GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 28 Mar 2020, 10:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ask MBAPrepCoach: 2+2 Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
INSEAD School Moderator
V
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Ask MBAPrepCoach: 2+2 Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2020, 20:47
Hello, I would be happy to review your profile for HBS 2+2 program, applications due on April 2 at noon ET.
Please include the following for best accuracy:
  • internship and/or work experience
  • school, major, GPA
  • test scores, GMAT or GRE
  • language test scores
  • country of citizenship
  • international exposure and languages
  • all leadership experience, duration and role
  • all community involvement
  • goals
  • unique background factors
  • other diversity factors
  • any other special or relevant info (special sauce)
  • your best guess at what you will discuss in your main essay

Intern
B
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Re: Ask MBAPrepCoach: 2+2 Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2020, 20:52
Hi Farrel MBAPrepCoach,

I am a 22-year-old Australian about to begin my final year of undergraduate studies with the intention to complete an MBA through Harvard's 2+2 program in 2021. I believe that my GMAT score and essay(s) will ‘make or break’ my application. Can you provide some feedback on my profile and advise an appropriate GMAT score to target for Harvard. My current train of thought is minimum --> 710, target --> 730, dream --> 750.

(1) BACKGROUND

Work experience:

• Big 3 German automotive manufacturer (Volkswagen, BMW, Mercedes)

6-month internship in Germany

• Prestigious boutique German automotive manufacturer

14-month internship + thesis in Germany.

Only (possibly first) non-EU resident at the company

Extra curriculars:

• Founding president of the mechanical engineering student association

200+ members in six months

Organised an on-campus industry expo with 30+ companies and 1100 student registrations

Company Q&As, industry visits, skill workshops, etc.

• Elected undergraduate representative of 12,000+ students on the school’s academic board

Hold monthly academic board meetings with the pro-vice chancellor and other high-ranking school officials. The academic board establishes the structure of academic programs and discusses school matters. There are a lot of NDAs!

• In2Science mentor

Mentor a classroom of low socioeconomic high school students to increase their engagement, confidence, and aspirations in STEM.

• Student-Staff consulting representative

Consult with my peers to identify program-related opportunities for improvement and present those issues at student-staff meetings.

• Entrepreneurship club

Committee member

• Founded a side-business on a shoestring budget

• Very early stage NPO start-up

• Golden Key International Honour Society

• Formula SAE

Undergrad school/major:

• Location - Australia

• QS 250, QS Engineering 100

• Mechanical Engineering (Honours) | Business Management

Will graduate with two degrees.

Received several awards.

Featured on university promotional material.

• December 2020 graduation date

Other education/coursework:

• Certificate III in Music Industry

Race/nationality:

• White

• Australian

Sex:

• Male

(2) STATS

Cold GMAT Scores:

• MGMAT#1 620 (Q40 V35)

Taken 23/12/2019

• GMATPrep#1 530 (Q32 V32)

Taken 26/12/2019

• Potential test dates: July 20’, December 20’, January 21’, February 21’

Undergrad GPA:

• 4.0 / 4.0

6 subjects remaining.

(3) MBA INFO

Goal of MBA:

• [Short-term] To move away from traditional engineering roles and into management style roles particularly in NPO start-ups. By being accepted into a deferred program I will have the confidence after undergrad to take professional risks, whether that is to begin/grow a start-up or apply myself in a smaller boutique firm. Furthermore, I will have the support of the school’s network to help accelerate my professional progression in the period before matriculation.

• [Long-term] My longer-term vision is to make a positive impact in Australia. Currently Australia has a large dependence on its mining and farming exports however both industries are in decline which will ultimately damage the economy. The automotive industry was once in this position, unfortunately the industry succumbed to the downward trend and manufacturing has since been abandoned. My goal is to bring back the automotive industry to Australia in the form of renewable and sustainable practises thus contributing jobs, innovative technology, and pride to the country.

(4) OTHER

International exposure and languages:

• Two months in Tanzania

• Two years in Germany

Can speak German at an elementary workplace level which I learnt in my own time.

Matriculation:

• Aim to work for 3-4 years before matriculating

Assuming that I am accepted into a deferred program.

• Will be ~27 years old at time of matriculation

Essay discussion points:

• Aspirations to lead and make a positive impact.

Unfortunately Fortunately I have no ‘sob stories’.

• MBA goals

• Time spent in Germany

V

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2020, 21:07
Hi MBAaustralia I replied to you in the GSB forum. your profile is amazing on every level, quantitatively and qualitatively. I clicked on your links, great stuff. Please advance with confidence! You are competitive. However I do feel you need to clear 710 as you mentioned and I would be a lot more comfortable with 720 because white male. I encourage you to reach out to me at info@mbaprepcoach.com if you want more detailed feedback privately.
MBAaustralia wrote:
Hi Farrel MBAPrepCoach,

I am a 22-year-old Australian about to begin my final year of undergraduate studies with the intention to complete an MBA through Harvard's 2+2 program in 2021. I believe that my GMAT score and essay(s) will ‘make or break’ my application. Can you provide some feedback on my profile and advise an appropriate GMAT score to target for Harvard. My current train of thought is minimum --> 710, target --> 730, dream --> 750.

(1) BACKGROUND

Work experience:

• Big 3 German automotive manufacturer (Volkswagen, BMW, Mercedes)

6-month internship in Germany

• Prestigious boutique German automotive manufacturer

14-month internship + thesis in Germany.

Only (possibly first) non-EU resident at the company

Extra curriculars:

• Founding president of the mechanical engineering student association

200+ members in six months

Organised an on-campus industry expo with 30+ companies and 1100 student registrations

Company Q&As, industry visits, skill workshops, etc.

• Elected undergraduate representative of 12,000+ students on the school’s academic board

Hold monthly academic board meetings with the pro-vice chancellor and other high-ranking school officials. The academic board establishes the structure of academic programs and discusses school matters. There are a lot of NDAs!

• In2Science mentor

Mentor a classroom of low socioeconomic high school students to increase their engagement, confidence, and aspirations in STEM.

• Student-Staff consulting representative

Consult with my peers to identify program-related opportunities for improvement and present those issues at student-staff meetings.

• Entrepreneurship club

Committee member

• Founded a side-business on a shoestring budget

• Very early stage NPO start-up

• Golden Key International Honour Society

• Formula SAE

Undergrad school/major:

• Location - Australia

• QS 250, QS Engineering 100

• Mechanical Engineering (Honours) | Business Management

Will graduate with two degrees.

Received several awards.

Featured on university promotional material.

• December 2020 graduation date

Other education/coursework:

• Certificate III in Music Industry

Race/nationality:

• White

• Australian

Sex:

• Male

(2) STATS

Cold GMAT Scores:

• MGMAT#1 620 (Q40 V35)

Taken 23/12/2019

• GMATPrep#1 530 (Q32 V32)

Taken 26/12/2019

• Potential test dates: July 20’, December 20’, January 21’, February 21’

Undergrad GPA:

• 4.0 / 4.0

6 subjects remaining.

(3) MBA INFO

Goal of MBA:

• [Short-term] To move away from traditional engineering roles and into management style roles particularly in NPO start-ups. By being accepted into a deferred program I will have the confidence after undergrad to take professional risks, whether that is to begin/grow a start-up or apply myself in a smaller boutique firm. Furthermore, I will have the support of the school’s network to help accelerate my professional progression in the period before matriculation.

• [Long-term] My longer-term vision is to make a positive impact in Australia. Currently Australia has a large dependence on its mining and farming exports however both industries are in decline which will ultimately damage the economy. The automotive industry was once in this position, unfortunately the industry succumbed to the downward trend and manufacturing has since been abandoned. My goal is to bring back the automotive industry to Australia in the form of renewable and sustainable practises thus contributing jobs, innovative technology, and pride to the country.

(4) OTHER

International exposure and languages:

• Two months in Tanzania

• Two years in Germany

Can speak German at an elementary workplace level which I learnt in my own time.

Matriculation:

• Aim to work for 3-4 years before matriculating

Assuming that I am accepted into a deferred program.

• Will be ~27 years old at time of matriculation

Essay discussion points:

• Aspirations to lead and make a positive impact.

Unfortunately Fortunately I have no ‘sob stories’.

• MBA goals

• Time spent in Germany

Intern
B
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Ask MBAPrepCoach: 2+2 Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2020, 21:24
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Hi MBAaustralia I replied to you in the GSB forum. your profile is amazing on every level, quantitatively and qualitatively. I clicked on your links, great stuff. Please advance with confidence! You are competitive. However I do feel you need to clear 710 as you mentioned and I would be a lot more comfortable with 720 because white male. I encourage you to reach out to me at info@mbaprepcoach.com if you want more detailed feedback privately.

MBAPrepCoach wrote:
MBAaustralia you have a fantastic profile and I love that you have a longer-term economic vision for Australia. The GMAT you need is partly related to what else you have to offer but even more so, the competition. If there are a lot of other white Australians who apply this will have upward pressure on the GMAT required to beat them out. And the reverse.

So your achievements/insights/personal shiz is a big deal but for the GMAT "required" just want you to know that often relates to the competition in terms of citizenship (the #1 variable), ethnicity/race, gender, and the overall diversity of your background.

Of course the level of achievement will be incorporated into things; they will not compare you to someone who lacks similar qualifications, but do know almost everyone who applies to GSB deferred, 2+2 are pretty incredible as well.

I would agree with your breakdown; but to be honest as a white male really want you to clear 720 though to feel comfortable about your odds. Make sure to take mock GRE in case that comes out better.

Apologies I missed that notification in the Stanford thread!

Thank you for the feedback Farrell, I have only just started my GMAT prep, but it is interesting to learn about the comparison to different demographics. I will send a follow up email to the address provided.
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2020, 12:36
Background: Civil Engineering

Indian Male

Undergrad Information: 8.9/10 CGPA, Department Topper for Civil Engineering, Continuous 100% scholarship for all 4 years based on previous years performance.
The college is ranked 37 according to the government of India but it is one of the Top 5 private colleges in India. I chose it because of the scholarship and distance from my home.

GMAT: 710 (Q49 V38 AWA5 IR8) first attempt and 770 (Q50 V45 AWA5 IR8) on the second attempt 30 days later

Leadership: Have been actively involved in numerous activities on campus. Most notably I have worked for three years organising the annual Model United Nations Conference where I worked my way up to the position of Director-General with over 100 people working under me. At the same time, I have been actively participating in MUNs, Debates and Youth parliaments. I am also the president of the Entrepreneurship Club of the University and have organised multiple one of a kind events, interactions on campus, and helped a few entrepreneurs get in touch with investors. Also involved in the Student Chapters of multiple organizations in various capacities. I am one of two the elected class representatives for my batch.

Internships: I have interned in various roles like content writing and marketing but my summer internships have been in the Construction Industry. One at a local construction firm and one at the Project Management consultancy Colliers International ( does not hire undergrads for management positions generally). I used these to cement my disinterest in the construction Industry. I am planning to get an internship in the real estate sector from Feb 2020.

Outside of campus, I have also been involved in social work. I have worked for two years with an NGO working for the rights of women and children. Wrote and delivered modules on Child Sexual Abuse and awareness at various low-income schools to vulnerable kids

I have a non-profit in the works which is aimed at providing clean drinking water at construction sites to the labourers, especially children as they are more vulnerable to diseases. This was a problem I got to know the depth of while on my internships. I want to expand it to sanitation facilities and education at the site once it gains steam. I expect to be helping over 400 labourers at 3 constructions in the next 2 months.

Languages: Studied German for 3 years at University. Learning mandarin right now

I have completed my certifications in Lean Management and Lean Six Sigma from the British Standards Institute as well as many certifications in Data, Project Management and business from Coursera.

Post-MBA goals: Get into a REIT or a Real Estate focused PE Firm or in Investment Banking and then start my own eREIT back in India in the longer run.
INSEAD School Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2020, 23:48
yashbhati

First of all, please. Please accept my apologies for not replying earlier. This was during my MIT round 2 application phase, So I was not on GMAT Club hardly at all.

I'm not what sure what to say exactly but I'm very impressed with your profile. And I think what most impresses me, beyond the 770 obviously is that you're extremely well-rounded and that's a huge competitive advantage especially for Indians.

You're up against a lot of competition, but I think you can really set yourself apart by the amount of Entrepreneurship and problem-solving you've already demonstrated and the fact that you are extremely versatile.

Go for it, if you're interested in talking further, please feel free to email me your resume via my website.

yashbhati wrote:
Background: Civil Engineering

Indian Male

Undergrad Information: 8.9/10 CGPA, Department Topper for Civil Engineering, Continuous 100% scholarship for all 4 years based on previous years performance.
The college is ranked 37 according to the government of India but it is one of the Top 5 private colleges in India. I chose it because of the scholarship and distance from my home.

GMAT: 710 (Q49 V38 AWA5 IR8) first attempt and 770 (Q50 V45 AWA5 IR8) on the second attempt 30 days later

Leadership: Have been actively involved in numerous activities on campus. Most notably I have worked for three years organising the annual Model United Nations Conference where I worked my way up to the position of Director-General with over 100 people working under me. At the same time, I have been actively participating in MUNs, Debates and Youth parliaments. I am also the president of the Entrepreneurship Club of the University and have organised multiple one of a kind events, interactions on campus, and helped a few entrepreneurs get in touch with investors. Also involved in the Student Chapters of multiple organizations in various capacities. I am one of two the elected class representatives for my batch.

Internships: I have interned in various roles like content writing and marketing but my summer internships have been in the Construction Industry. One at a local construction firm and one at the Project Management consultancy Colliers International ( does not hire undergrads for management positions generally). I used these to cement my disinterest in the construction Industry. I am planning to get an internship in the real estate sector from Feb 2020.

Outside of campus, I have also been involved in social work. I have worked for two years with an NGO working for the rights of women and children. Wrote and delivered modules on Child Sexual Abuse and awareness at various low-income schools to vulnerable kids

I have a non-profit in the works which is aimed at providing clean drinking water at construction sites to the labourers, especially children as they are more vulnerable to diseases. This was a problem I got to know the depth of while on my internships. I want to expand it to sanitation facilities and education at the site once it gains steam. I expect to be helping over 400 labourers at 3 constructions in the next 2 months.

Languages: Studied German for 3 years at University. Learning mandarin right now

I have completed my certifications in Lean Management and Lean Six Sigma from the British Standards Institute as well as many certifications in Data, Project Management and business from Coursera.

Post-MBA goals: Get into a REIT or a Real Estate focused PE Firm or in Investment Banking and then start my own eREIT back in India in the longer run.

Posted from my mobile device
Re: Ask MBAPrepCoach: 2+2 Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 08 Feb 2020, 23:48

Ask MBAPrepCoach: 2+2 Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: wabo22