GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Apr 2019, 15:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Aquatic Plumbing Supply recently opened a wholesale outlet in the loca

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Aquatic Plumbing Supply recently opened a wholesale outlet in the loca  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2019, 21:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

35% (02:05) correct 65% (01:41) wrong based on 84 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Aquatic Plumbing Supply recently opened a wholesale outlet in the location once occupied by the Gustator Café. Aquatic has apparently been quite successful there because it is planning to open a large outlet in a nearby city. But the Gustator Café, one year after moving to its new location, has seen its volume of business drop somewhat from the previous year’s. Clearly, the former site was the better business location, and the Gustator Café has made a mistake in moving to its new address.

Which of the following points to a fault in the argument?

A. Success in business is often dependent on a combination of multiple factors.
B. The café business is significantly different from the plumbing material wholesale business.
C. The Gustator Café has changed its marketing strategy from mass to niche targeting.
D. Aquatic Plumbing Supply has chosen a venue that a lot of people pass by every day.
E. The choice of location depends on the overall business strategy which may or may not aim at maximizing volume.
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3
Re: Aquatic Plumbing Supply recently opened a wholesale outlet in the loca  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 05:41
IMO its E

A- Its a very general thought does not directly give a flaw

B-This was always the case...before the cafe moved places. Does not impact the argument

C- Going into niche should have made it better, increase the volume of business

D- Out of scope, we need to find the conclusion for Gustator Cafe

E- It attacks one of the lines from the passage - But the Gustator Café, one year after moving to its new location, has seen its volume of business drop somewhat from the previous year’s

The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense."
Manager
Manager
S
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Aquatic Plumbing Supply recently opened a wholesale outlet in the loca  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 07:05
Isn't B also a flaw in the argument? Plumbing business and cafe are not the same industry.
Please explain.

regards,
Arup
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Aquatic Plumbing Supply recently opened a wholesale outlet in the loca  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 15:01
between A and E , can anyone let me know why E is better : here's my thought for A
Success in business is often dependent on a combination of multiple factors.
I thought this is the case for both business , Aquatic and the Cafe
"Aquatic has apparently been quite successful there because it is planning to open a large outlet in a nearby city."
so the argument thinks that Aquatic is successful because it is planning to open a large outlet in a nearby city
and this is may not be true because : Success in business is often dependent on a combination of multiple factors.
( so the success may not be because of the new location )
Also in the Cafe business , they think that the volume is the only factor , but again , there are other factors to consider
so I thought A is better, E , on the other hand , discusses only the cafe business

correct me please
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 15:11
VeritasKarishma
GMATNinja
mikemcgarry
Is not B a good choice to consider ?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 15:17
sayan640 wrote:
VeritasKarishma
GMATNinja
mikemcgarry

Hi , I feel like B is more of a strengther , think about it
The café business is significantly different from the plumbing material wholesale business.
so what does that mean? even though the 2 businesses are significantly different ,each of them was more successful in this location ,so the location is indeed a good one , ( it has so much traffic for example that even though when 2 different businesses settle in , they manage to become more successful )
correct me please
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
D

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2019, 04:14
sayan640 wrote:
VeritasKarishma
GMATNinja
mikemcgarry

(B) is certainly not a flaw in the argument. If the two businesses are significantly different but both prospered at the same location, it does seem to say a great deal about the quality of that location. It does seem to say that businesses of various kinds may succeed at that location.

But I have doubts in (A) and (E) too.

(A) does sound reasonable. Just because the cafe's business has dropped a year after moving, it doesn't mean the location is to blame. Perhaps the chef has changed or facilities have deteriorated or any other reason. Success of a business does depend on many factors and the argument fails to consider that.

(E) on the other hand, sounds questionable - a business strategy for a cafe which does not aim at maximising volume. One would argue that the aim may be to maximise profit but if the cafe had been running at higher volumes earlier, a dip in volume certainly doesn't sound like strategy. But a case could be made either way.

I find it a little less reassuring when the source of the question is not known. Previously, I asked the OP about the source of the questions he/she puts up but never got a straight reply. In future, I will avoid spending time on questions whose source is not known.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2019, 16:29
VeritasKarishma wrote:
sayan640 wrote:
VeritasKarishma
GMATNinja
mikemcgarry

(B) is certainly not a flaw in the argument. If the two businesses are significantly different but both prospered at the same location, it does seem to say a great deal about the quality of that location. It does seem to say that businesses of various kinds may succeed at that location.

But I have doubts in (A) and (E) too.

(A) does sound reasonable. Just because the cafe's business has dropped a year after moving, it doesn't mean the location is to blame. Perhaps the chef has changed or facilities have deteriorated or any other reason. Success of a business does depend on many factors and the argument fails to consider that.

(E) on the other hand, sounds questionable - a business strategy for a cafe which does not aim at maximising volume. One would argue that the aim may be to maximise profit but if the cafe had been running at higher volumes earlier, a dip in volume certainly doesn't sound like strategy. But a case could be made either way.

I find it a little less reassuring when the source of the question is not known. Previously, I asked the OP about the source of the questions he/she puts up but never got a straight reply. In future, I will avoid spending time on questions whose source is not known.

Thanks VeritasKarishma
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Aquatic Plumbing Supply recently opened a wholesale outlet in the loca   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2019, 16:29

Aquatic Plumbing Supply recently opened a wholesale outlet in the loca

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap