GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Nov 2018, 14:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

08:00 PM MST

09:00 PM MST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

As part of major renovations to Flowertown's Main Street

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member
As part of major renovations to Flowertown's Main Street  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Jun 2018, 23:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (00:58) correct 20% (01:12) wrong based on 1040 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

As part of major renovations to Flowertown's Main Street train station, consultants to the train company proposed moving the station's entrance from its current valuable Main Street location to a low-rent adjoining side street and then leasing the high-rent entrance space to retail businesses. In that way, the train company could easily pay for those and all other proposed renovations without negative impact on its tight budget.
Which of the following, if true, would most strongly support the consultants' proposal?

(A) More train commuters are employed in businesses located on Main Street than in businesses located on the adjoining side street.

(B) A reliable survey of Flowertown's commuters showed that virtually none of them would use the train any less frequently if the station's entrance were moved.

(C) The high-rent block of Flowertown's Main Street includes several buildings whose owners currently seek to replace long-standing tenants lost in recent months.

(D) If the station's entrance were moved, the train company would need to begin costly renovations to its Main Street entrance space.

(E) Ridership on Flowertown trains declined only slightly from 1970 to 1985 while other train companies lost large numbers of commuters.

Amittedly, I love the way GMAC makes its reasoning. I found it very interesting. Post here for discussion.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Originally posted by sondenso on 06 May 2008, 20:28.
Last edited by hazelnut on 05 Jun 2018, 23:23, edited 2 times in total.
OA added
Director
Director
Re: As part of major renovations to Flowertown's Main Street  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2008, 00:14
B for me

The train company's shift in the entrance should not impact the revenues and revenues are directly dependent on the commuters. Thus if the change does not impact the # of commuters negatively. thus the revenue would be revenue through rent of the main street space + the non-impacted revenue thru commuters

(A) More train commuters are employed in businesses located on Main Street than in businesses located on the adjoining side street.

(B) A reliable survey of Flowertown's commuters showed that virtually none of them would use the train any less frequently if the station's entrance were moved.

(C) The high-rent block of Flowertown's Main Street includes several buildings whose owners currently seek to replace long-standing tenants lost in recent months.-> this weakens the conclusion by creating competition

(D) If the station's entrance were moved, the train company would need to begin costly renovations to its Main Street entrance space.-> if change calls for costly renovation it weakens the conclusion that says "tight budget"

(E) Ridership on Flowertown trains declined only slightly from 1970 to 1985 while other train companies lost large numbers of commuters.- irrelevant
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2008, 01:53
sondenso wrote:
As part of major renovations to Flowertown's Main Street train station, consultants to the train company proposed moving the station's entrance from its current valuable Main Street location to a low-rent adjoining side street and then leasing the high-rent entrance space to retail businesses. In that way, the train company could easily pay for those and all other proposed renovations without negative impact on its tight budget.
Which of the following, if true, would most strongly support the consultants' proposal?

(A) More train commuters are employed in businesses located on Main Street than in businesses located on the adjoining side street. Weakens(B) A reliable survey of Flowertown's commuters showed that virtually none of them would use the train any less frequently if the station's entrance were moved. Supports- correct
(C) The high-rent block of Flowertown's Main Street includes several buildings whose owners currently seek to replace long-standing tenants lost in recent months. irrelevant
(D) If the station's entrance were moved, the train company would need to begin costly renovations to its Main Street entrance space. this cost can be recovered
(E) Ridership on Flowertown trains declined only slightly from 1970 to 1985 while other train companies lost large numbers of commuters. irrelevant

Amittedly, I love the way GMAC makes its reasoning. I found it very interesting. Post here for discussion.
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2008, 03:43
id go with B as well. To support the argument, as I was reading the stem, I was looking for something to do with the fact that ridership would stay about the same.

In order for the consultants proposal to work, the train company would still have to make money from its riders. B says that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2008, 05:23
I agree with B as well.

Conclusion:
In that way, the train company could easily pay for those and all other proposed renovations without negative impact on its tight budget.

Moving the train station will allow for construction without decreasing the budget.

We need proof that the move will not decrease the budget.

Even if they move the same number of people will still ride the train.
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2008, 06:02
sondenso wrote:

(C) The high-rent block of Flowertown's Main Street includes several buildings whose owners currently seek to replace long-standing tenants lost in recent months.
(D) If the station's entrance were moved, the train company would need to begin costly renovations to its Main Street entrance space.
(E) Ridership on Flowertown trains declined only slightly from 1970 to 1985 while other train companies lost large numbers of commuters.

Surely B...
The relocation of entrance must not affect train system revenue...
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2008, 18:31
Sure, B is OA

Interesting! right? :lol:

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2008, 18:53
For sure "B" because it clearly says, the existing commuters will not drop after the entrance is shifted. In short the revenue from the commuters wont decrease because of this change.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 05:51
A strengthener choice needs to bring additional information that is not stated in the argument and that strengthens the conclusion.
The argument already says that leasing the high-rent space to retail business could easily allow them to pay for the proposed renovations, WITHOUT any negative impact on the budget.

(C) stating that owners seeking to replace long lost tenants doesn't any more strengthen the argument than already stated in the argument. It doesn't add any relevance to the info provided in the argument, either in terms of capital or increased business or anything else.
(B) on the other hand says that there will be no negative impact on the budget if the renovations are made. Any potential negative impact (in terms of lost passenger's revenue) could deter the profits made by renting the costly space. So (B) is a winner.
Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 10:45
yes its an interesting question which looks more like a real world
problem but the gmat can trick us using shell game in this type of questions so
never forget that real world rules dont work in gmat,, :evil:

just one more month for exam...

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2013, 21:47
Indeed a very tricky question Great Explanations!

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2013, 22:18

(A) More train commuters are employed in businesses located on Main Street than in businesses located on the adjoining side street.Weakner: This option hints that no. of commuters may decrease as per consultants' proposal
(B) A reliable survey of Flowertown's commuters showed that virtually none of them would use the train any less frequently if the station's entrance were moved. No negative impact on the existing revenues (i.e. coming from existing number of commuters)

(C) The high-rent block of Flowertown's Main Street includes several buildings whose owners currently seek to replace long-standing tenants lost in recent months. OFS
(D) If the station's entrance were moved, the train company would need to begin costly renovations to its Main Street entrance space. weakner. It may have negative impact on the budget
(E) Ridership on Flowertown trains declined only slightly from 1970 to 1985 while other train companies lost large numbers of commuters. OFS

Good Question.

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Other
GMAT Date: 07-31-2014
GPA: 3.99
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2014, 02:57
B is clear that the revenue from the passengers won't decrease. This is what I was looking for. Correct choice.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2014, 06:36
mod please add the OA to the question :)
Manager
Manager
B
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2016, 00:29
sondenso wrote:

(A) More train commuters are employed in businesses located on Main Street than in businesses located on the adjoining side street. weakens
(B) A reliable survey of Flowertown's commuters showed that virtually none of them would use the train any less frequently if the station's entrance were moved.similar to our assumption, lets keep it
(C) The high-rent block of Flowertown's Main Street includes several buildings whose owners currently seek to replace long-standing tenants lost in recent months.I think we should limit ourselves to train station building and consumers.
(D) If the station's entrance were moved, the train company would need to begin costly renovations to its Main Street entrance space.weakens
(E) Ridership on Flowertown trains declined only slightly from 1970 to 1985 while other train companies lost large numbers of commuters. out of context

Assumption: train company assumes that if it moves its entrance from one location to another, commutators will have no issue and they will continue travelling with trains.
Current Student
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 06:45
S (Strengthen): Conclusion Shifting entrance will generate enough money to pay for renovations
Missing info : Will consultant’s recommendation have any undesirable impact.
If yes, conclusion will NOT be strengthened.
If no, the conclusion will be strengthened.

Irrelevant : Where commuters are employed does not matter here.

Correct. This option eliminate a possible negative effect of consultant’s recommendation

At the most, this option says that the recommendation may not have a desired effect as other high rent spaces in the locality are on lease and hence the train station’s space may or may not find a taker.

Again, it says that to implement the recommendation, the train station will need extra money and thus possibly weaken the argument.

Irrelevant, as the option does not specify the reason for less decline in the ridership

Take away:
Let’s say X (rents from leasing) & Y (train commuters) form Z (revenues), and p (recommendation of the consultant) affects X.
Then always look for effects of P on Y.

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2018, 19:20
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: As part of major renovations to Flowertown's Main Street &nbs [#permalink] 29 Oct 2018, 19:20

As part of major renovations to Flowertown's Main Street

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap