Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618877 [5]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618877 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [0]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Re: At the beginning of the year in town X, 30% of the population had libe [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
At the beginning of the year in town X, 30% of the population had liberal values. At the end of the year the total population had grown by 12% and the proportion of the population with liberal values had decreased by 5%. From the beginning of the year to the end of the year what was the approximate percent increase in the number of people in town x with non-liberal values?

A. 9%

B. 10%

C. 12%

D. 15%

E. 17%

Are You Up For the Challenge: 700 Level Questions

Beginning => Let there be 100 people => 30 with liberal and 70 with non liberal values
End of the year => Population grew by 12% that means there are 112 people and liberal values population decreased by 5% that mean it is 25 % now
Therefore, Of 112 people there are 28 people with liberal values and 84 people with non-liberal values

% Increase = \(\frac{New - Initial }{ Initial }\) = \(\frac{84-70}{70}\) = \(\frac{14}{70} = 20% \)

But there is no option for 20%

If I use % Increase = \(\frac{New - Initial }{ New} \)=\( \frac{84-70}{84} \)= \( \frac{14}{84} ~= 17% \) which is Answer E. But I wonder if I can take a new value in the denominator.

Need help!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: At the beginning of the year in town X, 30% of the population had libe [#permalink]
shameekv1989 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
At the beginning of the year in town X, 30% of the population had liberal values. At the end of the year the total population had grown by 12% and the proportion of the population with liberal values had decreased by 5%. From the beginning of the year to the end of the year what was the approximate percent increase in the number of people in town x with non-liberal values?

A. 9%

B. 10%

C. 12%

D. 15%

E. 17%

Beginning => Let there be 100 people => 30 with liberal and 70 with non liberal values
End of the year => Population grew by 12% that means there are 112 people and liberal values population decreased by 5% that mean it is 25 % now
Therefore, Of 112 people there are 28 people with liberal values and 84 people with non-liberal values

% Increase = \(\frac{New - Initial }{ Initial }\) = \(\frac{84-70}{70}\) = \(\frac{14}{70} = 20% \)

But there is no option for 20%

If I use % Increase = \(\frac{New - Initial }{ New} \)=\( \frac{84-70}{84} \)= \( \frac{14}{84} ~= 17% \) which is Answer E. But I wonder if I can take a new value in the denominator.

Need help!!

I am trying to solve it for some time and I have the same problem. But i dont think it is possible to divide by the new when they ask for the percent increase from start to finish.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1728 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

A. 9%

B. 10%

C. 12%

D. 15%

E. 17%

Bunuel is it % percent increase in non-liberal or % decrease liberal view?
None of the answers match
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Problem Solving (PS) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92904 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts