GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 01:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Aquafame Theme Park sells two types of tickets – for water park and fo

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Jan 2015
Posts: 3158
Aquafame Theme Park sells two types of tickets – for water park and fo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Mar 2019, 01:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

37% (02:34) correct 63% (02:35) wrong based on 60 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Aquafame Theme Park sells two types of tickets – for water park and for fun rides. On a certain day, 40% of the total visitors had water park tickets as well as fun rides tickets. If 33.33% of the visitors with water park tickets did not buy fun rides tickets, then what percentage of the total visitors bought fun rides tickets?

A. 20%
B. 33.33%
C. 40%
D. 66.67%
E. 80%

Image

_________________

Originally posted by EgmatQuantExpert on 13 Mar 2019, 01:40.
Last edited by EgmatQuantExpert on 28 Mar 2019, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
V
Joined: 18 Aug 2017
Posts: 5428
Location: India
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Aquafame Theme Park sells two types of tickets – for water park and fo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2019, 02:17
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
Aquafame Theme Park sells two types of tickets – for water park and for fun rides. On a certain day, 40% of the total visitors had water park tickets as well as fun rides tickets. If 33.33% of the visitors with water park tickets did not buy fun rides tickets, then what percentage of the total visitors bought fun rides tickets?

A. 20%
B. 33.33%
C. 40%
D. 66.67%
E. 80%



solved using 2x2 matrix

--------water park-------not wp------total
Funride--40--------------40--------80
notfr---20--------0---------20
total----60-------40--------100

let total =100
so 33.33% of the visitors with water park tickets did not buy fun rides tickets, then what percentage of the total visitors bought fun rides tickets
40+(40+x)*.33= 40+x
x= 19.7 ~ 20
so total water park tickets = 40+20 ; 60
rest we can solve
we get percentage of the total visitors bought fun rides tickets ; 80%
IMO E
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 05 Oct 2017
Posts: 101
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: ISB '21, IIMA , IIMB
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Aquafame Theme Park sells two types of tickets – for water park and fo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Mar 2019, 01:43
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
Aquafame Theme Park sells two types of tickets – for water park and for fun rides. On a certain day, 40% of the total visitors had water park tickets as well as fun rides tickets. If 33.33% of the visitors with water park tickets did not buy fun rides tickets, then what percentage of the total visitors bought fun rides tickets?

A. 20%
B. 33.33%
C. 40%
D. 66.67%
E. 80%


Let us assume the no. of water park ticket bought = x

again 33.33% or 1/3 of the visitors i.e x/3 with water park tickets did not buy fun rides tickets

So , 2x/3 bought water park tickets as well as fun ride tickets. this is 40% of the total number of visitors

So total visitors = 2x/3*100/40 = 5x/3

Number of visitors who bought fun ride tickets = 5x/3-x/3 = 4x/3

So percentage of fun ride tickets sold = (4x/3)/(5x/3)*100 = 80 . Answer (E)

Originally posted by shuvodip04 on 14 Mar 2019, 02:34.
Last edited by shuvodip04 on 19 Mar 2019, 01:43, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Status: when you say,"I can or I can't", Both times you are right!
Joined: 26 Nov 2018
Posts: 31
Location: India
Re: Aquafame Theme Park sells two types of tickets – for water park and fo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2019, 05:55
2
the question itself says 40 % of visitor bought both types of tickets.

hence, the Total number of visitor who purchased fun ride tickets must be more than 40%... then, A, B, and C are out.

with few mental calculations, anyone can say the answer is 80 %
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 07 Aug 2017
Posts: 87
Location: India
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: Aquafame Theme Park sells two types of tickets – for water park and fo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2019, 07:17
1
IMO C
OA E

Let total visitors be 100.
40 bought both Water park and Fun ride.
33.33% of water park ticket holders did not buy fun ride tickets means that 100-33.33=66.67% of water park ticket holders bought fun ride tickets as well.
that is, 66.67%WP=40
WP=60
therefore, FR=40
and FR=40%

EDIT:

FR=40 is the number of visitors that bought only fun ride ticket. It is asked - what % of total visitors bought fun ride ticket?
So total 80 visitors bought fun ride tickets, 40 visitors bought both and 40 visitors bought only fun ride.
Therefore %= 80%
------------------------------------------------
Kudos if helpful!
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Jan 2015
Posts: 3158
Re: Aquafame Theme Park sells two types of tickets – for water park and fo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 22:44
3

Solution


Given:
    • Aquafame Theme Park sells two types of tickets – for water park and for fun rides.
    • On a certain day, 40% of the total visitors had water park tickets as well as fun rides tickets.
    • 33.33% of the visitors with water park tickets did not buy fun rides tickets.

To find:
    • The percentage of the total visitors bought fun rides tickets.

Approach and Working:
Let us assume that the total number of visitors on the certain day was 100.
    • Number of visitors who had water park tickets as well as fun ride tickets = 40% of 100 = 40.

If n is the total number of visitors with water park tickets, then among them, \(\frac{n}{3}\) visitors did not have fun ride tickets.
    • Therefore, \((n – \frac{n}{3}) = \frac{2n}{3}\) visitors are there with water park tickets as well as fun ride tickets.

As per the given question, \(\frac{2n}{3} = 40\)
    • Or, \(n = 40 * \frac{3}{2} = 60\)

And, out of those 60 visitors, \(60 * \frac{1}{3} = 20\) visitors had only water park tickets.
    • Therefore, number of visitors with fun ride tickets = 100 – 20 = 80
    • Or, percentage of visitors with fun ride tickets = 80%

Hence, the correct answer is option E.

Answer: E
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Jun 2017
Posts: 104
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V35
Re: Aquafame Theme Park sells two types of tickets – for water park and fo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2019, 04:41
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:

Solution


Given:
    • Aquafame Theme Park sells two types of tickets – for water park and for fun rides.
    • On a certain day, 40% of the total visitors had water park tickets as well as fun rides tickets.
    • 33.33% of the visitors with water park tickets did not buy fun rides tickets.

To find:
    • The percentage of the total visitors bought fun rides tickets.

Approach and Working:
Let us assume that the total number of visitors on the certain day was 100.
    • Number of visitors who had water park tickets as well as fun ride tickets = 40% of 100 = 40.

If n is the total number of visitors with water park tickets, then among them, \(\frac{n}{3}\) visitors did not have fun ride tickets.
    • Therefore, \((n – \frac{n}{3}) = \frac{2n}{3}\) visitors are there with water park tickets as well as fun ride tickets.

As per the given question, \(\frac{2n}{3} = 40\)
    • Or, \(n = 40 * \frac{3}{2} = 60\)

And, out of those 60 visitors, \(60 * \frac{1}{3} = 20\) visitors had only water park tickets.
    • Therefore, number of visitors with fun ride tickets = 100 – 20 = 80
    • Or, percentage of visitors with fun ride tickets = 80%

Hence, the correct answer is option E.

Answer: E

Thank you , but why have you assumed that no one didn't bought neither ?
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 05 Oct 2017
Posts: 101
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: ISB '21, IIMA , IIMB
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Aquafame Theme Park sells two types of tickets – for water park and fo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2019, 05:21
2
foryearss wrote:
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:

Solution


Given:
    • Aquafame Theme Park sells two types of tickets – for water park and for fun rides.
    • On a certain day, 40% of the total visitors had water park tickets as well as fun rides tickets.
    • 33.33% of the visitors with water park tickets did not buy fun rides tickets.

To find:
    • The percentage of the total visitors bought fun rides tickets.

Approach and Working:
Let us assume that the total number of visitors on the certain day was 100.
    • Number of visitors who had water park tickets as well as fun ride tickets = 40% of 100 = 40.

If n is the total number of visitors with water park tickets, then among them, \(\frac{n}{3}\) visitors did not have fun ride tickets.
    • Therefore, \((n – \frac{n}{3}) = \frac{2n}{3}\) visitors are there with water park tickets as well as fun ride tickets.

As per the given question, \(\frac{2n}{3} = 40\)
    • Or, \(n = 40 * \frac{3}{2} = 60\)

And, out of those 60 visitors, \(60 * \frac{1}{3} = 20\) visitors had only water park tickets.
    • Therefore, number of visitors with fun ride tickets = 100 – 20 = 80
    • Or, percentage of visitors with fun ride tickets = 80%

Hence, the correct answer is option E.

Answer: E

Thank you , but why have you assumed that no one didn't bought neither ?


foryearss

The question stem says that Aquafame Theme Park sells two types of tickets – for water park and for fun rides.
So if you are visitor to the park you have to buy either of the ticket or both. If you dont buy any of the two ticket you can't be a visitor, since the park only sales only two type of tickets.

I hope I am able to clear the confusion you have.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Aquafame Theme Park sells two types of tickets – for water park and fo   [#permalink] 20 Mar 2019, 05:21
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Aquafame Theme Park sells two types of tickets – for water park and fo

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne