Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V800
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Are prep courses very effective? [#permalink]
rasta wrote:
sapphire07 wrote:
I'm seriously debating whether or not to take a prep course. I was going to apply to programs this winter, but I ended up scoring much lower on my actual GMAT exam than my diagnostic! I was going to cram with self-study for the next few weeks and take the test in January, but I'm thinking it may instead be better to study seriously for a few months. I want to achieve a score over 700.

I would love to hear feedback about study methods and prep courses, including what you have found to be most effective. I don't mind paying a few thousand for the prep course, but only if it's actually going to help me increase my score more than self-study would.

Thanks in advance!!

How much were you scoring in your diagnostic/ practice CATs? If you were already in the 670+ range, then there might not be much need for prep courses. You could easily work your way towards a 700. However, if you tend to procrastinate, then enrolling in a prep course would be advisable. Make sure try out a class before paying up. As for the type of prep, I believe that a couple of months of solid, balanced prep is better than a gung-ho 2-4 weeks of trying to cover as much as possible.

You might want to take a look at the GMAT Prep Course Reviews and Study Plans

Thanks for the advice! I actually scored 630, then 600, then even lower! My score seemed to be decreasing the more I studied. However, I was only doing practice math problems out of the OG. I've since purchased the 8 MGMAT strategy guides.
I'm trying to decide if a class will help me improve my score more than self-study. I would like to take the test for a second time within the next few months.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
What type of course are you thinking about? in person or live online or on demand?

I'm trying to find out which type of course people have found to be most effective. I'm open to any type of course through whichever company. Thus far, I've heard good things about the MGMAT course (live).

I plan to take the test for a second time in the next few months. I want to score in the 700s, so I'd like to know if people have found that their scores improved more with classes, in addition to self-study.

I'd appreciate your suggestions! Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot