It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 10:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Because chickens lack teeth, they need another way to break apart the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 275 [1], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Because chickens lack teeth, they need another way to break apart the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2012, 18:49
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:14) correct 53% (01:17) wrong based on 721 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Because chickens lack teeth, they need another way to break apart the food they eat before reaching the stomach, and for this reason, chickens have a gizzard in which stones they swallow are used to grind their food.

(A) before reaching the stomach, and for this reason, chickens have a gizzard in which stones they swallow are used to grind their food.
(B) before it reaches the stomach, and for this reason, chickens have a gizzard in which stones they have swallowed is used to grind their food.
(C) before it reaches the stomach, and for this reason, chickens have a gizzard in which stones they swallow are used to grind their food.
(D) before reaching the stomach, and for this reason, chickens have a gizzard in which stones they have swallowed is used to grind their food.
(E) before it reaches the stomach, and for this reason, chickens have a gizzard in which stones they have swallowed are used to grind their food.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
This question focuses on verb tense and agreement, as well as general rhetorical construction. In this sentence all of the verbs agree with their subjects. However, the phrase before reaching the stomach does not have a clear subject. It appears to modify they, the chickens, instead of food. The present tense verb swallow should be replaced with the present perfect verb have swallowed in order to indicate that the swallowing occurred before the use of the stones.

A) The phrase before reaching the stomach does not have a clear subject. It appears to modify they, the chickens, instead of food.The present tense verb swallow should be replaced with the present perfect verb have swallowed in order to indicate that the swallowing occurred before the use of the stones.

B) The singular verb is does not agree with the plural subject stones. Is should be in the plural form are.

C) swallow should be in past perfect have swallowed

D) The phrase before reaching the stomach does not have a clear subject. It appears to modify they, the chickens, instead of food. The singular verb is does not agree with the plural noun stones. Is should be in the plural form are.

E) This sentence is correct as is. In this sentence all of the verbs agree with their subjects and are in the correct tenses. The modifying phrases do not allow for any confusion.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 275 [1], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 54

Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15, NUS '16
GMAT Date: 08-27-2013
GPA: 3.46
WE: Project Management (Other)
Reviews Badge
Re: Because chickens lack teeth, they need another way to break apart the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2013, 11:55
i have a doubt how the phrase "before reaching the stomach" modifies chicken,in my view the phrase is clearly modifying the "food".

.........................................................................................
Please give me kudos if my posts help.

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 54

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 419 [0], given: 4

Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Re: Because chickens lack teeth, they need another way to break apart the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2013, 12:10
Hi Pavanapaone, You're absolutely correct, it should modify 'food'.

The fact that it does not clearly do this in A is one of the reasons it is wrong.

Answer E resolves this, (and the other mistakes in the original - as described by the OE in the original post)

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Kudos [?]: 419 [0], given: 4

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 412 [2], given: 56

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2014, 22:27
This post received
KUDOS
gorsar wrote:
Why C is wrong?
Can anyone explaine please?

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Between C & E
C) before it reaches the stomach, and for this reason, chickens have a gizzard in which stones they swallow are used to grind their food.
This option doesn't clearly tell us whether Chickens swallow stones to grind food or Chickens grind food using stones that are previously swallowed.

E) before it reaches the stomach, and for this reason, chickens have a gizzard in which stones they have swallowed are used to grind their food.
Correctly states that the stones, swallowed previously, grind food.

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Kudos [?]: 412 [2], given: 56

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 183 [4], given: 623

Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Mannheim
GMAT 1: 560 Q46 V22
GPA: 3.1
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2014, 15:28
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Because chickens lack teeth, they need another way to break apart the food they eat before reaching the stomach, and for this reason, chickens have a gizzard in which stones they swallow are used to grind their food.

A) before reaching the stomach, and for this reason, chickens have a gizzard in which stones they swallow are used to grind their food.
B) before it reaches the stomach, and for this reason, chickens have a gizzard in which stones they have swallowed is used to grind their food.
C) before it reaches the stomach, and for this reason, chickens have a gizzard in which stones they swallow are used to grind their food.
D) before reaching the stomach, and for this reason, chickens have a gizzard in which stones they have swallowed is used to grind their food.
E) before it reaches the stomach, and for this reason, chickens have a gizzard in which stones they have swallowed are used to grind their food.

All the best peeps..!i dont mind receiving Kudos btw :wink:

ITS NOT OVER , UNTIL I WIN ! I CAN, AND I WILL .PERIOD.

Kudos [?]: 183 [4], given: 623

3 KUDOS received
G

Kudos [?]: 1445 [3], given: 270

GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V34
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2014, 02:14
This post received
KUDOS
A) before reaching the stomach, and for this reason, chickens have a gizzard in which stones they swallow are used to grind their food- There is no subject for "before reaching the stomach"- So Eliminate.

B) before it reaches the stomach, and for this reason, chickens have a gizzard in which stones they have swallowed is used to grind their food- stones is plural, so the verb also has to be plural. But here it is singular (is)- So Eliminate.

C) before it reaches the stomach, and for this reason, chickens have a gizzard in which stones they swallow are used to grind their food- present perfect is need here. Not present (swallow)- Since it is an ongoing activity after every meal- Hence Eliminate.

D) before reaching the stomach, and for this reason, chickens have a gizzard in which stones they have swallowed is used to grind their food-Same as A. Singular verb "is" does not agree with plural subject "stones"- So eliminate

E) before it reaches the stomach, and for this reason, chickens have a gizzard in which stones they have swallowed are used to grind their food- Here all S-V agreement is perfect. Also no modifier errors.

So the answer is E.

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

Kudos [?]: 1445 [3], given: 270

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2016, 05:00
Isn't it that the part which talks about gizzard is a fact about chickens and should use a present tense i.e. swallow. Please explain.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2016, 09:38
deepakrawlani wrote:
Isn't it that the part which talks about gizzard is a fact about chickens and should use a present tense i.e. swallow. Please explain.

"Swallow" refers to the stones. The chickens need to have swallowed the stones before they eat something else, in order make the stones grind the food inside the chickens' stomach.
It's a really tricky one, actually. I'd say it lingers much more on someone's reading comprehension than the usual stock rules about sentence correction.

To clarify: the other ("the stones they swallow") would be grammatically correct as well, but wouldn't make things as clear-cut as the OA. I'm not 100% sure that you'd find something as subtle as this in the official exam, nevertheless.

One of the rarest breeds of potential GMAT test-takers. Sucks at maths, (usually) rocks linguistic syntax and morphology.
Lil' sign humbly asks of thee: please do be charitable with kudos in case he's helping you in the "Sentence Correction" forum, his natural habitat as a grammar geek. With everyone's help he shall be able to afford a proper tuition and perhaps rediscover the congruence criteria for triangles.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Top Contributor
8 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7869 [8], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2016, 12:36
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The requirement of a perfect tense for the swallowing of stones is debatable and dubious. It is not that the chicks swallow stones first and then use those stones for grinding the following food. Because chicks eat food from bare ground mostly, every time the eat their staple food, they ingest stones. In farm grown conditions, since the chicks may not get adequate quantity stones, it is not uncommon to mix hard shell grits in the mash to aid digestion and provide additional calcium. Therefore, swallowing stones is a concurrent and ongoing affair. As such, we do not indicate ongoing processes in perfect tense. Therefore I would discount E as the correct choice, but vote C.

Agree with Lowryder that something as quibbling as this may not find its way onto the GMAT.

Now one parting gift for the day; take this case:
1. We get nutrition from the food we take
2. We get nutrition from the food we have taken.
Which is the normal way of saying?

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Last edited by daagh on 15 Aug 2016, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 7869 [8], given: 363

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Schools: HKUST '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2016, 13:52
Two key points i see in this question:

1) what reach the stomach? noun/pronoun is missing
2) "swallow stone" must happen before drinding food , so present perfect is needed

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2016, 02:15
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2016, 10:07
Advice: those sources that are not specified should be kicked out of the question bank.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 01:36
sivasanjeev wrote:
gorsar wrote:
Why C is wrong?
Can anyone explaine please?

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Between C & E
This option doesn't clearly tell us whether Chickens swallow stones to grind food or Chickens grind food using stones that are previously swallowed.

Correctly states that the stones, swallowed previously, grind food.

many official gmat questions test us the difference between present perfect and simple present. while present simple talk about timeless fact, habit, or status, an action which generally have no time, present perfect talk about time of actions, an action continuing to present or an action which happened in the past but its resuts is relevant to present. we should review the uses of these two tenses in grammar books, but dont study it too far.

back to choice C.
swallowing is not a timeless fact, habit or status . it need a time , so present simple tense is incorrect for "swallow" in C. E is better.

another way of looking problem is sequence which is explained above
this is not official question but good question because it test the point gmat test, difference between present simple and present perfect.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 916

Chat Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 139

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 07:48
why is C incorrect here? Isn't simple present preferred here?

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 139

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3280 [3], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2017, 08:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
warriorguy wrote:
why is C incorrect here? Isn't simple present preferred here?

The action "are used" can be done only AFTER the action "swallow". Therefore present perfect is better to depict this sequence.

Kudos [?]: 3280 [3], given: 22

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 76 [1], given: 18

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2017, 16:06
This post received
KUDOS
A) before reaching the stomach, and for this reason, chickens have a gizzard in which stones they swallow are used to grind their food.
what reaches the stomach?
B) before it reaches the stomach, and for this reason, chickens have a gizzard in which stones they have swallowed is used to grind their food.
is used is wrong because the stones are used.stones are plural.
the tense is wrong, the stones they have swallowed must be used.
D) before reaching the stomach, and for this reason, chickens have a gizzard in which stones they have swallowed is used to grind their food.
same as A
Correct pronoun usage.

Kudos [?]: 76 [1], given: 18

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 135

GPA: 3.9
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 20:39
Hi Expert,

I don't know how and when chicks swallow the stones. Just by reading the original sentence, how can I determine that stones are swallowed first to digest the food ?

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 1170 [2], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 00:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This is not a good question, and it's definitely not one of ours! Can someone please change the attribution?

We would never need to bring in outside knowledge of whether stones are swallowed before or after eating, and as daagh points out, the entire distinction doesn't make much sense.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 1170 [2], given: 29

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

GPA: 3.9
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 00:30
DmitryFarber wrote:
This is not a good question, and it's definitely not one of ours! Can someone please change the attribution?

We would never need to bring in outside knowledge of whether stones are swallowed before or after eating, and as daagh points out, the entire distinction doesn't make much sense.

Thanks DmitryFarber for confirming it.

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 10

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 02:45

B and D instant elimination S-V agreement error stones....is....
Since swallowing of food is ongoing activity so present perfect would makes more sense then simple present
In A and C they swallow is not appropriate in comparison to they have swallowed
Answer is E

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 10

Re: Because chickens lack teeth, they need another way to break apart the   [#permalink] 30 Mar 2017, 02:45

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 24 posts ] 

Because chickens lack teeth, they need another way to break apart the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap