GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Apr 2019, 08:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Because city council members in small towns are intimately

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2010
Posts: 106
Because city council members in small towns are intimately  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2013, 06:31
Because city council members in small towns are intimately acquainted with the public they serve, they clearly have a more difficult job than city council members in larger cities.

The conclusion above rests on which of the following assumptions?
Working directly with members of the public is the one of the most challenging aspects of serving on a city council.
Managing the affairs of a large city requires a more significant time commitment than working directly with the public.
City council members in small towns are often related to a certain percentage of the population, making them intimately acquainted with the people they serve.
Residents of small towns often attend city council meetings to present their concerns.
City council members in large cities rarely engage the public directly.


what should be the answer to the above question and how to approach this ?

OA after some discussion
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 1159
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Because city council members in small towns are intimately  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2013, 07:26
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 5
Re: Because city council members in small towns are intimately  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2013, 01:40
Almost all of above posts support A...quite surprising!!
A tells: A is doing a X work , clearly A works more than B-> assumption X is most challenging work.
I am not able to digest it.... :stupid
rather I assume that B does hardly do this kind of work.
my take is E.

please help me to clear cobwebs from my mind....
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2012
Posts: 1006
Location: United States
Re: Because city council members in small towns are intimately  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2013, 17:26
1
focus2k13 wrote:
Almost all of above posts support A...quite surprising!!
A tells: A is doing a X work , clearly A works more than B-> assumption X is most challenging work.
I am not able to digest it.... :stupid
rather I assume that B does hardly do this kind of work.
my take is E.

please help me to clear cobwebs from my mind....


Hi focus2k13

For assumption question, you need to extract the conclusion. The assumption is an unstated premise that helps the conclusion hold. There are two types of assumption: defender and supporter. If you're interested, read Power Score CR bible. it really helps.

Analyze the question.
Premise: council members in small towns are intimately acquainted with the public they serve
Conclusion: their job are more difficult than those of city council members in large cities.

Because there's a gap between conclusion and premise, the assumption must be supporter that can link the conclusion and the premise and make the conclusion hold. Structure here is: X are acquainted with public, so X's job is more difficult than Y's. There is a gap between "acquainted" and "difficult". Why "acquainted with public" is more difficult? Because in order to acquaint with public, city council member must work directly with them. It also means council members in large cities do NOT have to work directly with public. Please see "why E is wrong" below, you will see how pivotal this assumption is.

A says: Working directly with members of the public is the one of the most challenging aspects of serving on a city council - CORRECT.

Why E is wrong.
E says: City council members in large cities rarely engage the public directly. What does it mean? It means city council members in large cities also have to work directly with public, but not so often as council members in small towns do. More clearly, it means the difficult level of job between council member in small towns and council member in large cities is THE SAME, because they do the same tasks. The only difference is HOW OFTEN they work directly with public. Hence, we cannot say which job is more difficult, we can only conclude who work directly with public more often than other.

I hope my answer could help you a little bit.

_______________________________
Please kudo if you want to say "thank you"!
_________________
Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Dec 2011
Posts: 299
Re: Because city council members in small towns are intimately  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2013, 18:34
Most conspicuous link between the conclusion and assumption in option A can be found with the keywords "difficult" (in conclusion) and "challenging" (in option A).
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: struggling with GMAT
Joined: 06 Dec 2012
Posts: 120
Location: Bangladesh
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Re: Because city council members in small towns are intimately  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2013, 15:25
Archit143 wrote:
Because city council members in small towns are intimately acquainted with the public they serve, they clearly have a more difficult job than city council members in larger cities.

The conclusion above rests on which of the following assumptions?

Working directly with members of the public is the one of the most challenging aspects of serving on a city council.
Managing the affairs of a large city requires a more significant time commitment than working directly with the public.
City council members in small towns are often related to a certain percentage of the population, making them intimately acquainted with the people they serve.
Residents of small towns often attend city council meetings to present their concerns.
City council members in large cities rarely engage the public directly.


Consider Kudos, If my post helps!!!!

Archit


I picked A.option a fulfills the gap.......
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3364
Re: Because city council members in small towns are intimately  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2013, 04:46
Rock750 wrote:
BTW great great one !!! I'm still considering option E as well :?

Thanks Archit143 !

+1 for u



I agrre with you. Totally.

The problem with E is that it adresses hal of the story. If we have P - A - C.......E stays more than A towards C. Instead A stays perfectly in the middle between P and C. you know what I mean ??

:)

However rock look at what Ian Stewart pointed out before ;) It's crucial
_________________
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Final Lap
Joined: 25 Oct 2012
Posts: 229
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)
Re: Because city council members in small towns are intimately  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2013, 04:58
carcass wrote:
Rock750 wrote:
BTW great great one !!! I'm still considering option E as well :?

Thanks Archit143 !

+1 for u



I agrre with you. Totally.

The problem with E is that it adresses hal of the story. If we have P - A - C.......E stays more than A towards C. Instead A stays perfectly in the middle between P and C. you know what I mean ??

:)

However rock look at what Ian Stewart pointed out before ;) It's crucial


Yup, i think i get you option A is the assumption that fills the gap bewtween the P and the C whereas E is like what u said would stay more than A toward C if we had P-A-C ; i don't think i read what Ian Stewart said but i'll give it a look right now
:wink:
_________________
KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Feb 2015
Posts: 287
Re: Because city council members in small towns are intimately  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 10:01
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!
_________________
Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Because city council members in small towns are intimately   [#permalink] 26 Jul 2017, 10:01

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Because city council members in small towns are intimately

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.