Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 516 [11]
Given Kudos: 33
GPA: 4
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1005 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Finance,Entrepreneurship,General Management
Schools:Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 357
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: Astrophysicists wrestling with the study of a new kind of star, the [#permalink]
Got q3 nd q6 wrong (21 mins)
Experts please comment why Q3 is B not C? The phrase "unqualified " is making little difference, what do you say?
Q 6, the questions asked about future, whereas, option C the phrase " in the past"...In Q6 what is wrong with E?
plz help...
thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: Astrophysicists wrestling with the study of a new kind of star, the [#permalink]
I got 8/9 correct in 17.5 minutes- How is it?

soumya170293 Following is the explanation on Q2 (as per my understanding):

Lets read this part carefully

There is no evidence from observation, however, that accretion disks do, in fact, suffer from these instabilities. In recent work, Abramowicz has shown that added gravitational effects due to general relativity may alter the expected Newtonian gravitational relationships in such a way that the disk remains stable, indicating that it is possible that these predicted instabilities do not occur.

2. It can be inferred from the passage that predictions of the instability of accretion disks were based on which of the following?
(A) A calculation of the probable effects of standard Newtonian gravitational relationships- As per the above lines, Newtonian law considered in silo, suggested that these disks might be unstable.
(B) A calculation of the probable relationship between general relativity and standard Newtonian gravitational relationships- Direct contradiction, calculation of relationship b/w general relativity and standard Newtonian gravitational relations suggested that discs might be stable
(C) A calculation of the energy released by friction within a compact star- Out of scope
(D) Observation of the x-rays radiated by compact stars- Out of scope
(E) Observation of the clumping of accretion disk matter into rings around compact stars- Out of scope
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Astrophysicists wrestling with the study of a new kind of star, the [#permalink]
SajjadAhmad
I have a question, for you along with other @moderators/ senior members here.

These passages contain anywhere from 6-9 questions. This is not the format of gmat, which contains up to 4 questions.

Do you think it helps to do these RCs ? Or does it serve a specific purpose ?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32888 [1]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Astrophysicists wrestling with the study of a new kind of star, the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
navderm wrote:
SajjadAhmad
I have a question, for you along with other @moderators/ senior members here.

These passages contain anywhere from 6-9 questions. This is not the format of gmat, which contains up to 4 questions.

Do you think it helps to do these RCs ? Or does it serve a specific purpose ?

There is no specific purpose than practice. When GMAC builds a passage it also creates roughly 6-10 questions from that passage having difficulty levels sub-500 to 700+. In real GMAT test, it gave you 3-4 questions with adaptive difficulty levels. It is not unusual that two test-takers faced the same passage with totally different questions. You will also find Official RC passages with 7 or more questions and they are also for practice purposes. If this were a Mock exam and you faced more than 5 questions then you could say this is something unusual but here just for practice and stamina-building purpose, this all is fine. You will get 3-4 questions only in mock exams or real test not in other practice resources. I hope you will get my point.

Thanks and regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
I understand that this passage with 9 questions are for practice. However I took 20 mins to read the passage and answer the 9Q. Even if there were 5 questions (GMAT format) I can only reduce 4 mins max. So technically I am taking 14 mins to read the passage which is long. What are your thoughts? Should I speed up my reading comprehension to avoid losing time.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts