GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2019, 21:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables.

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 975
At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Nov 2018, 05:12
33
3
211
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

24% (02:15) correct 76% (02:21) wrong based on 4741 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables. However, many customers come to watch the celebrities who frequent the Hollywood, and they would prefer tall tables with stools because such seating would afford a better view of the celebrities. Moreover, diners seated on stools typically do not stay as long as diners seated at standard-height tables. Therefore, if the Hollywood replaced some of its seating with high tables and stools, its profits would increase.

The argument is vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it gives reason to believe that it is likely that


(A) some celebrities come to the Hollywood to be seen, and so might choose to sit at the tall tables if they were available.

(B) the price of meals ordered by celebrities dining at the Hollywood compensates for the longer time, if any, they spend lingering over their meals.

(C) a customer of the Hollywood who would choose to sit at a tall table would be an exception to the generalization about lingering

(D) a restaurant's customers who spend less time at their meals typically order less expensive meals than those who remain at their meals longer

(E) with enough tall tables to accommodate all the Hollywood's customers interested in such seating, there would be no view except of other tall tables.

Originally posted by tennis1ball on 01 Dec 2006, 22:16.
Last edited by Bunuel on 22 Nov 2018, 05:12, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2013
Posts: 219
Re: At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2014, 14:52
49
16
As with all arguments, I like to first start by reading the question and then breaking down the argument into conclusion and premises. First the question:

Shawshank wrote:
The argument is vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it gives reason to believe that it is likely that


Alright so I know now that I will be dealing with weaknesses in the argument. So I will keep that in mind as I break it down.

Shawshank wrote:
At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables. However, many customers come to watch the celebrities who frequent the Hollywood, and they would prefer tall tables with stools because such seating would afford a better view of the celebrities. Moreover, diners seated on stools typically do not stay as long as diners seated at standard-height tables. Therefore, if the Hollywood replaced some of its seating with high tables and stools, its profits would increase.


Conclusion: Replace seating and profits will go up

Premise: People go to restaurant to see celebs
Premise: People want tall tables and seats to see the celebs
Premise: Diners on stools don't stay as long

Alright so there is the argument. Not a lot there to support the idea that profits will go up expect for the fact that there might be a faster turn over of tables. But there are a lot of assumptions here:

1. tall stools and tables won't deter people from spending as much as they did with normal tables
2. People actually want to see celebs and not eat food
3. Celebs will continue to come even if it easier for people to see them at the taller tables
...

Now it is time to look at the answer choices and see what makes the argument vulnerable. We need to look for reasons for why profits might not increase.

Shawshank wrote:
(A) some celebrities come to the Hollywood to be seen, and so might choose to sit at the tall tables if they were available


Well, this is not a problem. This is just more support for having taller tables. The celebs will come to sit at the tall tables making it easier for people to see them. This is not a criticism. Eliminate.

Shawshank wrote:
(B) the price of meals ordered by celebrities dining at the Hollywood compensates for the longer time, if any, they spend lingering over their meals


This too focused on the celebrities. The argument and the restaurant does not base its profits on how much celebs spend. Profits are based on all the other people coming to the restaurant. This is too narrowly focused so eliminate.

Shawshank wrote:
(C) a customer of the Hollywood who would choose to sit at a tall table would be an exception to the generalization about lingering


This gets at one of the assumptions I had. If someone sits at a tall table, will they stay longer or leave faster. Here we have a possible example, or a question, about what these customers are like. The argument assumed that people at the Hollywood would leave quickly when at a tall table, like at other restaurants. But what if having a tall table means you can see the celebs. This might be a reason to stay. And thus there would not be a fast turn over. People might stay longer because they have a good view of a celeb whereas before, without a good view, people would just eat and leave. This looks like the answer.

Shawshank wrote:
(D) a restaurant's customers who spend less time at their meals typically order less expensive meals than those who remain at their meals longer


This is also close to what I was saying in the assumptions. But the problem is that this does not necessarily weaken the argument. People who stay less time order less expensive food which might cut into the profits. But if you have more people coming in to eat, and you can sit more people during your business hours, then ordering less expensive food won't be a problem. So this might be a problem, but not necessarily. Answer choice (C) would necessarily weaken the argument and cut into profits always. So this answer is not as good as D. But is a good tempting choice.

Shawshank wrote:
(E) with enough tall tables to accommodate all the Hollywood's customers interested in such seating, there would be no view except of other tall tables


This might also be a problem, but the argument doesn't say that they are going to jam tables into the restaurant. There is no mention of adding more seating. They are merely going to replace tables that they have. So this is outside the scope of the argument and wrong.

I hope that I was able to shed some light on this question. :)
_________________
Kevin Rocci
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 150
Re: At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2009, 18:11
50
17
At first I was btw choosing D and E. But after reading the explanations, I see why C is the best.

D. States that people who sit there for a shorter amount of time have a cheaper tab than people who sit for longer. This doesn't necessarily undermine the restaurant owner's conclusion, because the higher turnover can still result in a larger total revenue. For example, if people who stay for an avg of 30mins order $10 of food per person and people who stay for 1hr order 15 dollars of food, then in 1hr the total revenue in the first scenario would be 20 and in the second only 15. And the argument assumes that there will be higher turnover after all the tables are converted to tall tables.

E. States that if all the tables were tall tables then the view would be ruined. The question states that taller tables offer a better view of the celebrities. It does NOT say that the taller table offers a better view of the celebrities because the celebrities are sitting at lower tables or because the tall tables are spaced far enough apart to get a good view of the celebrities. Therefore, answer E doesn't undermine the restaurant owner's conclusion. Someone pointed out that the increase in tall tables would take away the height advantage. This is an assumption on the part of the reader! The question merely states that tall tables afford a better view of celebrities, period. It doesn't say how it offers a better view of the celebrities.

C is the best because the owner plans to increase revenues by drawing people in with universally good views of celebs from the tall tables, which also discourage lingering. Basically he will attract more people who will spend less time eating. However, if they do linger then his profits won't be higher than before when he had the standard height tables, which typically made people stay longer than the tall tables. He won't be able to achieve the higher turnover rate he was looking for.

That's my 2cents. Keep in mind this question asks for the best answer, which in this case is C.
General Discussion
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Posts: 661
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Re: At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2006, 07:35
6
5
At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables. However, many customers come to watch the celebrities who frequent the Hollywood, and they would prefer tall tables with stools because such seating would afford a better view of the celebrities. Moreover, diners seated on stools typically do not stay as long as diners seated at standard-height tables. Therefore, if the Hollywood replaced some of its seating with high tables and stools, its profits would increase.

The argument is vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it gives reason to believe that it is likely that

A. some celebrities come to the Hollywood to be seen, and so might choose to sit at the tall tables if they were available.

B. the price of meals ordered by celebrities dining at the Hollywood compensates for the longer time, if any, they spend lingering over their meals.

C. a customer of the Hollywood who would choose to sit at a tall table would be an exception to the generalization about lingering

An exception. So there wont be increase in profits. So the answer is C.

D. a restaurant's customers who spend less time at their meals typically order less expensive meals than those who remain at their meals longer

This is actually stregthening the logic followed in the argument. So D can't be the answer.

E. with enough tall tables to accommodate all the Hollywood's customers interested in such seating, there would be no view except of other tall tables

Argument does not say that all the Hollywood's customers interested in such seating are going to be accomodated. So E can't be the answer.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: "You never fail until you stop trying." ~Albert Einstein~
Joined: 16 May 2010
Posts: 17
Re: At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2010, 10:57
1
(C) a customer of the Hollywood who would choose to sit at a tall table would be an exception to the generalization about lingering
-Correct-If the restaurant was perfectly ok with lingering customers then one or many may wait around for hours for their fav celeb to come wondering in. One can argue that high stools and table may not be a good idea because regular paying customers would bring in the more profit than those.. umm possible fanatics who would be encouraged by the availability of high tables.

(D) a restaurant's customers who spend less time at their meals typically order less expensive meals than those who remain at their meals longer
-This is a great general statement but it doesn't really prove that profit would be affected by replacing seating with high tables and stool - out

(E) with enough tall tables to accommodate all the Hollywood's customers interested in such seating, there would be no view except of other tall tables.
-Note the strong language ALL customers would be interested in such seating-The argument mentions that replacing some of the seating but.. enough to only see other tall tables? - (I was thinking of a scenario arguing with a person and bringing up option (E) to my defense. He/she would reply nuh uh I didn't say that I wanted to replace that many tables and chair you egghead I said SOME some =])
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 273
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Re: At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2011, 01:41
2
1
A fantastic question!

At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables. However, many customers come to watch the celebrities who frequent the Hollywood, and they would prefer tall tables with stools because such seating would afford a better view of the celebrities. Moreover, diners seated on stools typically do not stay as long as diners seated at standard-height tables. Therefore, if the Hollywood replaced some of its seating with high tables and stools, its profits would increase.

So, what is the argument?
1) Replace normal seats with stools and increase profit. Why?
a) diners prefers stools for better view
b) diners come to see celebs
c) NOTE: Also stool diners dont stay as long as standard height table diners(perhaps because of arching leg pains
)

The argument is vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it gives reason to believe that it is likely that

STEM: Which of the following if true weakens type. I saw somebody mention that it's a MUST BE TRUE type, but I disagree because the main "part of the stem" asks us why the argument is vulnerbale to criticisim. And all the answer choices are not in the stimulus or rather external information

(A) some celebrities come to the Hollywood to be seen, and so might choose to sit at the tall tables if they were available.
Does this give a reason to increase the # of stools? Yes. So, this strengthens the argument.
(B) the price of meals ordered by celebrities dining at the Hollywood compensates for the longer time, if any, they spend lingering over their meals.
Does this give a reason to increase the # of stools? Yes. Because if the celebs stay longer, people will want to view them longer and price of meals is already compensated for by their lingering.
(C) a customer of the Hollywood who would choose to sit at a tall table would be an exception to the generalization about lingering
Does this give a reason to increase the # of stools? A big fat NO. This is because majority of the folks will linger rather than sit on the stool and order food. So, this weakens the argument.
(D) a restaurant's customers who spend less time at their meals typically order less expensive meals than those who remain at their meals longer
I found this choice the most difficult to eliminate. I was stuck between C and D for a very long time. ~ 4mins and then chose D. :evil:
Does this give a reason to increase the # of stools? Actually this statement means to say that if we have more stools, revenue will go down because people will order less expensive meals. Turnover xTime at meal x $/meal = $$ (Revenue). BUT THERE IS AN EXCEPTION HERE. IF you can have more turnover because stools -> shorter time at table, THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THAT INCREASING # OF STOOLS MAY HELP. SO, THERE IS A POSSIBILITY!!! SO, REJECT THIS CHOICE.

(E) with enough tall tables to accommodate all the Hollywood's customers interested in such seating, there would be no view except of other tall tables.
Does this give a reason to increase the # of stools? Well Yes and No. It doesn't really address the question at all. So, IRRELEVANT.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2011
Posts: 64
Re: At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2012, 03:39
7
1
Arbitrageur wrote:
At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables. However, many customers come to watch the celebrities who frequent the Hollywood, and they would prefer tall tables with stools because such seating would afford a better view of the celebrities. Moreover, diners seated on stools typically do not stay as long as diners seated at standard-height tables. Therefore, if the Hollywood replaced some of its seating with high tables and stools, its profits would increase.

The argument is vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it gives reason to believe that it is likely that

(A) some celebrities come to the Hollywood to be seen, and so might choose to sit at the tall tables if they were available--irrelevant
(B) the price of meals ordered by celebrities dining at the Hollywood compensates for the longer time, if any, they spend lingering over their meals- irrelevant ,
(C) a customer of the Hollywood who would choose to sit at a tall table would be an exception to the generalization about lingering--weakens, place it as contender.
(D) a restaurant's customers who spend less time at their meals typically order less expensive meals than those who remain at their meals longer--weakens,
(E) with enough tall tables to accommodate all the Hollywood's customers interested in such seating, there would be no view except of other tall tables--Weaken, place it as contender


I also picked D initially, but when iterated again though the options, i found C to be a contender for the reasons below:
So C,D,E are in race for the answer.

I rejected E on the grounds because it mentions enough tall tables ,where as conclusion talks about some of the tables being replaced with taller ones.

D. a restaurant's customers who spend less time at their meals typically order less expensive meals than those who remain at their meals longer. If this option were true it will definitely weakens the conclusion.

Premise: Diners seated on stools typically do not stay as long as diners seated at standard-height tables.

The combination of option D and this premise implies that people spend more time on std. tables and also pay more for their food.

----------------------------------------xxxxx-----------------------------------

C) a customer of the Hollywood who would choose to sit at a tall table would be an exception to the generalization about lingering-

generalization about lingering---> people on std. table lingers over their food more then people sitting on stools.
exception about this generalization would be, if a guy lingers more while sitting on stool/tall table

Now this definitely hurts the argument, since if EVERY CUSTOMER(who sits on tall table/stool) made this exception, it will difficult for the Hollywood to make room for new customers.

out of c and D , IMO C is better because we are not sure about amount of money, people sitting on std. tables will be paying higher than as compared to people on stools.Whereas, if the hotel gets clogged due to lingering guests, its business will definitely suffer to some extent.
This question is real tough one, i relied on my assumptions to reach the answer but an expert reply is much awaited.
_________________
Whatever one does in life is a repetition of what one has done several times in one's life!
If my post was worth it, then i deserve kudos :)
BSchool Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 28 May 2012
Posts: 96
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Re: At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2012, 04:00
2
Shawshank wrote:
At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables. However, many customers come to watch the celebrities who frequent the Hollywood, and they would prefer tall tables with stools because such seating would afford a better view of the celebrities. Moreover, diners seated on stools typically do not stay as long as diners seated at standard-height tables. Therefore, if the Hollywood replaced some of its seating with high tables and stools, its profits would increase.

The argument is vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it gives reason to believe that it is likely that

(A) some celebrities come to the Hollywood to be seen, and so might choose to sit at the tall tables if they were available
(B) the price of meals ordered by celebrities dining at the Hollywood compensates for the longer time, if any, they spend lingering over their meals
(C) a customer of the Hollywood who would choose to sit at a tall table would be an exception to the generalization about lingering
(D) a restaurant's customers who spend less time at their meals typically order less expensive meals than those who remain at their meals longer
(E) with enough tall tables to accommodate all the Hollywood's customers interested in such seating, there would be no view except of other tall tables


A and B are straight out as they discuss about the celebrities coming for dinner.

I find E somewhat irrelevant to the argument at hand.

D- This is a pretty general statement regarding people staying at the tables longer and ordering expensive food.
no where does it bring out the difference between standard height and tall tables.

C- Bingo! The general trend what people follow is that they come to holly wood only to watch celebrities and just linger on ;
they plan to replace standard height with tall tables so that they can increase their profits, but what if people are just lingering ?
How will that increase the profits?

Am I right with my understanding?
_________________
You want something, go get it . Period !
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Oct 2008
Posts: 79
Re: At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2012, 23:53
4
It is a quite unusual question, but I did pick C. The key, as other people have noted, is paying attention to exactly what the question is asking. I figured it out this way: First of all, it is not a Weaken question but a Flaw question; it is asking for an answer that shows why the argument is "vulnerable to criticism" - in other words, an answer that describes something that is wrong with the argument. (When I teach, I tell students that if they mis-identify a Weaken question as a Flaw question or vice versa, it will almost NEVER harm them. This one might be an exception.) But then this question gets a lot more specific than the usual flaw question, because it wants us to identify a flaw which the argument ITSELF actually "gives reason to believe" is "likely". So this isn't just a typical "missing assumption" kind of flaw: Some of the alleged evidence in the argument must actually serve as evidence of a flaw.

Because they have worded the question this way, they can make our life especially hard by providing wrong answers which actually do describe flaws in the argument, but NOT the flaw which the argument contains a specific piece of evidence for. This argument is crawling with flaws, and in fact each of the four wrong answers is a flaw under some or all possible conditions. Only C, however, describes a flaw which follows from part of the evidence. One part of the evidence says that diners on tall stools IN GENERAL leave sooner; another part gives good reason to expect that diners on tall stools AT THE HOLLYWOOD will not. This contradiction then makes it impossible to support the conclusion -- even if we were to buy into the missing assumption (another flaw) that profits go up if diners leave sooner.
_________________
Grumpy

Kaplan Canada LSAT/GMAT/GRE teacher and tutor
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: enjoying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4897
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2012, 09:47
3
1
This topic cannot be handled except by POE, The argument is that the Restaurant will make more profits, if they installed more number of taller stools. Any choice, to be the right answer, should touch upon this critical mission.

(A) some celebrities come to the Hollywood to be seen, and so might choose to sit at the tall tables if they were available. --- But still this choice is not related to making profits at all.

(B) the price of meals ordered by celebrities dining at the Hollywood compensates for the longer time, if any, they spend lingering over their meals. --- no relevance to tall tables

(C) a customer of the Hollywood who would choose to sit at a tall table would be an exception to the generalization about lingering --- The generalization about lingering is the these tall-table sitters do not stay long enough. But Hollywood being a place of celebrities, might tempt customers spend longer time at the table and there is no guarantee that they will order expensive meal, because their focus is to glance their idols. Hence this will be an anti-climax to the thinking of the argument think of

(D) a restaurant's customers who spend less time at their meals typically order less expensive meals than those who remain at their meals longer – not related to tables

(E) with enough tall tables to accommodate all the Hollywood's customers interested in such seating, there would be no view except of other tall tables. – No reference to profits.
_________________
If you can't sync with the vibe of GMAT, you had better think!!!
Director
Director
User avatar
S
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 629
Location: India
Re: At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2013, 06:39
tennis_ball wrote:
At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables. However, many customers come to watch the celebrities who frequent the Hollywood, and they would prefer tall tables with stools because such seating would afford a better view of the celebrities. Moreover, diners seated on stools typically do not stay as long as diners seated at standard-height tables. Therefore, if the Hollywood replaced some of its seating with high tables and stools, its profits would increase.

The argument is vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it gives reason to believe that it is likely that

(A) some celebrities come to the Hollywood to be seen, and so might choose to sit at the tall tables if they were available.
(B) the price of meals ordered by celebrities dining at the Hollywood compensates for the longer time, if any, they spend lingering over their meals.
(C) a customer of the Hollywood who would choose to sit at a tall table would be an exception to the generalization about lingering
(D) a restaurant's customers who spend less time at their meals typically order less expensive meals than those who remain at their meals longer
(E) with enough tall tables to accommodate all the Hollywood's customers interested in such seating, there would be no view except of other tall tables.


Is this a GMAT question?

I retract what I said in my earlier posts after a closer reading of the question.

If you read the question carefully you will see that there is no other group other than the following group that is mentioned with regard to lingering : "many customers come to watch the celebrities who frequent the Hollywood,". So I do not understand how choice C can be correct as there is no group mentioned which can be taken as the exception to the generalization because all of the above group who come to see celebrities prefer to sit at a tall table and those who sit at a tall table spend less time dining.

So the argument definitely does not give reason to believe that the hollywood customers would be an exception to the generalization about lingering.
_________________
Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Holistic and Systematic Approach
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 715
Location: India
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2014, 13:15
2
a customer of the Hollywood who would choose to sit at a tall table would be an exception to the generalization about lingering.

Definition: Linger : To remain or stay on in a place longer than is usual or expected, as if from reluctance to leave.

Generalization about lingering :
Case 1. While waiting for boarding gates to open, we linger at coffee shop with one coffee. We try to spend less money and try to spend more time bcz we just want to pass the time.
Case 2. While waiting for boarding gates to open, we linger at some liquor lounge and try to gulp much before boarding gates to open. We try to spend more money and try to drink more, bcz we enjoy that.

Here Case 1 and Case 2 both are yielding opposite effect on profit, then exceptional customer to which Case we are considering.. bcz in one case he or she will profit the restaurant and in other case loss.
_________________
Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Jun 2014
Posts: 6
Re: At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2014, 05:36
Hi Kevin,

I was of the idea that since the question says "... it gives reason to believe that it is likely that" it is an Assumption question. Therefore, D and E are also invalid because they are statements which, if true, would weaken the argument but we are not looking for such statements. Instead we are looking for assumptions that the argument makes. And one assumption, as you pointed out as well, is that those occupying tall tables would be an exception to the lingering generalization.

Thus, D is the answer.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2013
Posts: 219
Re: At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2014, 09:27
tsatomic wrote:
Hi Kevin,

I was of the idea that since the question says "... it gives reason to believe that it is likely that" it is an Assumption question. Therefore, D and E are also invalid because they are statements which, if true, would weaken the argument but we are not looking for such statements. Instead we are looking for assumptions that the argument makes. And one assumption, as you pointed out as well, is that those occupying tall tables would be an exception to the lingering generalization.

Thus, D is the answer.



Hi tsatomic, I understand the point that you are trying to make, but ultimately, this is a weakening question—not an assumption question. Look at the whole question stem:

Quote:
The argument is vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it gives reason to believe that it is likely that


You can't ignore the first part of the question stem and decide that it isn't part of what you are being asked to do. We are not looking just for an assumption. We are looking for an assumption that we can expose and use to weaken the argument as a whole. That's what the first part of the question asks us to do, and that's what we'll do.

Does that make sense?

Happy Studying! :D
_________________
Kevin Rocci
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 1542
Re: At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2015, 01:18
2
Folks, there's an easy way to tell that this is not an Assumption question. The correct answer is something that is BAD for the argument. If it were an Assumption question, the correct answer would be helpful to the argument, and would flip to a weaken when negated.

If the point is that this is an assumption-based question, in other words that it requires us to understand a missing element of the argument, then that is of course true, but that is true of ALL Strengthen, Weaken, and Evaluate Q's. If an argument didn't have any missing pieces (assumptions), then there would be no need to strengthen, weaken, or evaluate. The argument would be perfect as is.

Another clue here is that the particular piece were asked to look for is something that the argument gives us "reason to believe." The question is letting us know that the argument contains the seeds of its own downfall! If folks want high tables to look at celebrities, who's to say they are going to rush back out? This is a common GMAT pattern, in which one element of an argument disrupts or negates another part.
_________________

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jan 2015
Posts: 88
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Re: At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2015, 00:51
Shawshank wrote:
At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables. However, many customers come to watch the celebrities who frequent the Hollywood, and they would prefer tall tables with stools because such seating would afford a better view of the celebrities. Moreover, diners seated on stools typically do not stay as long as diners seated at standard-height tables. Therefore, if the Hollywood replaced some of its seating with high tables and stools, its profits would increase.

The argument is vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it gives reason to believe that it is likely that

(A) some celebrities come to the Hollywood to be seen, and so might choose to sit at the tall tables if they were available
(B) the price of meals ordered by celebrities dining at the Hollywood compensates for the longer time, if any, they spend lingering over their meals
(C) a customer of the Hollywood who would choose to sit at a tall table would be an exception to the generalization about lingering
(D) a restaurant's customers who spend less time at their meals typically order less expensive meals than those who remain at their meals longer
(E) with enough tall tables to accommodate all the Hollywood's customers interested in such seating, there would be no view except of other tall tables


A very nice and subtle question:

A fact from argument: many customer go to Hollywood Restaurant with the primary intention of seeing celebs

A generalization from argument: diners seated on stools typically do not stay as long as diners seated at standard-height tables

If tall tables with stools provide better view of celebs for customers who many of them go to Hollywood Restaurant to see the celebs, then this kind of seating (in the context of this question) may not necessarily lead to shorter dinning time, compared to an average customer in a restaurant. Since the motives of customers of Hollywood restaurant are different from motives of customer of other restaurants, the kind of seating mentioned might even produce opposite effects, i.e. longer dining time, which might reduce the profit.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1096
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2015, 11:01
1
At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables. However, many customers come to watch the celebrities who frequent the Hollywood, and they would prefer tall tables with stools because such seating would afford a better view of the celebrities. Moreover, diners seated on stools typically do not stay as long as diners seated at standard-height tables. Therefore, if the Hollywood replaced some of its seating with high tables and stools, its profits would increase.

The argument is vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it gives reason to believe that it is likely that

A. some celebrities come to the Hollywood to be seen, and so might choose to sit at the tall tables if they were available.
(it is not celebrities who sit at these tall tables but sutomers who come to see them. This makes no sense. OFS)

B. the price of meals ordered by celebrities dining at the Hollywood compensates for the longer time, if any, they spend lingering over their meals.
(Price of meals ordered by celebrities does not matter to the conclusion.)

C. a customer of the Hollywood who would choose to sit at a tall table would be an exception to the generalization about lingering.
(The author of the argument assumes that general customer at standard table linger for a long time to watch a glimpse of celebrity but the customer at tall table will not spend a large time as long as diners seated at standard-height tables even as they get to watch celebrities in a better view. this is flaw as the reverse can happen as they may get excited and spend more time more than general customer at std table who cannot have a better view.)

D. a restaurant's customers who spend less time at their meals typically order less expensive meals than those who remain at their meals longer.
(even if this is the case of long tables, if the more people visit the restaurant at the end of the day as they spend less time on the table resulting in profits according to the argument and this new info will not be a flaw in the existing argument.)

E. with enough tall tables to accommodate all the Hollywood's customers interested in such seating, there would be no view except of other tall tables.
(This results in absence of people at standard tables and will result in loss and this new info does not indicate the flaw in argument.)
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1096
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 10:49
At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables.

However, many customers come to watch the celebrities who frequent the Hollywood, and they prefer tall tables with stools for better view of the celebrities.

Moreover, diners seated on stools typically do not stay as long as diners seated at standard-height tables.

Therefore, if the Hollywood replaced some of its seating with high tables and stools, its profits would increase.




The argument is vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it gives reason to believe that it is likely that

A. some celebrities come to the Hollywood to be seen, and so might choose to sit at the tall tables if they were available..........profits wont increase since diners will sit for the same amount of time as earlier.

B. the price of meals ordered by celebrities dining at the Hollywood compensates for the longer time, if any, they spend lingering over their meals................whether celebrities linger for a long time or not does not affect the argument since fans may or may not linger and thus profits may or may not arise.

C. a customer of the Hollywood who would choose to sit at a tall table would be an exception to the generalization about lingering
It is given in the argument that
Quote:
diners seated on stools typically do not stay as long as diners seated at standard-height tables.
but this argument assumes that this diner on stool represents a customer of Hollywood and he will not stay for long even if he came to his favorite celebrity.

D. a restaurant's customers who spend less time at their meals typically order less expensive meals than those who remain at their meals longer.............even if they order less priced item still this may or may not result in profits. this does not indicate flaw

E. with enough tall tables to accommodate all the Hollywood's customers interested in such seating, there would be no view except of other tall tables...........whether there is a view of other or standard tables does not explain flaw in the argument as it does not affect the argument in any way.
Director
Director
User avatar
B
Joined: 04 Jun 2016
Posts: 558
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Re: At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2016, 08:17
2
A super easy question

ANSWER IS C



Remember CR is all about knowing the rules - what and when info can be brought in, decoding the language, and catching the subtle linguistic nuances premise after premise.

Premise 1) Customer want to see celebrities and doing that is easier if customer has tall tables
Premise 2) Tall tables are also not suitable to sit for longer period. So GENERALLY customer don't LINGER AROUND and leave as soon as they finish their order
Conclusion)Hollywood Restaurant should change SOME of their short tables into Tall tables to increase profit

WEAKEN :- IT IS USUALLY TRUE THAT CUSTOMER DONT LIKE TO LINGER AROUND IN THE RESTAURANT IF THEY ARE ON TALL TABLE BUT WHAT IF THEY ARE READY TO MAKE AN EXCEPTION HOPING THAT TALL TABLE WILL INCREASE THIER CHANCES TO SEE A CELEBRITY . THEN TALL TABLE WILL MAKE CUSTOMER STAY FOR A LONGER TIME PERIOD AND THESE CUSTOMERS WILL UNNECESSARY BLOCK TABLE AND PROSPECTIVE CUSTOMERS WILL NOT BE SERVED. MEANING LOSS

(C) A customer of the Hollywood who would choose to sit at a tall table would be an exception to the generalization about lingering.
MEANING ANY CUSTOMER WHO WOULD SIT ON TALL TABLE IN HOLLYWOOD RESTAURANT IS A CRAZY, STALKER, STARRY EYED, CELEBRITY OBSESSED FOOL AND WILL NOT LEAVE THE RESTAURANT JUST HOPING AND HOPING THAT HE WOULD SEE A CELEBRITY ANYTIME SOON. AND THUS HIS BEHAVIOUR WILL AFFECT SALES AND PROFIT OF HOLLYWOOD RESTAURANT. (I WENT OVER THE TOP BECAUSE AT TIMES CR CAN BE TOO TAXING ON BRAIN AND A LITTLE SMILE GOES A LONG WAY TO SOOTHE THE NERVES :-D :-D :-D )

_________________
Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.
Marshall & McDonough Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 13 Apr 2015
Posts: 1680
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 00:16
Hi GMATNinja / souvik101990

Isnt' this a weaken question? C seems to strengthen the conclusion rather than to weaken it.

1. Currently there are standard height tables and customers prefer tall tables.
2. Time spent by a customer who sits on stool < Time spent by a customer who uses standard tables

Conclusion: Replace some existing tables with tall tables and stools --> Increase profits

(C) a customer of the Hollywood who would choose to sit at a tall table would be an exception to the generalization about lingering --> Since exception is used here, doesn't it mean that a customer who chooses to sit at a tall table doesn't spend much time lingering? If this is the case then the turnover will be more and will lead to increased profits. Is my understanding wrong here?

Can you please explain why C is the right answer choice?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables.   [#permalink] 21 Jun 2017, 00:16

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 31 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

At present the Hollywood Restaurant has only standard-height tables.

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne