GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 00:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 10 Keys to nail DS and CR questions

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

06:00 PM PST

07:00 PM PST

Join our live webinar and learn how to approach Data Sufficiency and Critical Reasoning problems, how to identify the best way to solve each question and what most people do wrong.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

The media claim that the economy is entering a phase of growth and pro

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
The media claim that the economy is entering a phase of growth and pro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 18:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (01:32) correct 38% (01:59) wrong based on 991 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

This question is part of the GMAT Club Critical Reasoning : Assumption" Revision Project.

The media claim that the economy is entering a phase of growth and prosperity. They point to lower unemployment rates and increased productivity. This analysis is false, though. The number of people filing for bankruptcy has increased every month for the last six months, and bankruptcy lawyers report that they are busier than they have been in years. Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

• Unemployment rates are not useful indicators of growth and prosperity.

• Economic growth cannot be measured in terms of productivity.

• Legislation has not been recently passed to make legal bankruptcy easier to obtain.

• There has not been an increase in the number of bankruptcy lawyers.

• The media often misrepresent the current state of economic affairs.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Current Student
V
Re: The media claim that the economy is entering a phase of growth and pro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2015, 18:54
The conclusion of the argument is that the media are wrong in saying that the
economy is entering a phase of growth and prosperity. The basis for that claim is
that the number of people filing for bankruptcy has increased every month for the
last six months and that bankruptcy lawyers are busier than they have been in
years. In order for this argument to be valid, however, the author has to assume
that the increase in the number of bankruptcies is a result of the state of the
economy and not the result of something unrelated.

(A) This statement does not have to be true for the claim that the media are
wrong about the economy to hold. Even if unemployment rates are useful
indicators of growth and prosperity, the media could still be wrong about the
economy (e.g., if there are other indicators that show problems in other areas).

(B) This does not have to be true for the conclusion to hold. Productivity could
be a good measure of economic growth, but the media could still be wrong about
the economy (e.g., if there are other indicators that show problems in other
areas).

(C) CORRECT. This has to be true for the conclusion to hold. If legislation has
recently been passed that makes it easier to obtain bankruptcy, then the
evidence cited would be less relevant. The increased number of bankruptcies
could have been the result of the easier process rather than of a poor economy.

(D) This does not have to be true for the conclusion to hold. An increase in the
number of bankruptcy lawyers would not explain the increase in the number of
bankruptcy filings.

(E) This does not have to be true for the claim that the media are wrong about
the economy to hold. Even if the media did not often misrepresent the current
state of economic affairs, the argument that the media are wrong might still hold.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 03-02-2015
GPA: 3.88
Re: The media claim that the economy is entering a phase of growth and pro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Feb 2015, 23:10
According to me option C is correct.

Kindly post the OE

Originally posted by DesiGmat on 23 Feb 2015, 21:30.
Last edited by DesiGmat on 23 Feb 2015, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 22:57
Here the gap in the argument is that the author assumes that bankruptcy can only happen because of unemployment. However if somehow obtaining legal bankruptcy becomes easy the authors conclusion does not hold.
Hence it should be C.
Current Student
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2016, 02:38
The media claim that the economy is entering a phase of growth and prosperity. They point to lower unemployment rates and increased productivity. This analysis is false, though. The number of people filing for bankruptcy has increased every month for the last six months, and bankruptcy lawyers report that they are busier than they have been in years. Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. Unemployment rates are not useful indicators of growth and prosperity.

B. Economic growth cannot be measured in terms of productivity.

C. Legislation has not been recently passed to make legal bankruptcy easier to obtain.

D. There has not been an increase in the number of bankruptcy lawyers.

E. The media often misrepresent the current state of economic affairs.

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2016, 06:01
My pick is C.. OA plz..

C. Legislation has not been recently passed to make legal bankruptcy easier to obtain.

Kudos if you like my post

Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2016, 07:01
Completely agree with anurag16

Negate option (C)

Legislation has recently been passed to make legal bankruptcy easier to obtain.

Result -

1. Number of people filing for bankruptcy has increased
2. Bankruptcy lawyers report that they are busier than before

The arguement falls apart, hence correct answer is definitely (C)

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 19:44
souvik101990 wrote:
This question is part of the GMAT Club Critical Reasoning : Assumption" Revision Project.

• Unemployment rates are not useful indicators of growth and prosperity.

• Economic growth cannot be measured in terms of productivity.

• Legislation has not been recently passed to make legal bankruptcy easier to obtain.

• There has not been an increase in the number of bankruptcy lawyers.

• The media often misrepresent the current state of economic affairs.

tough assumption question..
E can be eliminated right away...
D - looks like a strengthener..negated - more lawyers..and lawyers are busier than before - so looks ok...
C - if legislation has been easier to obtain - more people would file for bankruptcy - and thus the conclusion is not true. people file for bankruptcy not because the economy is bad, but because they can - for ex. to avoid paying loans/taxes/etc. so C is better than D...
B and A - well..we are given these 2 in the argument...UR + increased productivity -> sign that economy is ok..
B - measuring the productivity - irrelevant..
A - tough one..

went with C in the end...
3 possible answer choices...wow..
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 21:07
ones can use the strategy in boldface question to solve this question.
1/ the media: because unemployment rate and increased productivity, economy grows
2/ main argument: lawyer busier and more people file bankruptcy, so economy does not grow
=> eliminate A,B,E
Verbal Forum Moderator
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2017, 07:18
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

VP
VP
D
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 05:00
Imo C
To bridge the gap between the reason given fort the false claims of the media we have to ensure that the increase in bankruptcy was due to poor economy .
So keeping that in mind we have to search for options which does this.
Option C mentions that it did not become easy to obtain bankruptcy .
So the increase in bankruptcy was due to poor economy.

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2018, 14:59
I have spent a whole day thinking on this question.
I agreed with answer (C) but I also thought that answers A, B and even E are true.
First let me divide the premises and conclusion in the question:
Premise 1: The media claim that the economy is growing simply by pointing out that employment rate is going down and productivity is going up.
Then we have immediate conclusion: What media say about economy is wrong.
why??
Premise 2: because the number of people filing for bankruptcy is increasing and bankruptcy lawyers are busier than ever.

OK?
Now we have the answer A to E.
Lets eliminate answer choice D in the first place because it is completely irrelevant.
Now answer choices A and B are similar. One of them is talking about unemployment rate as an indicator and the other is mentioning productivity.
the conclusion says what the media is saying about the economy is wrong. We may think that the author point to some factors such as unemployment rate or productivity and if we choose answers A or B, then we can say the media is wrong about the economy and the conclusion holds true. but look at premise number two. What the author is saying after he says media is wrong is that bankruptcy cases is increasing. Then he must assume that due to the increasing number of bankruptcy cases, media is wrong and nothing else.

To my mind, the very difficult point of the question lies in here. We should pay attention to premise number 2 and not premise number 1.

Answer choice E is a restatement of the conclusion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 01:00
i feel that
it is effective to criticize argument before we answer assumption, flaw, weaken, strengthen and evaluate questions. think about how to attack argument before going to answe choices.

in what condition the argument fall apart. if we know this condition, we can answer most cr problems.

it is possible that the condition you prethink is different from the condition in the correct answer, but by prethinking criticization help you realize the correct answer among answer choices easily.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The media claim that the economy is entering a phase of growth and pro &nbs [#permalink] 22 Feb 2018, 01:00

The media claim that the economy is entering a phase of growth and pro

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap