GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 06:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

At a certain arena, with five levels, level I has 30 vacant seats,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
At a certain arena, with five levels, level I has 30 vacant seats,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2018, 07:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

24% (01:30) correct 76% (01:43) wrong based on 82 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

At a certain arena, with five levels, level I has 30 vacant seats, level II has 45 vacant seats, level III has 40 vacant seats, level IV has 25 vacant seats and level V has 10 vacant seats. If vacant seats are filled randomly, what is the minimum number of seats that must be filled to ensure that 3 levels are completely filled?

A) 115
B) 65
C) 140
D) 148
E) 149

It seems Kudos button not working correctly with all my posts...

Please check if it is working with this post......

is it?....

Anyways...Thanks for trying :cool:

Most Helpful Community Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: At a certain arena, with five levels, level I has 30 vacant seats,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2018, 01:22
You may have gotten tripped up by the wording on this one. The question is not asking for the minimum possible number of seats filled that could completely fill 3 levels, it's asking for the minimum possible number of seats that guarantees that 3 levels will be completely filled. So, first figure out the maximum number of seats that can be filled without completely filling any of the five levels. That means filling all but one vacant seat in each level, that is, 29 in level I, 44 in level II, 39 in level III, 24 in level IV, and 9 in level V, for a total of 145 vacant seats filled. Since there is only one vacant seat in each section now, filling in one more seat will necessarily completely fill a level. Filling in a second additional seat will complete a second level, and filling in a third will complete a third level. So filling in 145 + 3 = 148 seats will ensure that 3 levels are completely filled.

It seems Kudos button not working correctly with all my posts...

Please check if it is working with this post......

is it?....

Anyways...Thanks for trying :cool:

General Discussion
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.12
WE: Project Management (Other)
Re: At a certain arena, with five levels, level I has 30 vacant seats,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2018, 08:26
Harshgmat wrote:
At a certain arena, with five levels, level I has 30 vacant seats, level II has 45 vacant seats, level III has 40 vacant seats, level IV has 25 vacant seats and level V has 10 vacant seats. If vacant seats are filled randomly, what is the minimum number of seats that must be filled to ensure that 3 levels are completely filled?

A) 115
B) 65
C) 140
D) 148
E) 149

Sir, Kindly solve this.
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2018, 08:28
(30-1) + (45-1) + (40-1) + (25-1) + (10-1) + 3 = 148
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 18:47
pandeyashwin wrote:

Hi, please explain in detail. Am lost.
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 23:06
Kezia9 wrote:
pandeyashwin wrote:

Hi, please explain in detail. Am lost.

"If vacant seats are filled randomly, what is the minimum number of seats that must be filled to ensure that 3 levels are completely filled"

First thing that comes to mind is simply select level 1 , 4, 5 but the seats are filled randomly so you cannot say with 100% certainty that it'll be the case.

So what we do is reduce the seats in all the levels by 1.
So Level 1 = 30-1 = 29 seats ; level 2 = 44 ; level 3 = 39 ; level 4 = 24 ; level 5 = 9.

Now all the levels are on the verge of being filled. Now when the next 3 seats are selected , it'll ensure that 3 levels are completely filled.
(29 + 44 + 39 + 24 + 9 ) + 3 = 148
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2018, 00:34
Harshgmat wrote:

A) 115
B) 65
C) 140
D) 148
E) 149

The seats are to be filled randomly. We need 3 levels to be completely filled. We are looking for the worst case scenario - when will we be sure that 3 levels are completely filled?

Think of the worst case - Each of the 5 levels are filled to (Capacity - 1). Then the last 3 people take seats in 3 levels to finally have 3 levels completely full.
If another 2 people come, all seats would be occupied.

So we are looking for (total seats - 2) = (30 + 45 + 40 + 25 + 10 - 2) = 148

Answer (D)

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: At a certain arena, with five levels, level I has 30 vacant seats, &nbs [#permalink] 28 Sep 2018, 00:34

At a certain arena, with five levels, level I has 30 vacant seats,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap