GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 01:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Atrocities against women are always unacceptable in any society. Howev

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
V
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Atrocities against women are always unacceptable in any society. Howev  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2018, 18:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

22% (01:28) correct 78% (01:38) wrong based on 181 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Atrocities against women are always unacceptable in any society. However, it is more important to denounce such acts in developed societies than in developing/underdeveloped societies even though the number and the intensity of such atrocities are likely to be lower in developed societies. After all, developed societies are looked up to as ideal societies, as paving the path for developing and underdeveloped societies, and so should not tolerate any degree of atrocities against women. Additionally, support for feminist movements often originates in developed societies and the governments in these societies should be more acutely aware of the requirement of their support in case of atrocities against women.

Which one of the following is a proper inference from the passage?

A. All governments have control over atrocities against women in their societies.
B. Some atrocities against women are more opprobrious than others.
C. Lapse in supporting women in developed societies does not bode well for developing/underdeveloped societies.
D. Atrocities against women are more likely in developed societies than elsewhere.
E. Governments in developed societies can more effectively control atrocities against women than other governments.

source - Expert Global

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.9
Re: Atrocities against women are always unacceptable in any society. Howev  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 03:47
OA seems to be wrong here. The arguments does not compare between the seriousness of various atrocities. It is comparing attitude towards them in developed world against developing/underdeveloped. I would go with C.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Atrocities against women are always unacceptable in any society. Howev  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 07:17
Is the answer Correct ? I opted for C.
Math Expert
V
Atrocities against women are always unacceptable in any society. Howev  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 07:19
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 11:00
Aadhitthyaa wrote:

B because the argument does mention degrees of atrocities. From this, we can infer some are more opprobius than others.

C cannot be derived.
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 21:15
GMATNinja mikemcgarry abhimahna Maxximus

I think the OA is wrong here. The answer should be C.

The argument says that developing and underdeveloped societies look up to developed societies and treat them as their ideal. Therefore developed societies should not tolerate any degree of atrocities against women.

B. Some atrocities against women are more opprobrious than others.
It is given that the number and the intensity of such atrocities are likely to be lower in developed societies. But that is just a premise and not the overall concern of the argument.

C. Lapse in supporting women in developed societies does not bode well for developing/underdeveloped societies.
Yes IMO this goes well with the whole motive of the argument.

Could you please tell as to why C is wrong. I am not able to find a reason to eliminate this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the Gods, All the Heavens, and All the Hells lie within you.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2018, 00:55
Chef wrote:
Aadhitthyaa wrote:

B because the argument does mention degrees of atrocities. From this, we can infer some are more opprobius than others.

C cannot be derived.

I beg to disagree. The statement from the passage - "After all, developed societies are looked up to as ideal societies, as paving the path for developing and underdeveloped societies, and so should not tolerate any degree of atrocities against women.", clearly allows for deriving C.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2018, 04:55
Here's how I see this.
Atrocities against women are always unacceptable in any society.
ok - So Atrocities are not acceptable at all

However, it is more important to denounce such acts in developed societies than in developing/underdeveloped societies even though the number and the intensity of such atrocities are likely to be lower in developed societies.
-- Well although they are unacceptable, its more important to denounce them in developed countries.
and why is it so?

After all, developed societies are looked up to as ideal societies, as paving the path for developing and underdeveloped societies, and so should not tolerate any degree of atrocities against women.
-- Here's the reason -
Because Developing countries look up to the developed countries. So developed countries should not tolerate ANY atrocity against women.

Additionally, support for feminist movements often originates in developed societies and the governments in these societies should be more acutely aware of the requirement of their support in case of atrocities against women.
Just add on information..

So what can we infer?
Although atrocity is unacceptable generally, its just cannot happen in a developed country.. and why? Because developing countries consider developed countries as ideal. So we are saying that atrocity in a developed country is really really bad compared to something similar in a developing country.
SO ... we can infer B.. Some atrocities (the one's in developed countries) are more disgraceful than others (in developing countries)

Why did I eliminate C?
we are not really talking whether developed societies support women. Also this comes after the fact (of an atrocity). So atrocity first and then supporting women who suffered .

Here's a similar LSAT argument
https://gmatclub.com/forum/it-is-even-m ... 32955.html
Atrocities against women are always unacceptable in any society. Howev &nbs [#permalink] 03 Jul 2018, 04:55

Atrocities against women are always unacceptable in any society. Howev

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap