Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 27 May 2017, 21:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Before George Eliot became the popular and respected

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2010
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2010, 01:33
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (01:44) correct 41% (00:57) wrong based on 273 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist known as George Eliot, she had been an anonymous translator and essayist

(A) Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist known as George Eliot, she had been
(B) Before she had been the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot she was
(C) George Eliot has been popular and respected novelist, George Eliot after such time as she was
(D) Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot,she was
(E) George Eliot, before she was the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot, had been
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by nguyendinhtuong on 20 May 2017, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reformatted question
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2010
Posts: 195
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 29

Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2010, 17:20
all the other answer choices seems either too wordy or awkward...my choice was A - it made more sense

B --> the last part is not correct- "george eliot she was" atleast the comma was misplaced...
C--> incorrect
D --> redundant "george eliot", the should have been "a"
E --> again... 2 instances of her name is wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Posts: 446
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 157

Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2010, 04:26
The question is wrong. Had been does not make sense.

http://www.beatthegmat.com/george-eliiiot-t22156.html

Please correct, it only confuses others.
_________________

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Status: battlecruiser, operational...
Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Posts: 981
Schools: Carey '16
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 71

Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2010, 11:20
I'd probably go with A even thought I see the problem with the "had been" tense issue.
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2010
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2010, 23:05
please read the thread that you have shared. The right question has "had been" instead of was.
Question is correct.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 963
Location: Singapore
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 807 [1] , given: 36

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2010, 00:14
1
This post received
KUDOS
When / Before -----> clauses DONT need past perfect for sequencing. So A is wrong.

(A) Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist known as George Eliot, she had been

Should be simple past.

OA should be D. I am convinced. :-D
_________________

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 224
Location: India
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 5

Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2010, 00:43
I selected D, but confused wherther it should be A or D.

Someone please help!!
_________________

Cheers,
Varun


If you like my post, give me KUDOS!!

1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2009
Posts: 152
Location: St. Louis, MO
Schools: Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Followers: 190

Kudos [?]: 435 [1] , given: 6

Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2010, 12:45
1
This post received
KUDOS
I'm reluctant to chime in on this one because I believe there are a couple of transcription errors in the original post (for example, a comma missing in B and the end of the sentence is missing in the given sentence). I'm relying more on the BTG post linked above. Plus, I think it is odd that the name George Eliot is used twice, not because of redundancy, but because of inaccuracy. Before the author became known as George Eliot, she (by definition of "before"!) was not referred to as George Eliot. In case you were wondering, she was known as Mary Anne Evans originally (thanks Wikipedia!).

But all that aside, A is better than D because the commas around George Eliot are incorrect, or at least debatable. "Known as" may be wordier, but it is more correct.

For example:
The popular and often-quoted author Mark Twain lived in Hannibal, Missouri, during his formative years. CORRECT.
The popular and often-quoted author known as Mark Twain lived in Hannibal, Missouri, during his formative years. CORRECT.
The popular and often-quoted author, Mark Twain, lived in Hannibal, Missouri, during his formative years. INCORRECT (or at least less correct).

Some might argue that his name is parenthetical, and the sentence is grammatically complete as "The popular and often-quoted author lived in Hannibal, Missouri, during ...." They'd be right. But it's tough to make the case that the name of this author is optional/unimportant/less important than the generic subject "author."

The real GMAT would make all 4 wrong answers more definitively wrong than that, in my opinion.
_________________


Emily Sledge | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | St. Louis

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 963
Location: Singapore
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 807 [0], given: 36

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2010, 22:23
esledge

Thanks for the explanation. But why is past perfect used in A? It could have been simple past e.g.

Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist known as George Eliot, she was ---> not "had been". Before does the sequencing on the time line.

An example of this is "when" clauses. We know that past perfect is used to sequence two past events. But the exception is "when" clauses. When clauses happen first when both clauses are in simple past tense.

When I paid her one-dollar (1) , she answered my question. (2)
event (1) happened before event (2)

I think same should apply to "before".

esledge wrote:
I'm reluctant to chime in on this one because I believe there are a couple of transcription errors in the original post (for example, a comma missing in B and the end of the sentence is missing in the given sentence). I'm relying more on the BTG post linked above. Plus, I think it is odd that the name George Eliot is used twice, not because of redundancy, but because of inaccuracy. Before the author became known as George Eliot, she (by definition of "before"!) was not referred to as George Eliot. In case you were wondering, she was known as Mary Anne Evans originally (thanks Wikipedia!).

But all that aside, A is better than D because the commas around George Eliot are incorrect, or at least debatable. "Known as" may be wordier, but it is more correct.

For example:
The popular and often-quoted author Mark Twain lived in Hannibal, Missouri, during his formative years. CORRECT.
The popular and often-quoted author known as Mark Twain lived in Hannibal, Missouri, during his formative years. CORRECT.
The popular and often-quoted author, Mark Twain, lived in Hannibal, Missouri, during his formative years. INCORRECT (or at least less correct).

Some might argue that his name is parenthetical, and the sentence is grammatically complete as "The popular and often-quoted author lived in Hannibal, Missouri, during ...." They'd be right. But it's tough to make the case that the name of this author is optional/unimportant/less important than the generic subject "author."

The real GMAT would make all 4 wrong answers more definitively wrong than that, in my opinion.

_________________

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2011
Posts: 256
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 20

Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2011, 22:13
nusmavrik wrote:
When / Before -----> clauses DONT need past perfect for sequencing. So A is wrong.

(A) Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist known as George Eliot, she had been

Should be simple past.

OA should be D. I am convinced. :-D


In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with 'had been' because I can see 2 action items in sequence:
1. She was doing a writer job anonymously
2. She became popular.

So 'had been' with the first action seems to be appropriate.
_________________

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2011
Posts: 256
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 183 [1] , given: 20

Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2011, 22:17
1
This post received
KUDOS
nusmavrik wrote:
esledge

Thanks for the explanation. But why is past perfect used in A? It could have been simple past e.g.

Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist known as George Eliot, she was ---> not "had been". Before does the sequencing on the time line.

An example of this is "when" clauses. We know that past perfect is used to sequence two past events. But the exception is "when" clauses. When clauses happen first when both clauses are in simple past tense.

When I paid her one-dollar (1) , she answered my question. (2)
event (1) happened before event (2)

I think same should apply to "before".

esledge wrote:
I'm reluctant to chime in on this one because I believe there are a couple of transcription errors in the original post (for example, a comma missing in B and the end of the sentence is missing in the given sentence). I'm relying more on the BTG post linked above. Plus, I think it is odd that the name George Eliot is used twice, not because of redundancy, but because of inaccuracy. Before the author became known as George Eliot, she (by definition of "before"!) was not referred to as George Eliot. In case you were wondering, she was known as Mary Anne Evans originally (thanks Wikipedia!).

But all that aside, A is better than D because the commas around George Eliot are incorrect, or at least debatable. "Known as" may be wordier, but it is more correct.

For example:
The popular and often-quoted author Mark Twain lived in Hannibal, Missouri, during his formative years. CORRECT.
The popular and often-quoted author known as Mark Twain lived in Hannibal, Missouri, during his formative years. CORRECT.
The popular and often-quoted author, Mark Twain, lived in Hannibal, Missouri, during his formative years. INCORRECT (or at least less correct).

Some might argue that his name is parenthetical, and the sentence is grammatically complete as "The popular and often-quoted author lived in Hannibal, Missouri, during ...." They'd be right. But it's tough to make the case that the name of this author is optional/unimportant/less important than the generic subject "author."

The real GMAT would make all 4 wrong answers more definitively wrong than that, in my opinion.


As far as I understand, rule that is applicable for 'when' is not applicable for 'before'. 'when' clearly shows two incidents happening immediately, but 'before' does not signify the immediate sequencing.
_________________

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Jan 2012
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2012, 09:56
Chembeti wrote:
As far as I understand, rule that is applicable for 'when' is not applicable for 'before'. 'when' clearly shows two incidents happening immediately, but 'before' does not signify the immediate sequencing.


Agreed :)
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Enjoying the GMAT journey....
Joined: 26 Aug 2011
Posts: 720
Location: India
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 529 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2012, 11:20
yeah..i too believe there is some prob with the Qn...
_________________

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies http://gmatclub.com/forum/three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2010
Posts: 221
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [4] , given: 38

Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2012, 02:59
4
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist known as George Eliot,
she was
an anonymous translator and essayist of formidably far-ranging scholarship.
(A) Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist known as George Eliot,
she was
(B) Before she had been the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot, she was
(C) George Eliot has been the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot, after such time
as she was
(D) Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot, she was
(E) George Eliot, before she was the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot, had been



OA - after some discussion
_________________

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MGMAT 6 650 (51,31) on 31/8/11
MGMAT 1 670 (48,33) on 04/9/11
MGMAT 2 670 (47,34) on 07/9/11
MGMAT 3 680 (47,35) on 18/9/11
GMAT Prep1 680 ( 50, 31) on 10/11/11

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CR notes
http://gmatclub.com/forum/massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142
http://gmatclub.com/forum/1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-critical-reasoning-collection-106783.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html?hilit=chineseburned


Last edited by nguyendinhtuong on 20 May 2017, 08:24, edited 2 times in total.
Merged topic. Please search before posting question.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 27 Apr 2012
Posts: 40
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2012, 08:15
By ear, I would pick A. By strict grammatical rule, I would pick E.
The present past tense in the first half of the sentence calls for past perfect tense and E is the only option with past perfect tense.

My answer is E - keeping my fingers crossed for this one.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jan 2012
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2012, 10:08
IMO E.
Here, we are taking about 2 time frames one in which Eliot was a translator and other in which shw is a novelist... So, I assume past perfect make sens here...
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Dec 2010
Posts: 206
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 26

Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2012, 10:34
imo the answer is A. though the two events occur in the past and one precedes the other, the order of events is perfectly clear even without using past perfect tense(the "before" makes this easier). The comma in e is awkwardly placed.
what is OA?
_________________

this time, we play for keeps

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 9
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q49 V22
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 4: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 5: 660 Q50 V28
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2012, 02:12
I will go with A just because it's the concise of the two probable answers ( A & E)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Sep 2012
Posts: 142
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 27

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2013, 03:33
catfreak wrote:
Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist known as George Eliot,
she was
an anonymous translator and essayist of formidably far-ranging scholarship.
(A) Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist known as George Eliot,
she was
(B) Before she had been the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot, she was
(C) George Eliot has been the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot, after such time
as she was
(D) Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot, she was
(E) George Eliot, before she was the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot, had been



OA - after some discussion


A - Too wordy
B - She had been - Pronoun error
C - Tense Error
D - sounds ok
E - Geaorge Elliot is redundant i guess

OA please, I think its between A and D
_________________

Regards,
Abhinav

GMAT 1 - 580 (Q47 V23) http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-tight-slap-on-face-149457.html

GMAT 2 - 670 (Q48 V34) http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-one-month-off-from-office-and-2-months-hard-work-163761.html#p1297561

“If you don't change your life; your life will change you.”

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2013
Posts: 6
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2013, 21:28
I choose E which, I believe, presents the harmony in verb tense. Wait for the OA.
Re: Before George Eliot became the popular and respected   [#permalink] 29 Jun 2013, 21:28

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 25 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 The exploding popularity of the newest generation of Rock750 4 29 Jun 2013, 16:42
Before George Eliot became the popular and respected catfreak 0 16 Oct 2016, 07:38
3 By the time of Fidelio, it became clear sudhanshushankerjha 9 09 Aug 2016, 16:45
3 Before George Eliot became the popular and respected sharadvdopia 11 08 Apr 2014, 06:52
26 Published anonymously and first attributed to George Eliot, SaraiGMAT 25 01 Aug 2016, 02:30
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Before George Eliot became the popular and respected

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.