Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Operation, Supply Chain, Product Management
Schools:MIT Sloan 2012
Send PM
Re: Are Kaplan CAT exams... [#permalink]
I scored from 620 to 710 on my Kaplan CATS but on real GMAT I got 640

Kaplan Quant is easier than real GMAT
Kaplan RC is way harder than real GMAT
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
I agree with all these observations. I only get 3-4 wrong on the quant part of the exam but on the verbal I'd usually get about 1/3 wrong, which is odd since my verbal is usually better than quant on the GMATPrep. Kaplans's verbal questions are just different from the real thing.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I have been hearing this as well, but no one was able to ever get a confirmation from Kaplan. I will ask again because it is a pretty important issue.

It used to be that Kaplan was harder, but looks like the scoring system has been changed or revised to be adaptive. I never got more than 640 on my Kaplan tests.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q42  V40
GPA: 3.35
WE 1: IT Business Analyst-Building Materials Industry
Send PM
I have Kaplan Premier 2008, is everyone referring to the 2009 edition of the Kaplan books?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
jzd wrote:
I scored from 620 to 710 on my Kaplan CATS but on real GMAT I got 640

Kaplan Quant is easier than real GMAT
Kaplan RC is way harder than real GMAT

This was actually my experience. I had the worst quant timing since I scored a 510 on my first CAT. I think I actually did a good job answering the questions correctly for the most part since I guessed so much at the end and still got an ok 44. Now verbal, I thought that the reading comp was just a piece of cake. Both the questions and the actual passages. I had the best timing in verbal that I've ever had as a result. RC is what takes up the most time. I had 3 minutes left when I finished that section (for some people that's nothing, not for me).

The scoring is very stingy also for Kaplan. I had 2 scores where I had a 710. The splits were Q47 and V45 and Q48 and V45. With my experience with GMAT scores around here, I feel comfortable saying that those scores would be higher on the real thing.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Concentration: Operation, Supply Chain, Product Management
Schools:MIT Sloan 2012
Send PM
My problem with Kaplan CAT was not as much as with its scoring. Yes, the low scores I got on Kaplan CATS were demoralizing and not-confidence-building.

I have a bigger problem with how verbal RC are so unnecessarily hard and long, where I was completely stumped. And Quant does not reflect real GMAT hurts too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
I totally agree. Kaplan scores are kinda off. I got the following

Kaplan 1 610
GmatPrep 1 560
Mgmat 1 610
Kaplan 2 690 Q52 V 31 (finished quant 15 min early)
Mgmat 2 660
Kaplan 3 690 Q52 V 30 (finished quant 10 min early)
mgmat 3 610 (was hungover)
Kaplan 4 650 Q 47 V 31 (ran out of time on Q because I was taking my own sweet time, thinking I will have time at the end)
mgmat 4 700
gmatprep 2 710
Kaplan 5 700 Q 53 V 32 (finished quant on time but was super easy)

I dont think its even possible to get 53 in real test.

However this score is also similar to my other mgmat and gmatprep score. So although scoring is off (Q easy and V hard), I think the total score balance it out. Also I find mgmat quant tough and too many layers to solve any problems. I have 95% correct rate with OG but with mgmat I am at level 49.

But I agree that kaplan tests are no longer harder. My husband who scored 750 in real test never got more than 650 in Kaplan (4 years ago). So definitely they have made some changes to their test.

I also think their verbal is kinda off, specially CR.
I am giving the test on Dec 7th. I will share my experience. Hopefully, it will be a good one.

Good luck all you people.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I agree with the observations that you guys have shared about Kaplan CAT.

I have taken three tests so far.
Quant is a tad easy. More questions on Number Properties, Percents, Fractions. You,ll find very little questions to no questions on Probability and PandC in Kaplan CAT Quant.

Verbal is tough. RCs are long and challenging. SC and CR not gmat representative.

Overall, these tests cannot be written off. I find Quants is really good if you are not already in 650 - 700 league. If you are in 500 - 650 range, solving these Quants and analyzing your mistakes can fill certain weak areas especially areas on Percents, Fractions, Number Properties, VICs, Geometry and DS type questions. Kaplan CAT can give you a good foundation on these that when you graduate to take MGMAT or GPREP, you shud be able to ease thru these type of questions.

Forget the final score, see the number of rights and wrongs you have got, you shud be faily able to guess where you stand.

To dispell the myth, let me repeat what others have said above. Kaplan CATs are not tough anymore. Dont go by this "you can safely add 70 - 100+ to your Kaplan CAT score" . Its not the case anymore.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I also find Kaplan CAT quant part easier. I scored Q54 on Kaplan CAT 2. I don't think that is realistic. I'm scoring horribly on Kaplan verbal. I also believe that verbal is harder than actual and might not be that representative of the actual verbal questions.

My results so far:
Kaplan diagnostic: 660
Kaplan CAT 1 : 640 (45, 30)
Kaplan CAT 2 : 710 (54, 32)
Kaplan CAT 3 : 680 (50, 32)

GMAT Prep CAT 1 700 (both quant/verbal in 40's, do not recall the split, will post later)

I definitely feel more confident with quant than with verbal. I'm not sure if I should proceed with Kaplan verbal practice materials. Any thoughts?

Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Send PM
agnese, the exams are still worthwhile to take. This concensus is that RC is a lot harder than the real thing, so you shouldn't get too dejected if you're not doing too well. However, I think you should still take them to practice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M$)
Send PM
Guys, something is wrong with Kaplan. I am using the CAT tests from 2011 Premier and it looks like the tests were created in 2007.
Now... compare these:
Kaplan CAT1 - 700
Kaplan CAT2 - 630
Kaplan CAT3 - 800 (the only time in life when I ever saw and will see 800 :)

GmatPrep - 750

MGMAT CATs - 650, 680, 700, 660, 650, 730
===
It looks like Kaplan's CAT are very inconsistent in scoring
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: Finance / Management
 Q48  V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Vorskl wrote:
Guys, something is wrong with Kaplan. I am using the CAT tests from 2011 Premier and it looks like the tests were created in 2007.
Now... compare these:
Kaplan CAT1 - 700
Kaplan CAT2 - 630
Kaplan CAT3 - 800 (the only time in life when I ever saw and will see 800 :)

GmatPrep - 750

MGMAT CATs - 650, 680, 700, 660, 650, 730
===
It looks like Kaplan's CAT are very inconsistent in scoring

this looks really really strange -_-
i averaged in kaplan ~ 620, gmatprep ~ 700, first mgmat cat was a 710 .. dont know what kaplans doing, but i'd assume mgmat is more in line with gmac!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: Finance / Management
 Q48  V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
just another kaplan cd cat result!

quant 36 .. last 20 answers -> 18 crct! all in all 23 correct! strange score ..

verbal 33 .. first 20 questions -> 19 correct! guessed rest because kaplan verbal is getting on my nerves .. strange RC -> ~ 3/4 thereof wrong!

all in all 580 (think with accomp the verbal proper -> 630/640 :) compared to last mgmat cat (710) really funny .. strange scoring algorithm ..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
Please advice:

I took Kaplan CAT 1 a week ago and scored 580( quant 50-6 mistakes, verbal-28-20 mistakes)

Today, i tool Kaplan CAT 2 and scored 610( quant 50-3 mistakes, verbal-32-15 mistakes)

Don't understand the logic of scoring, quant 50 and verbal 32 gets you close to 680 if you check 800 score etc

and how can both 6 mistakes and 3 mistakes get you 50, i thought 3 mistakes should be a clear 51
GMAT Club Bot