Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Before being simplified, the instructions for computing income tax in [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma - Wanted to laser focus on the word "Units" in the expression : 100 units of Country R's currency

Lets say - Country R is France (we all know France's currency is the Euro)

Thus 100 units of Country R's currency translates to 100 units of France's currency. This then translates to 100 units of Euro (as France's currency IS the Euro)

Isn't the word "Units" redundant in the expression 100 units of Euro ?

I dont see how 100 units of Euro can be thought of as the same as 100 Euro ?

We will normally use 100 Euro but what if we do not know what the currency is?
We can say 100 units of that currency. It could translate to 100 Euros or to 100 Dollars or to 100 Yen etc

Hi VeritasKarishma - If I don't know the currency of the country but i am in need for 100 worth of amount of its currency. I think the expression i would use would be :

100 worth of amount of Country R's currency

I don't think i would say : 100 units of Country R's currency because the word units implies "number of notes" and not "amount totalling 100"

The term "units" is commonly used in Mathematics when the actual units are unknown.
e.g.
10 units of distance (means 10 metres or 10 feet or 10 inches or whatever other unit is being followed)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 572
Send PM
Re: Before being simplified, the instructions for computing income tax in [#permalink]
How do we know that the "Average" doesnt assume 101 units (100 units of the currency and 1 item of the 2%) -- so wouldnt we think to divide by 101 rather than 2?

Quote: "average (arithmetic mean) of 100 units of country R’s currency and 1 percent of one’s annual income"
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi testtakerstrategy,

It might help to think about what exactly you are "averaging" and why. Here, we're averaging 2 things: "100 units of currency" and "1% of one's annual income", so you're probably thinking about either dividing by 2 or dividing by 101. Dividing by 101 wouldn't make much sense, since we're not asked to find the average of all of all 101 individual items (and both references are clearly in terms of the Country R's currency). The only other option would be to divide by 2, which would make sense, since we're trying to determine the calculation for the amount of income tax (and the prompt is clearly discussing the formula for that).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
Math Expert
92918 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts