GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 17:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

AWA Review Assessment

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
AWA Review Assessment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 01:11
Hi,
I am looking for any feedback or advice on my practice AWA essay. This is my first attempt. Thanks in advance :)

PROMT:
The following appeared in a memorandum from the director of human resources to the executive officers of Company X:
"Last year, we surveyed our employees on improvements needed at Company X by having them rank, in order of importance, the issues presented in a list of possible improvements. Improved communications between employees and management was consistently ranked as the issue of highest importance by the employees who responded to the survey. As you know, we have since instituted regular communications sessions conducted by high-level management, which the employees can attend on a voluntary basis. Therefore, it is likely that most employees at Company X now feel that the improvement most needed at the company has been made."

RESPONSE:
The argument that Company X has improved the communications between employees and management has been addressed and improved has been made omits some important concerns that must be addresses to substantiate the argument. The final statement that it is likely that most employees at Company X now feel that the improvement most needed at the company has been made does not constitute a logical argument, furthermore the use of the survey for data collection and the vague language does not provide support or proof of the main argument.
Most noticeably the argument does not address the cause of the problem. Firstly, the argument assumes that the outcome of the voluntary communications sessions addressed the problem identified by the survey. The results and the employee satisfaction with the outcome of the communications sessions is unknown. To strengthen this argument pre and post testing of the communications sessions would need to be collected and analysed.
Secondly, Company X undertook communications sessions based on findings from a survey. The number of employees surveyed was not addressed. The statement that identified the employees who responded to the survey, further highlights the need for the percentage of staff who responded to the survey as this affects the accuracy of the results. To strengthen this argument, the number of respondents, the percentage of staff who responded and further details on the other listed areas of improvements n the survey need to be identified.
Thirdly, the argument uses vague language. The comments of regular communications sessions and consistently ranked are non-conclusive in the number or ranking. To strengthen this argument the number of regular communication sessions in a time period including the length and content of the sessions would need to be presented. Furthermore, the numerical value of the rankings from the employees should be stated.
In conclusion, because the argument leaves out cause and effect of the problem, is based of non-conclusive survey results and uses vague langue to elaborate the solution the argument is not thorough or convincing.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V33
Re: AWA Review Assessment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2018, 23:50
You may want to increase the length of the write up and proof read it for grammatical errors.You may also attack the argument by saying that the conclusion lies on the assumption that the list of issues was actually comprehensive enough to accomodate all the problems/issues that the employees had been facing. In arguments like these, attacking the survey technique is the easiest. That's my 2 cent for you :)
Director
Director
V
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: AWA Review Assessment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 03:46
You may find this post useful:-

https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6 ... 64327.html

All the best!!

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

GMAT Club Bot
Re: AWA Review Assessment &nbs [#permalink] 12 Aug 2018, 03:46

AWA Review Assessment

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap