GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 18:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Based on detailed research and analysis conducted over 20 years, stati

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 May 2015
Posts: 97
GMAT 1: 630 Q39 V38
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V44
Based on detailed research and analysis conducted over 20 years, stati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2015, 15:41
2
5
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (00:44) correct 34% (00:57) wrong based on 269 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Based on detailed research and analysis conducted over 20 years, statisticians at NYU have come to the conclusion that there is no advantage to using financial advisors who pick individual stocks over simply investing in broad index funds.

A) Based on detailed research and analysis conducted over 20 years
B) With 20 years of detailed research and analysis conducted
C) Using detailed research and analysis conducted over 20 years
D) By the detailed research and analysis conducted over 20 years
E) Basing it on 20 years of detailed research and analysis
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1133
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Based on detailed research and analysis conducted over 20 years, stati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 00:22
2
Statisticians cannot be based on something. They use research to reach the conclusion. Given sentence is incorrect.
none of the options except C can even appear correct.

with seems to indicate that research is already conducted and statisticians have come to a conclusion.
There appeared as if there is no seeming connection between the two statements. B is incorrect.

By the detailed research wrongly modifies the statisticians.
persons cannot be by the research.

E is completely wrong. the pronoun it although seems to refer conclusion, its usage here is ambiguous and also you cannot base a conclusion on duration of 20 years.
duration of research is also wrong usage.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 17
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Based on detailed research and analysis conducted over 20 years, stati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2015, 11:26
Mechmeera wrote:
Statisticians cannot be based on something. They use research to reach the conclusion. Given sentence is incorrect.
none of the options except C can even appear correct.

with seems to indicate that research is already conducted and statisticians have come to a conclusion.
There appeared as if there is no seeming connection between the two statements. B is incorrect.

By the detailed research wrongly modifies the statisticians.
persons cannot be by the research.

E is completely wrong. the pronoun it although seems to refer conclusion, its usage here is ambiguous and also you cannot base a conclusion on duration of 20 years.
duration of research is also wrong usage.



Thanks Mechmeera
I have a query here. No doubt I have also ruled out B,D & E as they were completely wrong but got confused over A & C . I really don't see any change of meaning or grammatical mistake in A. A is wrong only because we are talking about statistician here or if we change it to scientists then what should be the answer?- "A".

Please explain

Thanks a lot
_________________

Thanks & regards

Kaushik

Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1133
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Based on detailed research and analysis conducted over 20 years, stati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2015, 11:33
1
Kaushikghosh wrote:
Mechmeera wrote:
Statisticians cannot be based on something. They use research to reach the conclusion. Given sentence is incorrect.
none of the options except C can even appear correct.

with seems to indicate that research is already conducted and statisticians have come to a conclusion.
There appeared as if there is no seeming connection between the two statements. B is incorrect.

By the detailed research wrongly modifies the statisticians.
persons cannot be by the research.

E is completely wrong. the pronoun it although seems to refer conclusion, its usage here is ambiguous and also you cannot base a conclusion on duration of 20 years.
duration of research is also wrong usage.


Thanks Mechmeera
I have a query here. No doubt I have also ruled out B,D & E as they were completely wrong but got confused over A & C . I really don't see any change of meaning or grammatical mistake in A. A is wrong only because we are talking about statistician here or if we change it to scientists then what should be the answer?- "A".

Please explain

Thanks a lot

The point behind A is
A human being can use the data but cannot be himself based on sth.
Whether the term to refer human is statisticians or scientists does not matter here. The result is same.
I hope this helps :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Sep 2014
Posts: 15
Location: United States
Schools: ISB '17 (A), IIMB (I)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
Re: Based on detailed research and analysis conducted over 20 years, stati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2015, 11:44
1
Here the phrase before the comma is modifying the noun following the comma. Thus, we cannot use 'based' since the statisticians or their existence is not "based" on anything. Rather, the statisticians are "using" some kind of analysis/data to arrive at a conclusion. Thus, clearly C is the correct answer.

This is a particular type of SC question and just while reading, I could predict what is being tested. So was able to arrive at the correct answer in about 10 sec. But of course, I'd strongly recommend that you read the complete statement and all answer choices carefully in the real exam. In fact, I did get one of this type in my actual GMAT - I was surely glad to see it ;-)
_________________

Good luck!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 17
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: Based on detailed research and analysis conducted over 20 years, stati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2015, 13:03
Suzie wrote:
Here the phrase before the comma is modifying the noun following the comma. Thus, we cannot use 'based' since the statisticians or their existence is not "based" on anything. Rather, the statisticians are "using" some kind of analysis/data to arrive at a conclusion. Thus, clearly C is the correct answer.

This is a particular type of SC question and just while reading, I could predict what is being tested. So was able to arrive at the correct answer in about 10 sec. But of course, I'd strongly recommend that you read the complete statement and all answer choices carefully in the real exam. In fact, I did get one of this type in my actual GMAT - I was surely glad to see it ;-)




Thanks a lot suzie for your explanation!!
_________________

Thanks & regards

Kaushik

Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4482
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Based on detailed research and analysis conducted over 20 years, stati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2015, 13:22
At least in the initial stages, one should go through the official guides. They can help us to understand basic concepts well. For example, see an OG question cited below.
based-on-accounts-of-various-ancient-writers-scholars-have-80746.html

Based on accounts of various ancient writers, scholars have painted a sketchy picture of the activities of an all-female cult that, perhaps as early as the sixth century B.C., worshipped a goddess known in Latin as Bona Dea, “the good goddess.”

(A) Based on accounts of various ancient writers
(B) Basing it on various ancient writers’ accounts
(C) With accounts of various ancient writers used for a basis
(D) By the accounts of various ancient writers they used
(E) Using accounts of various ancient writers

The correct answer is E.
_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 3177
Premium Member
Re: Based on detailed research and analysis conducted over 20 years, stati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2018, 08:23
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Based on detailed research and analysis conducted over 20 years, stati &nbs [#permalink] 19 Apr 2018, 08:23
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Based on detailed research and analysis conducted over 20 years, stati

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.