GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 00:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 10 Keys to nail DS and CR questions

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

06:00 PM PST

07:00 PM PST

Join our live webinar and learn how to approach Data Sufficiency and Critical Reasoning problems, how to identify the best way to solve each question and what most people do wrong.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

Because there is not a linguistic census in france, as there

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Because there is not a linguistic census in france, as there  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Aug 2018, 00:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:14) correct 36% (01:17) wrong based on 538 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Because there is not a linguistic census in France, as there is for Britain, there is difficulty in estimating the number of speakers of Brento, a Celtic language.

(A) Because there is not a linguistic census in France, as there is for Britain, there is difficulty in estimating

(B) Because there is no linguistic census in France, unlike Britain, it is difficulty to estimate

(C) Unlike Britain, there is no linguistic census in France, and that fact makes for difficulty in estimating

(D) There is not a linguistic census in France, as there is for Britain, a fact making for difficulty in the estimation of

(E) There is no linguistic census in France, as there is in Britain, a fact that makes it difficult to estimate

Initially, I couldn't decide between B and E, but eventually picked B, which was wrong.
I was thinking about why B wasn't the answer, and came up with a couple of reasons.

Reason 1) census is a countable noun.
Reason 2) "Unlike Britain" is awkward.

Are those right?

Originally posted by eybrj2 on 02 Mar 2012, 10:03.
Last edited by hazelnut on 15 Aug 2018, 00:49, edited 4 times in total.
edited the structure of the sentence; moved author's analysis into a spoiler.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 3.47
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Because there is not a linguistic census in france, as there  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2012, 10:36
I think B is wrong because "it is difficulty to estimate" is incorrect
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2012, 02:20
E
As is used to compare two clauses.

The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 540 Q41 V23
GMAT 3: 610 Q39 V35
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2012, 10:00
Hey,

IMO,

Improper comparison employed in 'B', in 'B' Britain as a whole is being compared to a fact in France. If the sentence were to be worded as 'Unlike in Britain', i guess 'B' would have been correct.

we are left with 'E'.

Character is what you have left when you've lost everything you can lose!

Obliterated into oblivion 630 -> 540 -> A Big SOS!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2012, 22:07
Are you sure you have copied the question correctly? The english seems so bad on some of the answers, it sounds like third grade english and totally NOT GMAT like. (e.g. it is difficulty to estimate) :lol:

Yes agree with E as the answer.
There is not a linguistic census in France is AWKWARD. Rule out A and D.
Comparison error in C and B. We don't know what Britain is being compared to?
So, that leaves us with E.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2012, 07:37
In B 'Because' and 'Unlike' appear together - which is incorrect
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2012, 10:15
Because there is not a linguistic census in france, as there is for Britain, there is difficulty in estimating the number of speakers of Brento, a Celtic language.

A)

B) Because there is no linguistic census in france, unlike Britain, it is difficulty to estimate

c) Unlike Britain, there is no linguistic census in France, and that fact makes for difficulty in estimating.

d) There is not a linguistic census in france, as there is for britain, a fact making for difficulty in the estimation of

e) There is no a linguistic census in france, as there is in Britain, a fact that makes it difficult to estimate.

Initially, I couldn't decide between B and E, but eventually picked B, which was wrong.
I was thinking about why B wasn't the answer, and came up with a couple of reasons.

Reason 1) census is a countable noun. countable/un countable noun is not tested here, rather you can find a flaw with the sentence opener "because"and its association with the rest of the sentence.
Reason 2) "Unlike Britain" is awkward.actual construction of unlike is - unlikeX,Y OR X unlike Y which is not present in (B)

Are those right?

hope it helps !

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Retired Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2012, 10:43
I think the error in choice B is that "in France" does not parallel with "(not have in) Britain". This is the only simple thing we can discover the error in choice B.

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 12:03
If the original poster has posted the ans choices correctly, THEN.....

B is utterly wrong because : It is DIFFICULTY to estimate ( the word in caps pushes it into the abyss )

If we consider it to be a typo, THEN........ Bxn B n E

The intent : there is no census in France but the same is not true for Britain.

B : there is no census in France, unlike Britain..........

No census is compared to the whole country : GROSS ---- Eliminated

E : No census in France, as there is in Britain...... ( correctly conveys the intent of the sent : In France - No Census , In Britain - Census Yes )

Thus E outweighs B.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 22:46
E is the only answer that is remotely correct. I got to say the question seems very awkward.

"There is no a linguistic census"?? Is this even correct??
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2012, 19:58
I would go with E by POE but still not convinced about the first part of the sentence sounds fishy.

There is no a linguistic census in France - could someone elaborate on this usage

the split was between B and E, B has incorrect usage of "unlike"
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2014, 21:22
[quote="thevenus"]Because there is not a linguistic census in france, as there is for Britain, there is difficulty in estimating the number of speakers of Brento, a Celtic language.

A)

B) Because there is no linguistic census in france, unlike Britain, it is difficulty to estimate

c) Unlike Britain, there is no linguistic census in France, and that fact makes for difficulty in estimating.

d) There is not a linguistic census in france, as there is for britain, a fact making for difficulty in the estimation of

e) There is no a linguistic census in france, as there is in Britain, a fact that makes it difficult to estimate.

"unlike" in B and C has not referent.
"making for difficulty" in D is not idiomatic.

why A is wrong?
the only error I see in A is that "estimating" is not correct. to refer to a general action, we use a noun not a doing if that noun exist. if there is no noun, we have to use doing. the meaning of "estimation" is not the meaning of participle, the form "doing" used to refer to a noun in the sentence.

so, we should use "estimation" not "estimating" in A.

regarding E.
"a fact, that..." can modify one of 2 preceding clauses, "there is no a linguistic..." and " as there is in britain". So, "a fact, that..." is correct though "a fact, that..." make us thing, at first, that it modifies the touching clause, " there is in britain"

I wish you share your thought of choice A and E. this is a hard problem, and though it dose not appear in og books, it dose on gmatprep paper test

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA (https://www.facebook.com/entermba)
GRE 1: Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2014, 00:44
A: "in France" and "for Britain" are not parallel.

--Prasad
EnterMBA

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2014, 23:24
prasi55 wrote:
A: "in France" and "for Britain" are not parallel.

we do not the parallelism here. the main problem is that "for britain" is wrong in a. because "for britain " means "as there is a center for britain". the phrase "center for britain" makes no sense. the center for britain can be in Viet nam.

we can accept the non parallel pattern as long as the meaing is clear. the point of parallelism can only be considered after meaning and grammar points are considered. only when 2 choices are grammartical and meaningfull, the parallelism is considered.

so, a has 2 problem, "estimating" and "for britain"

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2014, 23:11
eybrj2 wrote:
Because there is not a linguistic census in france, as there is for Britain, there is difficulty in estimating the number of speakers of Brento, a Celtic language.

A)

Reason 1) census is a countable noun.
Reason 2) "Unlike Britain" is awkward.

Are those right?

@eybrj2 - Please read the forum rules before posting any question. Please make sure to underline sentence correction questions to avoid any confusion.
Explanation -
Re-read the entire sentence and try to make out the meaning. The sentence says that there is a linguistic senses in Britain but not in France. Hence this is creating a difficulty to estimate the number of speakers of Brento in France.
A - incorrectly signifies that there is a linguistic senses for britain rather than in britain. So out.
B - The last statement is incorrectly written "it is difficulty". Initially I selected the option B because I didn't looked at the last part of the sentence.
C and D out for the same reason that last part of sentence is not properly written.
E- correct all the errors and is the right answer.
Hope that helps.
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 19:33
eybrj2 wrote:

A)

Answer choices in this question are poorly typed.
Answer choice "E" cannot possibly be correct because of the "a" in "There is no [a] linguistic census in france..." but we can assume that the "a" was a typographical error. Not something I would do on the real GMAT though.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2018, 23:59
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Because there is not a linguistic census in france, as there &nbs [#permalink] 11 Aug 2018, 23:59

Because there is not a linguistic census in france, as there

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap