GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 23:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Babson vs Purdue

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Babson vs Purdue  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2018, 08:10
Hello! My final decision has come down to choosing between Babson and Purdue. I’ve been admitted to their 2 year full time MBA Programs. I’m interested in the finance concentration and my goal is to work in the financial services industry.
Purdue will cost me approx $69K and Babson will cost me $93K, both after deducting scholarship. Purdue is known more for its operations and supply chain concentration and Babson is known for its entrepreneurship and finance; course wise I find Babson better.
However Purdue MBA is ranked higher than Babson; except for the Financial Times MBA Finance 2017 rankings where Babson is ranked 36 out of 50 and Purdue is not on the list.
Ive heard really mixed reviews about Babson due to which I’m really confused.
Please share your views on this and help me with this decision.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Babson vs Purdue  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2018, 08:51
If you are an international applicant, I highly recommend the school that will cost you less.

It also happens to be the bschool thats better ranked and has a more balanced student body. Babson seems to have a very large % of international students.

PS. Krannert is not going to handing you a job or an internship either and you will have to work for one on your own. That’s a reality if any non Top 10 school for an international applicant.

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2018, 08:55
Thank you so much for your response. However, majority of the class at Krannert goes for SCM; very few for finance, so how does that help? Their finance course also isn’t great! Isn’t that bad?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Current Student
D
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2018, 08:56
I have been saying it for the last couple of years now, but here you go again -> One of the worst mistakes that any International MBA student looking to seek employment in the US can make is joining Babson. It the only program in the Top 60-70 rankings that does not offer a full ride or a decent scholarship for an MBA program. Its tuition is high as MIT and its reputation is as bad as it gets. A large portion of its student body is International.

With the money, without the money -> Purdue is the clear choice here!
Purdue's MBA program has been gaining a lot of momentum in the past few years. There employment reports looks pretty awesome.

The only reason why you want to end up at Babson is because you want a start a business right after your MBA. But there is no reason why you cannot do that with Purdue.

I encourage you to ditch Babson here and go with the Purdue!

P.S -> Get in touch with the International students at Babson to get a more clear picture.

MBA Financing:- INDIAN PUBLIC BANKS vs PRODIGY FINANCE!

Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA!

The MOST AFFORDABLE MBA programs!

STONECOLD's BRUTAL Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

AVERAGE GRE Scores At The Top Business Schools!

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2018, 09:01
riyab wrote:
Thank you so much for your response. However, majority of the class at Krannert goes for SCM; very few for finance, so how does that help? Their finance course also isn’t great! Isn’t that bad?

LOL. There are many bad things but you are picking between the 2 lesser evils, not between Wharton and Booth.

PS. The reason they go for SCM and not MBB or IB because those are the only/best jobs they can get/find. It’s not because the school somehow prohibits them from getting finance, consulting, or IB jobs

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2018, 09:08
stonecold wrote:
I have been saying it for the last couple of years now, but here you go again -> One of the worst mistakes that any International MBA student looking to seek employment in the US can make is joining Babson. It the only program in the Top 60-70 rankings that does not offer a full ride or a decent scholarship for an MBA program. Its tuition is high as MIT and its reputation is as bad as it gets. A large portion of its student body is International.

With the money, without the money -> Purdue is the clear choice here!
Purdue's MBA program has been gaining a lot of momentum in the past few years. There employment reports looks pretty awesome.

The only reason why you want to end up at Babson is because you want a start a business right after your MBA. But there is no reason why you cannot do that with Purdue.

I encourage you to ditch Babson here and go with the Purdue!

P.S -> Get in touch with the International students at Babson to get a more clear picture.

Thank you so much for your views. I spoke to a friend of mine who is a current student at Babson MBA and he is of the opinion that Babson has a much better reputation in finance compared to Purdue. And so have a lot of other people. Which is why the confusion. The reviews have been really mixed. I still have a lot of time to decide, so I will get in touch with more students and alumni. Thank you for your quick response! It makes a lot of sense. Really appreciate it.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2018, 09:24
bb wrote:
riyab wrote:

LOL. There are many bad things but you are picking between the 2 lesser evils, not between Wharton and Booth.

PS. The reason they go for SCM and not MBB or IB because those are the only/best jobs they can get/find. It’s not because the school somehow prohibits them from getting finance, consulting, or IB jobs

I was referring to the concentration and not the job industry! The majority of the class opts for SCM concentration, so I find that to be pretty unbalanced. Anyway what you said also makes sense, so thank you for your views. Really appreciate it.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.43
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2018, 13:59
I'm an undergraduate at Purdue right now and I spend a lot of time talking with current Krannert MBAs and meeting the professors. Krannert has a really helpful office called Krannert Professional Development Center that has the exact stats, but I know that there a good deal of students who find Finance positions at Fortune 500 companies after graduation (especially companies with big Operations departments like Eli Lilly and Caterpillar).

MBB does not recruit at Purdue, but Deloitte and PwC LOVE Purdue degrees. I have been told that networking is a key part of getting the competitive jobs, and that the top students are railroaded into interviews by their professors and alumni with clout.

To be completely fair, I don't have familiarity with Babson but I thought I'd contribute anyways. Hope this helps!
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2018, 14:07
riyab wrote:

I was referring to the concentration and not the job industry! The majority of the class opts for SCM concentration, so I find that to be pretty unbalanced. Anyway what you said also makes sense, so thank you for your views. Really appreciate it.

Thanks for clarifying. I think the SCM folks can chime in about the concentration. What will be annoying for you however is options for finance classes and your interests. Small schools can’t offer many elective options unfortunately.

However, most employers won’t make a hiring decision because of a sub note on a diploma or classes you have taken or not taken so the MBA is going to be just fine and good enough. Similarly, employers won’t care about your undergrad degree - whether it was psychology or business. So it is not a weakness for the opportunities but it is a weakness in other ways.

Founder of GMAT Club

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2018, 14:12
celam wrote:
I'm an undergraduate at Purdue right now and I spend a lot of time talking with current Krannert MBAs and meeting the professors. Krannert has a really helpful office called Krannert Professional Development Center that has the exact stats, but I know that there a good deal of students who find Finance positions at Fortune 500 companies after graduation (especially companies with big Operations departments like Eli Lilly and Caterpillar).

MBB does not recruit at Purdue, but Deloitte and PwC LOVE Purdue degrees. I have been told that networking is a key part of getting the competitive jobs, and that the top students are railroaded into interviews by their professors and alumni with clout.

To be completely fair, I don't have familiarity with Babson but I thought I'd contribute anyways. Hope this helps!

Purdue is a very strong undergrad brand. The BSchool has a different ranking though. I am assuming you are speaking about jobs for undergrads and that happens often - great opportunities for undergrad but little for MBA grads.

Feel free to clarify in case you have data for the mba program.

PS. One of the moderators got an mba from Krannert and he found it difficult to get a great job after graduation using Krannerts brand.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.43
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2018, 14:58
bb wrote:
celam wrote:

Purdue is a very strong undergrad brand. The BSchool has a different ranking though. I am assuming you are speaking about jobs for undergrads and that happens often - great opportunities for undergrad but little for MBA grads.

Feel free to clarify in case you have data for the mba program.

PS. One of the moderators got an mba from Krannert and he found it difficult to get a great job after graduation using Krannerts brand.

*I can't post URLS cause I haven't been around on the forum long enough, so please excuse the workaround on getting you to these websites*

I was speaking about the MBA program more than the undergrad, but I think that is a great point about undergrad opportunities differing from MBA opportunities. Here's what the MBA career office say about recruiting, and as you'll notice, the mix of industry and the list of employers is unique, to say the least: Google "purdue kpdc placement data" and take the first link

Specifically to the Finance specialization, check this page out: Google "Purdue MBA Finance option area" and take the first link
The finance specialization has some electives that are spelled out here, but I agree that there is not a ton of flexibility to pick and choose, and I have no reference to say how great the MBA Finance classes are, except I've heard good things about the undergrad classes with the same subjects and some of the same professors.

I can understand how Krannert's brand does not lend itself to the traditionally great jobs. The brand has been gathering some momentum recently, and they're pushing for the companies that recruit Purdue undergrads to start taking more MBA students too. I'd love to know more about the mod's experience with recruiting though. I am considering a Krannert MBA simply because of its relative affordability, and my main fear is that I'd struggle marketing the brand, above and beyond the undergrad brand.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2018, 19:44
bb wrote:
riyab wrote:

Thanks for clarifying. I think the SCM folks can chime in about the concentration. What will be annoying for you however is options for finance classes and your interests. Small schools can’t offer many elective options unfortunately.

However, most employers won’t make a hiring decision because of a sub note on a diploma or classes you have taken or not taken so the MBA is going to be just fine and good enough. Similarly, employers won’t care about your undergrad degree - whether it was psychology or business. So it is not a weakness for the opportunities but it is a weakness in other ways.

Yes, Babson has about 25 elective options for the corporate finance track and babson has only 8-9! Which is why i stated that course wise Babson is way better! But well yeah employers are going to look at the overall degree more than the courses. And my undergrad was in business, and I’m also pursuing CFA, so that can add value probably.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2018, 19:50
celam wrote:

Thank you so much celam! This was very helpful.

SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2018, 03:31
riyab wrote:
Hello! My final decision has come down to choosing between Babson and Purdue. I’ve been admitted to their 2 year full time MBA Programs. I’m interested in the finance concentration and my goal is to work in the financial services industry.
Purdue will cost me approx $69K and Babson will cost me $93K, both after deducting scholarship. Purdue is known more for its operations and supply chain concentration and Babson is known for its entrepreneurship and finance; course wise I find Babson better.
However Purdue MBA is ranked higher than Babson; except for the Financial Times MBA Finance 2017 rankings where Babson is ranked 36 out of 50 and Purdue is not on the list.

Hi riyab,

In light of your goals, have you applied to higher schools such Columbia, Stern.....etc which are known for finance??? Why did you apply to those schools in particular? Are you international student?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2018, 03:43
Mo2men wrote:
riyab wrote:

Hi riyab,

In light of your goals, have you applied to higher schools such Columbia, Stern.....etc which are known for finance??? Why did you apply to those schools in particular? Are you international student?

Yes, I am an international student. The reason I didn’t apply to these schools is that my work experience is only of 20 months! And GMAT 690; these schools require higher work ex!

SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2018, 04:08
riyab wrote:
Yes, I am an international student. The reason I didn’t apply to these schools is that my work experience is only of 20 months! And GMAT 690; these schools require higher work ex!

I do not want to sound negative but I do support bb and stonecold about many views. However, I would suggest something else. Think about your odds as international student with only 20 month of experience and non-finance school, would this help you?

IMHO, you need to get seasoned and make yourself attractive to employers, especially you experiences won't help you make much money if recruited. you won't get the benefit of the MBA program becauseof with low experience. You have starting point. You may enhance your GMAT above 700 and keep until 2 years when you have 4 years of experience and reapply to higher schools. Again, this is me.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2018, 09:53
With just 2 years of work experience, you will need to rely on your network heavily to land an internship and a job.
No matter how amazing (which it is not) career services may be at Krannert, let's just assume it is - you will still lose to most of your classmates and will be passed by employers when it comes to getting chosen for internships and jobs since many of them will be more accomplished professionally and will have work authorization.

Not having a green card/work authorization (OPT does not count and even takes extra effort with STEM and 3 years), you will be limited to the companies you can apply for (many will not want to undergo the process of sponsoring you and in that case, it makes no sense for them to train you and invest time into you).

Again, not an impossible task to find an internship and a job and it is quite possible you can best others in your class with better presentation/public speaking skills or perhaps you are more persistent or whatever, but what we are trying to prepare you for, is that the chances are stacked against you. Sometimes people win with chances of 100 to 1 but in 99% of cases, they don't. Your chances are better than that and to succeed you will have to work really really hard. It will be a constant uphill battle. You won't get any breaks.

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club Bot
Babson vs Purdue &nbs [#permalink] 06 Mar 2018, 09:53

Babson vs Purdue

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap