GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 Apr 2018, 23:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As a genre, hip-hop is vastly underrated. While critics are

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.09
As a genre, hip-hop is vastly underrated. While critics are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2012, 09:00
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (01:28) correct 45% (01:34) wrong based on 472 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

As a genre, hip-hop is vastly underrated. While critics are right to question the violent and sometimes racist content of many hip-hop lyrics, as well as the mediocrity of some popular hip-hop, the genre as a whole should not be dismissed as worthless just because portions of its subgenres are potentially offensive or sub-par. The whole should never be judged by just one of its parts.
The bolded phrases play which of the following roles in the passage above?
A. The first phrase contains a premise supporting the author’s conclusion, and the second phrase contradicts that conclusion
B. The first phrase is a reply to an argument, and the second phrase is the author’s conclusion.
C. The first phrase is the author’s conclusion, and the second phrase contains support for a premise.
D. The first phrase is an analogy supporting a premise, and the second phrase is that premise
E. The first phrase is an opinion, while the second phrase contains an unrelated conclusion.

can somebody explain me the options ?? I cant seem to understand them.
Thanks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

\sqrt{[square_root][square_root][square_root][square_root][square_root]}[/square_root][/square_root][/square_root][/square_root][/square_root]????????

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.09
Re: Help needed to solve this question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2012, 09:05
Actually I have just started my preparations for GMAT so it would also be helpful if you can refer me to some book/notes which contain explanations for the above terms

\sqrt{[square_root][square_root][square_root][square_root][square_root]}[/square_root][/square_root][/square_root][/square_root][/square_root]????????

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Kaplan GMAT Instructor

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2012, 10:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi manimani,

Congratulations on starting your GMAT prep!

The "conclusion" of the argument is the author's main point. You can identify it by keywords such as "therefore" or "thus," or by identifying a major opinion advanced by the author. In this case, the first sentence, that Hip-Hop is underrated, is the author's conclusion.

"Evidence", also known as "premises", are any and all points the author offers to support his or her conclusion. These are often data, facts, and numbers, but not necessarily. In this case, the last sentence justifies his conclusion that Hip-Hop is underrated: the reason he thinks so is that people judge hip-hop based on it's poor-quality parts, but you can't just a whole by just certain parts.

For that reason, (C) is correct.

There are plenty of ways to get more practice. The opening thread in this forum links to several free guides. Kaplan GMAT Premier has a comprehensive method and breakdown of question types. And, Kaplan's blog has lots of CR tips to help you out.

Good luck on your prep, and keep posting good questions!

Regards,

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2012, 10:45
+1 for C
The arguments starts with the conclusion and progresses that why the conclusion is stated , also he is giving his opinion in a premise about the conclusion that why the conclusion should not be generalize and hence hip-hop should not be dismissed ,and adds support to the premise for the same.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2012, 11:18
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Dear Manimani,

If you are looking for help on bold face section, then I recommend that you take our free trial. The entire Bold face concept and application file are available free of charge. You would also get a very nice explanation of the terms such as prediction, opinion, evaluation, belief etc. with regards to when they can be used interchangeably. Click the link below to start the free trial.

https://e-gmat.com/secure/register_gc.php

Regards,

Rajat Sadana

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
Re: As a genre, hip-hop is vastly underrated. While critics are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2012, 05:31
Straight C.

First bolded is clearly author's conclusion. The second bolded provided some sort of support for the conclusion.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2012, 23:48
KapTeacherEli wrote:
Hi manimani,

The "conclusion" of the argument is the author's main point. You can identify it by keywords such as "therefore" or "thus," or by identifying a major opinion advanced by the author. In this case, the first sentence, that Hip-Hop is underrated, is the author's conclusion.

"Evidence", also known as "premises", are any and all points the author offers to support his or her conclusion. These are often data, facts, and numbers, but not necessarily. In this case, the last sentence justifies his conclusion that Hip-Hop is underrated: the reason he thinks so is that people judge hip-hop based on it's poor-quality parts, but you can't just a whole by just certain parts.

There are plenty of ways to get more practice. The opening thread in this forum links to several free guides. Kaplan GMAT Premier has a comprehensive method and breakdown of question types. And, Kaplan's blog has lots of CR tips to help you out.

Regards,

Hi,

I got this question right.
But generally i dont get bold face questions correct. Can you please tell me the rules and tricks to get the bold face questions correct ? I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Kaplan GMAT Instructor

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2012, 13:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Desperate123 wrote:
KapTeacherEli wrote:
Hi manimani,

Regards,

Hi,

I got this question right.
But generally i dont get bold face questions correct. Can you please tell me the rules and tricks to get the bold face questions correct ? I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

The trick is to start with the conclusion.

Every Bold Face argument will have one (or two, if two people are arguing!). Once you've spotted it, you can work backwards from there. Use keywords-- "thus, since, however, even though"--to figure out how each sentence relates back to the conclusion, whether it's supporting it, citing opposition to it, making conclusions that lead to it, providing examples of it, etc., etc. Once you know what all the lines of the argument do (and you SHOULD figure out all of them, not just the bold, to avoid trap choices!) you can predict the roles of the two bolded statements and pick the correct answer.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.85
WE: Sales (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2012, 14:05
This post was
BOOKMARKED
C

The first part is the conclusion and the second part is a subsidiary conclusion, which in this case works as a premise.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: ESADE '15 (A)

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2012, 07:20
This post received
KUDOS
manimani wrote:
As a genre, hip-hop is vastly underrated. While critics are right to question the violent and sometimes racist content of many hip-hop lyrics, as well as the mediocrity of some popular hip-hop, the genre as a whole should not be dismissed as worthless just because portions of its subgenres are potentially offensive or sub-par. The whole should never be judged by just one of its parts.
A. The first phrase contains a premise supporting the author’s conclusion, and the second phrase contradicts that conclusion
B. The first phrase is a reply to an argument, and the second phrase is the author’s conclusion.
C. The first phrase is the author’s conclusion, and the second phrase contains support for a premise.
D. The first phrase is an analogy supporting a premise, and the second phrase is that premise
E. The first phrase is an opinion, while the second phrase contains an unrelated conclusion.

Thanks

#1: The conclusion of the argument (A fact stated by the author)
Premise: The argument goes on explaining what are the bad cases in the HIP-HOP genre and why it should not be judged based on these sub-genres.
#2: Provides support of the premises stated above.

So now, we've got our anchors on the two boldface parts. #1 is conclusion and #2 supports the premises.
Answer choice C is a perfect fit.

Learn to walk before you run.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2013, 10:04
This post received
KUDOS
manimani wrote:

Thanks

The most important part of this question is to find the conclusion. Check this out, we have an intermediate conclusion which will act as a premise and a real conclusion or final conclusion which is the conclusion we are most familiarized with.

1) Is it Hip hop is underrated because the whole should never be judged by just one of its parts? or
2) The whole should never be judged by just one of its parts because Hip Hop is underrated?

I think 1 sounds pretty nice here, so this is our conclusion

Cheers
J :)
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2017, 19:24
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: As a genre, hip-hop is vastly underrated. While critics are   [#permalink] 29 Dec 2017, 19:24

As a genre, hip-hop is vastly underrated. While critics are

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap