Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Because there is not a linguistic census in France, as there is for Br [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
aditijain1507 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
KARISHMA315 wrote:
GMATCoachBen GMATNinja @VeritasKarishma ChiranjeevSingh

Can one of you please clarify below doubt , I rejected A and B thinking that after the "because" part, we should have the subject of the sentence. Is that correct approach ?

Because there is not a linguistic census in France, as there is for Britain, there is difficulty in estimating

SC cardinal rule #1: do not invent rules. :)

There's no reason why I can't write this:

"Because of his kids' tiny bladders, Tim made several hundred pit-stops during his trip to scenic New Jersey."

There's no subject immediately after "because," but it's not wrong. I could also write this:

"Because there are goblins under his bed, Tim's son likes to sleep with a broad sword by his night table."

You could argue that the subject is "there" or that "there" is a placeholder for the real subject, but either way, it's not an error.

In other words, that's not a valid reason to get rid of (A) and (B). See this post for better reasons to eliminate those options.

I hope that helps!

but, GMATNinja , in option e, aren't two independent clause connected with a comma? Doesn't that make it wrong?

Imagine you saw the part after the comma on its own:

"A fact that makes it difficult to estimate."

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it? We've got the noun, "fact," followed by a modifier describing the fact. But "fact" needs a verb if this piece is going to stand on its own! So there's no independent clause here, just a long modifier describing the previous clause.

The takeaway: make sure that what you think is an independent clause can really stand on its own! (And recognize that trigger words such as "that," "which," and "who" are sometimes giveaways that we're looking at a modifier, rather than an independent clause.)

I hope that clears things up!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
Re: Because there is not a linguistic census in France, as there is for Br [#permalink]
eybrj2 wrote:
Because there is not a linguistic census in France, as there is for Britain, there is difficulty in estimating the number of speakers of Brento, a Celtic language.

(A) Because there is not a linguistic census in France, as there is for Britain, there is difficulty in estimating

"census in France" vs. (census) "for Britain" - OUT

(B) Because there is no linguistic census in France, unlike Britain, it is difficult to estimate

"census in France" vs. "Britain" - OUT

(C) Unlike Britain, there is no linguistic census in France, and that fact makes for difficulty in estimating

"Britain" vs. the clause "there is no linguistic census" - OUT

(D) There is not a linguistic census in France, as there is for Britain, a fact making for difficulty in the estimation of

Same as (A)

(E) There is no linguistic census in France, as there is in Britain, a fact that makes it difficult to estimate

BINGO!

SC54561.01

Initially, I couldn't decide between B and E, but eventually picked B, which was wrong.
I was thinking about why B wasn't the answer, and came up with a couple of reasons.

Reason 1) census is a countable noun.
Reason 2) "Unlike Britain" is awkward.

Are those right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Schools: Sloan '25 (D)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
EMPOWERgmatVerbal GMATNinja KarishmaB can you delve deeper on the issues of last part of the sentence? "there is difficulty in estimating/ it is difficult to estimate/ fact makes for difficulty in estimating/ act making for difficulty in the estimation of"

Thank you! :please:

Beware of tunnel vision! Sometimes if you focus too much on one part of the sentence, you miss other issues, particularly in a question like this where the errors are unusually subtle. Take another look:

Quote:
(A) Because there is not a linguistic census in France, as there is for Britain, there is difficulty in estimating

First, the phrase "for Britain" is odd. Why would we compare a census in France to a census for Britain? Was a census taken somewhere other than Britain, but then delivered to the Brits for analysis?

I also don't like "difficulty in estimating." If there's trouble in Denmark, Denmark is the location of the trouble. But "estimating" clearly isn't a location. I'd much rather see the clearer "difficult to estimate." Still, I know what the writer means, and this isn't a grammar error, so I'm not 100% comfortable eliminating this choice yet.

For now I'll hang on to (A), but everything else is going to have be a complete mess for me to really consider this.

Quote:
(B) Because there is no linguistic census in France, unlike Britain, it is difficult to estimate

"Like" must compare nouns. Here, it seems to compare the prepositional phrase, "in France" to the noun "Britain." That's a problem. (B) is out.

Quote:
(C) Unlike Britain, there is no linguistic census in France, and that fact makes for difficulty in estimating

Another comparison problem. Either we're comparing "Britain" to "there" or we're again comparing "Britain" to "in France." Either way, (C) is no good.

Quote:
(D) There is not a linguistic census in France, as there is for Britain, a fact making for difficulty in the estimation of

This is like (A), but worse. Again, we have the illogical phrase, "for Britain."

And then the phrase "a fact making for difficulty in the estimation" is a dumpster fire. At first I read "fact making" the way I might have read "fact-finding," an interpretation that makes no sense. And I see no reason to write "difficulty in the estimation" when I could just say "difficult to estimate."

Again, no real grammar issue, but the meaning issues here are even more problematic than they are in (A), so I'm happy to give (D) the boot.

Quote:
(E) There is no linguistic census in France, as there is in Britain, a fact that makes it difficult to estimate

I don't love this, but it's less terrible than the others. Now we're comparing the census in France to the one in Britain. And we have the cleaner, more logical, "difficult to estimate." Both of these constructions are improvement over what we saw in (A).

The only element that gives me pause is the "it," but, as the always-wise notes in a previous post, this seems to be a rare instance of a pronoun that doesn't really refer to anything. The sentiment is clear enough. What is difficult? To estimate is difficult. Makes sense.

I may not love (E), but it's the best of the bunch.

I hope that helps!

Hi GMATNinja, could you please go over if there are any issues with "there is no linguistic census" vs "there is not a linguistic census"? Thanks!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
jonbon wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
EMPOWERgmatVerbal GMATNinja KarishmaB can you delve deeper on the issues of last part of the sentence? "there is difficulty in estimating/ it is difficult to estimate/ fact makes for difficulty in estimating/ act making for difficulty in the estimation of"

Thank you! :please:

Beware of tunnel vision! Sometimes if you focus too much on one part of the sentence, you miss other issues, particularly in a question like this where the errors are unusually subtle. Take another look:

Quote:

First, the phrase "for Britain" is odd. Why would we compare a census in France to a census for Britain? Was a census taken somewhere other than Britain, but then delivered to the Brits for analysis?

I also don't like "difficulty in estimating." If there's trouble in Denmark, Denmark is the location of the trouble. But "estimating" clearly isn't a location. I'd much rather see the clearer "difficult to estimate." Still, I know what the writer means, and this isn't a grammar error, so I'm not 100% comfortable eliminating this choice yet.

For now I'll hang on to (A), but everything else is going to have be a complete mess for me to really consider this.

Quote:

"Like" must compare nouns. Here, it seems to compare the prepositional phrase, "in France" to the noun "Britain." That's a problem. (B) is out.

Quote:

Another comparison problem. Either we're comparing "Britain" to "there" or we're again comparing "Britain" to "in France." Either way, (C) is no good.

Quote:

This is like (A), but worse. Again, we have the illogical phrase, "for Britain."

And then the phrase "a fact making for difficulty in the estimation" is a dumpster fire. At first I read "fact making" the way I might have read "fact-finding," an interpretation that makes no sense. And I see no reason to write "difficulty in the estimation" when I could just say "difficult to estimate."

Again, no real grammar issue, but the meaning issues here are even more problematic than they are in (A), so I'm happy to give (D) the boot.

Quote:

I don't love this, but it's less terrible than the others. Now we're comparing the census in France to the one in Britain. And we have the cleaner, more logical, "difficult to estimate." Both of these constructions are improvement over what we saw in (A).

The only element that gives me pause is the "it," but, as the always-wise notes in a previous post, this seems to be a rare instance of a pronoun that doesn't really refer to anything. The sentiment is clear enough. What is difficult? To estimate is difficult. Makes sense.

I may not love (E), but it's the best of the bunch.

I hope that helps!

Hi GMATNinja, could you please go over if there are any issues with "there is no linguistic census" vs "there is not a linguistic census"? Thanks!

Hello jonbon,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, both of these clauses are grammatically correct and convey the same meaning; "there is no linguistic census" is just the more direct and concise of the two.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts