GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 09:24

Gmatbusters' Weekly Quant Quiz

Join here 


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

     November 18, 2018

     November 18, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score. November 18th, 7 AM PST
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.

As media exposure increased for the Jersey Shore in the last

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 2273
Location: New York, NY
As media exposure increased for the Jersey Shore in the last  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2013, 18:25
1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

77% (01:37) correct 23% (02:03) wrong based on 212 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

As media exposure increased for the Jersey Shore in the last 5 years, the annual number of people visiting the shore increased each year. Over the same period, however, the number of people getting sun burns from suntanning decreased, even though there was no reduction in the number of people suntanning on the beach each day. Further, the number of sunny days and the UV (Ultraviolet) Index actually increased.

Which of the following, if true for the Jersey Shore over the last 5 years, most helps to explain the decrease?

(A) Sunburns are most likely to happen when beach go-ers suntan for consecutive sunny days at the beach.

(B) Sunburns severely damage at least several people's skin each year at the Jersey Shore (hyperpigmentation, discoloration and burned patches of skin)

(C) People going to the Jersey Shore used suntan lotion with increasing levels of UV protection and monitored UV levels to help determine what times during the day were most suitable for being in the sun.

(D) The average length of stay for people visiting the Jersey Shore increased slightly.

(E) Construction of new shops, malls, and casinos by the Jersey shore helped attract visitors to go indoors rather than stay outdoors.

original source: GMAT Pill
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 115
Premium Member
Re: Jersey Shore  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2013, 18:40
C looks best .gives us a reason as why the number of people suffering sunburns will decrease although the number of people visiting the shore has increased
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 1028
Location: United States
Premium Member
Re: Jersey Shore  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2013, 23:00
IMO, C is correct.

Although there was no reduction in the number of people suntanning on the beach each day, the number of people getting sun burns from suntanning will decrease if these people are protected from sun burns or they go to the beach at a suitable time. C is correct.
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Mar 2013
Posts: 4
Re: Jersey Shore  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2013, 04:55
pqhai wrote:
IMO, C is correct.

Although there was no reduction in the number of people suntanning on the beach each day, the number of people getting sun burns from suntanning will decrease if these people are protected from sun burns or they go to the beach at a suitable time. C is correct.




Hi pqhai,

C can be the ans but does not give us the info that earlier they did not do what they did now (used suntan lotion with increasing levels of UV protection and monitored UV levels to help determine what times during the day )

whereas E clearly mentions a reason why the number with suntanning has decreased :go indoors rather than stay outdoors


Your thoughts pls?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 280
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Re: Jersey Shore  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2013, 05:14
2
Hi Himus,

The issue with E is that it contradicts with a sentence in the main paragraph:

even though there was no reduction in the number of people suntanning on the beach each day.

Which means that the new shops have not had any impact on the number of people on the beach.

We are looking for something that means that the number of sun burn cases has gone down, whilst the number of people has gone up/stayed the same...
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Jan 2016
Posts: 17
GMAT ToolKit User
As media exposure increased for the Jersey Shore in the last  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2016, 14:16
plumber250 wrote:
Hi Himus,

The issue with E is that it contradicts with a sentence in the main paragraph:

even though there was no reduction in the number of people suntanning on the beach each day.

Which means that the new shops have not had any impact on the number of people on the beach.

We are looking for something that means that the number of sun burn cases has gone down, whilst the number of people has gone up/stayed the same...


I chose E, because I reasoned in the following way.

Because of the new attractions in Jersey shore, people did not spend as much time suntanning on the beach as they used to do earlier. Therefore the incidences of Sunburns have decreased.

Can experts please help me understand what was wrong with my reasoning?

Thanks in Advance!!
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2990
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
As media exposure increased for the Jersey Shore in the last  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2016, 09:44
badboson wrote:
plumber250 wrote:
Hi Himus,

The issue with E is that it contradicts with a sentence in the main paragraph:

even though there was no reduction in the number of people suntanning on the beach each day.

Which means that the new shops have not had any impact on the number of people on the beach.

We are looking for something that means that the number of sun burn cases has gone down, whilst the number of people has gone up/stayed the same...


I chose E, because I reasoned in the following way.

Because of the new attractions in Jersey shore, people did not spend as much time suntanning on the beach as they used to do earlier. Therefore the incidences of Sunburns have decreased.

Can experts please help me understand what was wrong with my reasoning?

Thanks in Advance!!


Your argument is valid. E can definitely be an explanation. However option C is a more direct explanation, whereas for E, a small assumption needs to be taken (that the visitors spent less time outdoors). In absence of C, E would be the best answer.
Retired Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 04 Aug 2016
Posts: 508
Location: India
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member
Re: As media exposure increased for the Jersey Shore in the last  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2016, 10:19
Looking for an explanation as to why sun burns decreased "even though there was no reduction in the number of people suntanning on the beach each day"

Reason is C.

E doesn't justify the premise in the argument --> "even though there was no reduction in the number of people suntanning on the beach each day"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 379
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: As media exposure increased for the Jersey Shore in the last  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 16:59
sayantanc2k wrote:
badboson wrote:
plumber250 wrote:
Hi Himus,

The issue with E is that it contradicts with a sentence in the main paragraph:

even though there was no reduction in the number of people suntanning on the beach each day.

Which means that the new shops have not had any impact on the number of people on the beach.

We are looking for something that means that the number of sun burn cases has gone down, whilst the number of people has gone up/stayed the same...


I chose E, because I reasoned in the following way.

Because of the new attractions in Jersey shore, people did not spend as much time suntanning on the beach as they used to do earlier. Therefore the incidences of Sunburns have decreased.

Can experts please help me understand what was wrong with my reasoning?

Thanks in Advance!!


Your argument is valid. E can definitely be an explanation. However option C is a more direct explanation, whereas for E, a small assumption needs to be taken (that the visitors spent less time outdoors). In absence of C, E would be the best answer.


sayantanc2k, Could you advise how e is weakening. It is clearly mentioned in argument that there is no reduction in the number of people suntanning on beach each day.

From Argument:- "even though there was no reduction in the number of people suntanning on the beach each day"

Thanks,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 379
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: As media exposure increased for the Jersey Shore in the last  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 17:08
sayantanc2k,
My Question why A is wrong.
Option says "Sunburns are most likely to happen when beach go-ers suntan for consecutive sunny days at the beach". Cant we assume that earlier people used to on consecutive days but now they don't go on consecutive days so they don't get tanned.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: As media exposure increased for the Jersey Shore in the last &nbs [#permalink] 11 Jul 2018, 17:08
Display posts from previous: Sort by

As media exposure increased for the Jersey Shore in the last

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.