It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 17:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Asthmagon was long considered the most effective of the drugs known as

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Human Resources, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
Asthmagon was long considered the most effective of the drugs known as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2017, 08:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

82% (01:25) correct 18% (01:28) wrong based on 79 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Asthmagon was long considered the most effective of the drugs known as beta-2 agonists, designed to alleviate asthma attacks. However, studies conducted in Rhiago between 1981 and 1987 revealed that nearly one out of every five of the asthma patients under observation who took asthmagon suffered serious side effects after taking the drug. Citing this statistic, some doctors argue that asthmagon should be banned as an anti-asthma drug.
Which one of the following, if true, most weakens the case for the proposed ban of asthmagon?
(A) In Rhiago, where asthmagon had been the most widely prescribed of the beta-2 agonists, the number of asthma deaths increased between 1981 and 1987.
(B) Many of the patients under observation to whom asthmagon was administered had not previously taken a beta-2 agonist.
(C) Despite the growing concern about the drug many physicians in Rhiago still prescribe asthmagon to asthma sufferers.
(D) Among the patients observed, only those who had very high cholesterol counts suffered side effects after taking asthmagon.
(E) Asthmagon increases the severity of asthma attacks in some people because the drug can cause damage to heart tissues.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Army Brat

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.5
Reviews Badge
Asthmagon was long considered the most effective of the drugs known as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2017, 09:03
my answer is D

choice A is the opposite of weakens
B is just irrelevant
C is also irrelevant
E. opposite of weakens

Last edited by lebron23Goat on 18 May 2017, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Asthmagon was long considered the most effective of the drugs known as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2017, 09:05
lebron23Goat What about other option
Please share POE

Army Brat

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.5
Reviews Badge
Re: Asthmagon was long considered the most effective of the drugs known as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2017, 09:07
i made an edit to my reply, with poe. was there any answer you think it is besides D? ill go in depth as to why the answer is wrong
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2017, 09:22
My answer is D. Other than D and B, everything doesn't seem relevant. Now,
B - For the ban of asthmagon, it doesn't weaken the argument. It's kind of an assumption that it'll not affect others too. So B is wrong.

Sent from my Pixel using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 00:22
lebron23Goat Nope thatwill be it
Thanks

Army Brat

Re: Asthmagon was long considered the most effective of the drugs known as   [#permalink] 19 May 2017, 00:22

Asthmagon was long considered the most effective of the drugs known as

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap