence is so confusing or I would say badly written. Can you please confirm?

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Apr 2019, 23:11
VeritasKarishma wrote:
sayan640 wrote:
VeritasKarishma
mikemcgarry
GMATNinja

PLEASE TELL ME WHY MY REASONING IS FLAWED . I OFTEN FIND MYSELF SELECTING THE WRONG OPTION BECAUSE I SOMEHOW HAVE A VERY DIFFERENT REASONING FOR THE WRONG OPTION :cry: :please

VeritasKarishma
mikemcgarry
GMATNinja

My reasoning was as follows :

conclusion : to increase the number of application to KMTV , it must focus its programming on farming issues as well

Foundation of the argument:

KOOP increased its applications by focusing on farming issues , thus KMTV would increase its applications by doing the same

Pre thought options that would weaken the above argument:

1) any option that says focusing on farming issues may not INCREASE THE APPLICATIONS for KMTV
2) any option that says IT IS NOT FOCUS ON FARMING ISSUES THAT LEAD TO INCREASE IN APPLICATIONS FOR KOOP

NOTE TO SELF: We are not concerned with what lead to the decrease in applications for KMTV but whether Focusing on farming issues would increase the applications or not

A. The general nature of jobs available in Greentown differs slightly from that in the town where KOOP is based. -----> resounds with (1)
B. KMTV has seen its advertising revenue fall for three consecutive years.-----> IRRELEVANT
-------> Even if that is the case then it does not mean that its the cheap rate that lead to increase in its applications and not farming
issues . it could be one of the contributing factors but not the only one , as if it were the only one then focus on farming
issues would not have lead to increase in applications

----------> as pointed earlier , we are not concerned with what led to the decrease in the applications but whether the focus in
farming issues would increase the applications or not.
It could be the reason for decrease in the number of applications to KMTV , but that does not mean focusing on agri
issues will not increase the number of applications even marginally

eg) the sales of candies of company A decreased after it increased the price of its candies
company B in another country introduced candies of flavor X and increased its sales
now can we say that if Company A introduced candies of flavor X in its country , it will not increase its sales??

no... we cant say that , if there were some people buying candies of Company A despite the increase of price
there would certainly be people who buy candies of flavor X ---> this would increase sales

UNLESS , PEOPLE OF COUNTRY A HATE FLAVOR X-----> again Resounds with (1)

E. KMTV and KOOP have been competitors since both started operation in 1992.----> IRRELEVANT

Originally posted by gmattodreamschool on 19 Apr 2019, 01:08.
Last edited by gmattodreamschool on 19 Apr 2019, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2019, 14:17
VeritasKarishma wrote:
sayan640 wrote:
VeritasKarishma
mikemcgarry
GMATNinja

Hi VeritasKarishma,

Excerpt from the passage:
    Applications for advertising spots on KMTV, Greentown’s local cable television channel, decreased last year.
    Meanwhile a neighboring town’s local channel, KOOP, shifted its focus to farming issues and reported an increase in advertising applications for the year. To increase applications for its advertisement spots, KMTV should focus its programming on farming issues as well.

Conclusion:
    KMTV should adopt as KOOP did -----------> To increase applications for its advertisement spots.

Pre-Think:
    Portray an alternate reason for the effect
      OR
    show that the reasoning missed something pertinent and attack that flaw.

If we plot the timelines, D actually goes against the logic-chain:
    Passage states: Applications for advertising spots on KMTV, Greentown’s local cable television channel, decreased last year
    Let's say,
      Current year: 2019
      Last year: 2018 | Applications# = 500 - A drop in applications number from 2017 to 2018 ( AppsForAds on KMTV dropped last year in 2018 )
      Last-to-last year: 2017 | Applications# = 800

Option D: KMTV has nearly doubled the price of advertising spots from last year to the current one.
    Price in 2018 (last year): 50$
    Price in 2019 (current year): 100$
    The drop in applications had already happened in 2018 by the time the prices were made twice in 2019.
      Timelines according to D:
        In 2018 The drop in applications happened ---------> In 2019, the application prices were made twice.

Then, How CAN the change in price, which occurred in the relative future, affect/decide the past scenario?
    It simply does NOT fit.

Would be great if you can provide some insight!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Applications for advertising spots on KMTV, Greentown’s local cable te   [#permalink] 19 Apr 2019, 14:17

Applications for advertising spots on KMTV, Greentown’s local cable te

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap