Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:18 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 700 Q40 V46
GPA: 3.24
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Assessing My Odds [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
I think you've got a good shot at all of these schools! How does your 700 compare to how you were performing on practice tests? If you feel like you could get your score up at all without having to invest a lot more time in studying it would be worth a shot. 700 is solid but even a 720 would make your candidacy stronger, especially for a place like Tuck.
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
STERLIKI thanks for the the thank you.

I'm glad you have something on the board with volunteering; have you been able to make a quantifiable impact? If so make sure to illustrate that in your app. Same with work activities as well, of course.

Just to be clear - I agree with Jon - you want to retake the GMAT if you have it in you (code for: have not taken it 5 times and maxed out your score.)

Don't be complacent with your GMAT if there is ANY room for growth. The MBA Math option is a plan B or additional measure.

Stern and Tuck are good marketing schools especially for CGP.

I spent a decade in marketing management and taught marketing/advertising at the local state university as well. I'm a fan.

Good luck and feel free to get in touch.

STERLIKI wrote:
MBAPrepCoach thank you for your response, I really appreciate it. And thanks for the tip on the MBA Math program I will look into that as my quant score was lower than I'd hoped. Extracurriculars wise, I volunteer with students at a charter school in Brooklyn, I also plan on applying to several of my schools through Consortium. I'm also interested in Stern and Tuck, I forgot to mention those.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JonAdmissionado and MBAPrepCoach, thanks again for the advice I really appreciate it, the reason why I’m not sure whether taking the gmat again would help my quant is b/c my practice tests were right in the same range as my final score 680-700. I believe I’d have to get a tutor to bring my quant score up because I spent the past several months studying quant each day but 700 seems to be the best I can do on my own.

Posted from my mobile device
Send PM
Expert Reply
STERLIKI wrote:
JonAdmissionado and MBAPrepCoach, thanks again for the advice I really appreciate it, the reason why I’m not sure whether taking the gmat again would help my quant is b/c my practice tests were right in the same range as my final score 680-700. I believe I’d have to get a tutor to bring my quant score up because I spent the past several months studying quant each day but 700 seems to be the best I can do on my own.

STERLIKI
It would be a very wise investment for you to hire a tutor ( vet them and get references) and potentially also do group study in person or online.

Change your strategy just like you would with anything else in your life that isn't working as well as you would hope.

The business school you get into has a lot to do with your future earnings and the GMAT has a lot to do with the business school that you will get into....

and so I really urge you to do what you can on that. Just don't want to leave money on the table when it comes to your applications.

I realize it is super not fun to study for the GMAT but keep your eyes on the prize :-)

https://mbaprepcoach.com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBAPrepCoach, thank you I really appreciate your insight on this. In your opinion, with my current profile, which schools would I be competitive for?

Send PM
Expert Reply
I think that the schools you selected are a reasonable, with Columbia being a little bit of a stretch given that your Quant score is not up to par. Same for Yale/Tuck. Those are reasonable schools to apply to but it's hard to really tell because you don't know who else is going to apply, meaning the competition is unknown. Would need to know a little bit more about the quality of your work experience and extracurriculars, do you have international work experience, do you have experience managing others, there are a lot of other questions I ask. Definitely not add water and stir process.

https://mbaprepcoach.com
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
I'd consider finding a tutor if you're able to invest the time and money. Worst case, if you're unable to, you still have a strong profile so assuming you have some strong essays & LORs I think you're still in a good place in terms of your candidacy. If you're unable to get your GMAT up they will just place a bit more weight on the other parts of your application but it sounds like you have good material!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived NYU Stern Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our NYU Stern Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated NYU Stern Forum for all fresh things related to the NYU Stern MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts