Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:59 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2285 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Avalanches at Rogers Pass in Glacier National Park killed more than [#permalink]
Expert Reply
himanshu0123 wrote:
in 2nd clause of A], we have used 'they' twice-

''but they are now controlled if not prevented; cannons are fired at the slopes to make snow masses fall before they become dangerous''

is there anything wrong in using two pronouns referring to different nouns. I do not see any ambiguity here that which 'they' refers to what. It seems clear to me from the context.

Hello himanshu0123,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, there is indeed an issue with pronoun usage in Option A; a pronoun and its derivatives can only be used to refer to one noun in a sentence.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Avalanches at Rogers Pass in Glacier National Park killed more than [#permalink]
egmat wrote:
MPRS22 wrote:
Dear experts how do we know that in A, the they is referring specifically to the older ones?

Thanks

AndrewN VeritasKarishma

Hello MPRS22,
Thank you for the query. :-)

Although your query is not for me, here are my two cents anyway. :-)

We must bear in mind that a pronoun is a replacement for a particular noun in the sentence. When a pronoun is used in place of a particular noun, it stands for that specific noun only. It represents its antecedent with all its modifiers.

In the original sentence, the pronoun "they" has been used as the replacement for "Avalanches". However, the sentence talks about very specific avalanches in the first part. The use of "they" represents the very same avalanches as the pronoun is the mere replacement of the noun used in the sentence. But we understand that the second part of the sentence does not intend to talk about the very same avalanches. The meaning conveyed thus by Choice A is no logical. Therefore, the use of the pronoun "they" leads to the meaning error in Choice A.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi egmat / Shraddha - i thought your error above was ACROSS all 5 answer choices.

Specifically (D) and (E) refers to "such avalanches"

The term : "Such avalanches" - gave me the impression that (D) and (E) also were referring to the "old avalanches"

How can one be sure that "Such avalanches" DOES NOT REFER to the old avalanches
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Avalanches at Rogers Pass in Glacier National Park killed more than [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
How can one be sure that "Such avalanches" DOES NOT REFER to the old avalanches

By definition, "such NOUNs" means "NOUNs that are similar to the ones previously described"—a broader category.

This wording cannot be used to mean the same NOUNs previously described" (a meaning for which you would want those NOUNs instead).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 168
WE:Corporate Finance (Accounting)
Send PM
BillyZ wrote:
Avalanches at Rogers Pass in Glacier National Park killed more than 200 people between 1885 and 1910, but they are now controlled if not prevented; cannons are fired at the slopes to make snow masses fall before they become dangerous.

(A) Avalanches at Rogers Pass in Glacier National Park killed more than 200 people between 1885 and 1910, but they

(B) More than 200 people have been killed by avalanches between 1885 and 1910 at Rogers Pass in Glacier National Park, but they

(C) Between 1885 and 1910, more than 200 people were killed by avalanches at Rogers Pass in Glacier National Park, but they

(D) More than 200 people have been killed by avalanches at Rogers Pass in Glacier National Park between 1885 and 1910, but such avalanches

(E) Avalanches at Rogers Pass in Glacier National Park killed more than 200 people between 1885 and 1910, but such avalanches

SC67561.01

Hello Experts ,
avigutman DmitryFarber
AnthonyRitz

No one is talking about the Prepositional Phrase modifier Between 1885 and 1910 .
What is the correct placement of the above modifier ?

Modified Option D'.

Option D'-More than 200 people were killed by avalanches between 1885 and 1910 at Rogers Pass in Glacier National Park , but such avalanches

Quote:
Now let's compare Option D' and Option E

Option D'- More than 200 people were killed by avalanches between 1885 and 1910 at Rogers Pass in Glacier National Park , but such avalanches

Here , Between 1885 and 1910 is modifying avalanches

Option E - Avalanches at Rogers Pass in Glacier National Park killed more than 200 people between 1885 and 1910, but such avalanches

Here , Between 1885 and 1910 is modifying more than 200 people

Why am I asking such question ?

Because I was confused -what is the meaning intended by the author :-
Whether more than 200 people were killed between 1885 and 1910 by avalanches.
or
Whether Avalanches between 1885 and 1910 killed more than 200 people.

Thanks
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Avalanches at Rogers Pass in Glacier National Park killed more than [#permalink]
Expert Reply
PriyamRathor wrote:
BillyZ wrote:
Avalanches at Rogers Pass in Glacier National Park killed more than 200 people between 1885 and 1910, but they are now controlled if not prevented; cannons are fired at the slopes to make snow masses fall before they become dangerous.

(A) Avalanches at Rogers Pass in Glacier National Park killed more than 200 people between 1885 and 1910, but they

(B) More than 200 people have been killed by avalanches between 1885 and 1910 at Rogers Pass in Glacier National Park, but they

(C) Between 1885 and 1910, more than 200 people were killed by avalanches at Rogers Pass in Glacier National Park, but they

(D) More than 200 people have been killed by avalanches at Rogers Pass in Glacier National Park between 1885 and 1910, but such avalanches

(E) Avalanches at Rogers Pass in Glacier National Park killed more than 200 people between 1885 and 1910, but such avalanches

SC67561.01

Hello Experts ,
avigutman DmitryFarber
AnthonyRitz

No one is talking about the Prepositional Phrase modifier Between 1885 and 1910 .
What is the correct placement of the above modifier ?

Modified Option D'.

Option D'-More than 200 people were killed by avalanches between 1885 and 1910 at Rogers Pass in Glacier National Park , but such avalanches

Quote:
Now let's compare Option D' and Option E

Option D'- More than 200 people were killed by avalanches between 1885 and 1910 at Rogers Pass in Glacier National Park , but such avalanches

Here , Between 1885 and 1910 is modifying avalanches

Option E - Avalanches at Rogers Pass in Glacier National Park killed more than 200 people between 1885 and 1910, but such avalanches

Here , Between 1885 and 1910 is modifying more than 200 people

Why am I asking such question ?

Because I was confused -what is the meaning intended by the author :-
Whether more than 200 people were killed between 1885 and 1910 by avalanches.
or
Whether Avalanches between 1885 and 1910 killed more than 200 people.

Thanks

Hello PriyamRathor,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the two sentence constructions you have put together convey what is essentially the same meaning, so the placement of "between 1885 and 1910" is not particularly important here.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts