GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 29 Mar 2020, 19:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

At the beginning of the year in town X, 30% of the population had libe

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Math Expert
V
At the beginning of the year in town X, 30% of the population had libe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2020, 04:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

48% (03:14) correct 52% (03:21) wrong based on 19 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

At the beginning of the year in town X, 30% of the population had liberal values. At the end of the year the total population had grown by 12% and the proportion of the population with liberal values had decreased by 5%. From the beginning of the year to the end of the year what was the approximate percent increase in the number of people in town x with non-liberal values?

A. 9%

B. 10%

C. 12%

D. 15%

E. 17%

Are You Up For the Challenge: 700 Level Questions

D
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Re: At the beginning of the year in town X, 30% of the population had libe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2020, 05:21
Bunuel wrote:
At the beginning of the year in town X, 30% of the population had liberal values. At the end of the year the total population had grown by 12% and the proportion of the population with liberal values had decreased by 5%. From the beginning of the year to the end of the year what was the approximate percent increase in the number of people in town x with non-liberal values?

A. 9%

B. 10%

C. 12%

D. 15%

E. 17%

Tag shows it's a 600-700 level question.
Bunuel can you check.

GMATPREP1 590(Q48,V23) March 6, 2019
GMATPREP2 610(Q44,V29) June 10, 2019
GMATPREPSoft1 680(Q48,V35) June 26, 2019
Math Expert
V
Re: At the beginning of the year in town X, 30% of the population had libe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2020, 05:24
lnm87 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 9%

B. 10%

C. 12%

D. 15%

E. 17%

Tag shows it's a 600-700 level question.
Bunuel can you check.

Corrected the tag. Thank you.
G
GMAT 1: 570 Q41 V27
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2020, 05:55
Bunuel wrote:

A. 9%

B. 10%

C. 12%

D. 15%

E. 17%

Beginning => Let there be 100 people => 30 with liberal and 70 with non liberal values
End of the year => Population grew by 12% that means there are 112 people and liberal values population decreased by 5% that mean it is 25 % now
Therefore, Of 112 people there are 28 people with liberal values and 84 people with non-liberal values

% Increase = \(\frac{New - Initial }{ Initial }\) = \(\frac{84-70}{70}\) = \(\frac{14}{70} = 20% \)

But there is no option for 20%

If I use % Increase = \(\frac{New - Initial }{ New} \)=\( \frac{84-70}{84} \)= \( \frac{14}{84} ~= 17% \) which is Answer E. But I wonder if I can take a new value in the denominator.

Need help!!
Intern
Intern
B
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
At the beginning of the year in town X, 30% of the population had libe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2020, 06:17
shameekv1989 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 9%

B. 10%

C. 12%

D. 15%

E. 17%

Beginning => Let there be 100 people => 30 with liberal and 70 with non liberal values
End of the year => Population grew by 12% that means there are 112 people and liberal values population decreased by 5% that mean it is 25 % now
Therefore, Of 112 people there are 28 people with liberal values and 84 people with non-liberal values

% Increase = \(\frac{New - Initial }{ Initial }\) = \(\frac{84-70}{70}\) = \(\frac{14}{70} = 20% \)

But there is no option for 20%

If I use % Increase = \(\frac{New - Initial }{ New} \)=\( \frac{84-70}{84} \)= \( \frac{14}{84} ~= 17% \) which is Answer E. But I wonder if I can take a new value in the denominator.

Need help!!

I am trying to solve it for some time and I have the same problem. But i dont think it is possible to divide by the new when they ask for the percent increase from start to finish.
Director
Director
V
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2020, 19:47
Bunuel wrote:

A. 9%

B. 10%

C. 12%

D. 15%

E. 17%

Bunuel is it % percent increase in non-liberal or % decrease liberal view?
None of the answers match

Keep it simple. Keep it blank
GMAT Club Bot
Re: At the beginning of the year in town X, 30% of the population had libe   [#permalink] 21 Feb 2020, 19:47

At the beginning of the year in town X, 30% of the population had libe

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics