Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT Date: 04-16-2013
GPA: 3.65
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [0]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Asking for a genuine advice [#permalink]
arp3it wrote:
Dear Gmat Expert,

Please help me..My situation is as follows,

I took gmat for the first time on 16th april 2013 with minimal preparation and scored 440 (q44, v11, AWA 3.5, IR 4) as i am a non native english speaker, so i found a lot of difficulty in verbal section. Than i started studying an took several mock tests(Kaplan, manhattan) and was scoring between 620- 660 where verbal's score was fluctuating too much . Than i took gmat again in October 2013 and scored 530 (q 44, v 20, AWA 4, IR 4), i thought something went wrong when i have started verbal. After one month preparation i retook it and scored 560 ( q 47, v21, AWA 4.5, IR 5). Everytime when i started verbal section i was getting little bit nervous i don't know why and it affected my score. I joined kaplan but it was not that much helpful.

I am planning to take gmat for the last time as \(i gave up my job\) for this and i can't leave it at this stage. my question:-

1)If i will take gmat for the 4th time, score somewhere around 700, and apply to top bschools than 4 attempts will create problem in getting an admission?

Please suggest me a good study plan in which i can improve my verbal (Starting from basics) and score somewhere around 700's.

Thanks & Regards,

Few pointers:
1) Quitting your job -> Big risk -> That will make you more nervous while taking the test. It is just more pressure. Do think about it.
Personal Exp - Left job and took CAT and screwed.
2) I think you should definitely analyze the Mocks better. There might be timing issue. You might be taking more time than advised. Understand and mistakes and practice to get comfortable. Learning is not sufficient, try to apply.
3) Definitely take one of the GMAT prep mocks to monitor. It is closest to the GMAT actual exam. (personal opinion).

And above all. Believe in your self. You will do well. :-D
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V50
Send PM
Hi Arp3IT,

I understand where you are coming from as I have tutored a number of non-native english speakers. It isn't that their internal logic is faulty but the difficulty in quickly and precisely translating ideas in English. Most of the Verbal GMAT books out there do give a comprehensive list of rules to work by but are lacking in the grammatical overview of the language. Even american students' will come across exceptions to their common understanding but since they have a better intuitive grasp of the possibilities they can more easily incorporate it into their overall view. Of course non-native students do not have such an advantage and take each new rule as totally upending their previous conceptions.

My best advice for English fundamentals is to first purchase a grammar book geared towards native junior high school students. Also the Handbook of English Grammar and Usage by Mcgraw Hill.

as for RC and CR, where logical dynamic is really the most important aspect, practice rewriting the passages using your own words. Try to use 1/3 of the words that are in the actual passage. The goal is to summarize and synthesize.

thanks,

Clearmountain

www.clearmountainprep.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT Date: 04-16-2013
GPA: 3.65
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Thank you all for your advices.
I really appreciate each one of you for your valuable advice. I have started following them and day by day i am seeing myself improving on verbal and on quant.

Thank You again..
GMAT Club Bot